Go Fund Me appeal saves British couple trapped in hospital on Koh Samui

webfact

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My guess is they took out travel insurance but do not have a motorcycle license. Their insurance company would have no obligation to pay a red cent. 

If the insurance paid half and the suckers on gofundme paid the other half it looks like these freeloaders paid the grand sum of sweet <deleted> for being morons. That’ll teach em!

17 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

so i am renting a scooter in Thailand and I see it only has one mirror. I say to the lady I need two mirrors. She says OK use this scooter.

So i change scooters and I start to adjust the mirrors so I can see behind me and she says "Why Farang always worry what is behind? Just worry what is in front." 

Has to be a joke right, right... nope probably is a real anecdote

11 hours ago, MRDave said:

They would have been covered if they had payed extra on their insurance for riding a bike. But that costs extra, same as if you were going to go scub diving or partake in some kick boxing. I'm getting really tired of all these freeloaders who do not bother to check if they are insured for their activities. If I can do it. they can do it!

Nonsense. my UK travel insurance covers up to 125cc as standard.

Don't just make things up in order to justify your attacks on people.

You don't know what they have and if or why the insurance company only covered part of their claim.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-abi-amp-rory-get-home

8 minutes ago, Crustyhk said:

My guess is they took out travel insurance but do not have a motorcycle license. Their insurance company would have no obligation to pay a red cent. 

If the insurance paid half and the suckers on gofundme paid the other half it looks like these freeloaders paid the grand sum of sweet FA for being morons. That’ll teach em!

Why would they be freeloaders if they actually purchased travel insurance?

Even if they made a mistake, it doesn't make them freeloaders. So many bitter people around.

49 minutes ago, bristolgeoff said:

Go fund me again I need to be helped I was stupid insurance not pay up.blame the brakes is a good excuse.just like the recent one In Spain .he saw the signs but went down the water slide head first.the end result is a wheel chair at 23 now.the family then begs on just giving or go fund me.insurance not pay not his fault staff at waterpark should have stopped him and warned him.just like the young lady in pai.begging when it goes wrong others will pay for my mistakes.

Goes to show that if you repeat nonsense often enough, you get people who actually believe it.

As has been repeated time and again, head first is the recommended position.

If you are confused about it, watch the video. Aqualandia claim that the girl on the slide next to him is in the correct position. She, of course, is also in the head first position.

https://www.thelocal.es/20190717/family-of-brit-paralysed-at-benidorm-water-park-demand-full-investigation

If you are still confused;

1563382574_foto%20normas%20splash.jpg

On first glance it looks to me that he back was already curved, as his head and body were up too high. So when he hit the water he suffered a hyper-extension of the vertebrae.

So please don't make things up in order to attack people for your own ends. It was a small mistake for which he has suffered badly.

"officials said that foreigners cost the Thai state some 300 million baht annually in unpaid medical bills"

Wow!! 300million baht!! That's huge!!

Almost .0002% of the revenue the Thai Government gets from tourists visiting this country (between 1 and 2.5 trillion baht, depending on which source you read).

How do you say "duty of care" in thai?

18 hours ago, steven100 said:

help me please  !   i'm in urgent need of a holiday and would like to set up Go fund me. I think 300,000 baht should cover it . 

Please send me 30,000 baht first on my Paypal and after one week, you'll have the money on your bank account.

We Nigerians help each other when we can. 

Earlier this year, officials said that foreigners cost the Thai state some 300 million baht annually in unpaid medical bills.

How many of them were from Laos, Cambodia, and Myanmar? They make it look like foreigners from more developed countries couldn't pay their bills.

i always could and will always be able. The right insurance and no problems. 

What about ASEAN and their plans? Didn't really work out well, innit?

"The new policy, which will reportedly cost just 20 baht for 30 days cover is expected to be rolled out before the end of the year."

Which means that hospital costs will skyrocket for the paying customers to cover the losses honoring the government's cut rate payment.

I wonder what why the insurance didn’t pay out totally?

crap insurance?

Maybe because they hired a bike and failed to itemise this as part of their insurance policy ... thus not covered?

In most Oz provider insurance policies for LOS trips if don’t tick/declare intention to be riding a bike or driving then you may not be covered if an accident happens.

be interesting to know the intricacies of this case.

31 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Why would they be freeloaders if they actually purchased travel insurance?

Even if they made a mistake, it doesn't make them freeloaders. So many bitter people around.

Freeloader 

:someone who takes advantage of another’s generosity:

Not bitter buddy. Factual. 

I take out travel insurance too. I am covered 100% on a motorcycle of any size in Thailand as I am fully licensed in Australia. If I have an accident in Thailand and I’m riding illegally (drunk or no helmet of speeding etc) insurance will not pay. 

Need a ladder to dismount that high horse?

I see 2 problems with this story. first of all ONLY immigrations is the only ones that can legally take your passport. The second thing the company that rented them the bike with bad brakes should be responsible for the medical plus other damages they caused. Plus if they did not have a Thai or international drivers license the person renting them the bike should also be fined.

7 minutes ago, Crustyhk said:

Freeloader 

:someone who takes advantage of another’s generosity:

Not bitter buddy. Factual. 

I take out travel insurance too. I am covered 100% on a motorcycle of any size in Thailand as I am fully licensed in Australia. If I have an accident in Thailand and I’m riding illegally (drunk or no helmet of speeding etc) insurance will not pay. 

Need a ladder to dismount that high horse?

Sorry. But just more bitterness and inaccuracy on your part. 

Apart from the fact that you have deliberately truncated the definition that you found via the Internet.  It actually states; a person who takes advantage of others' generosity without giving anything in return. 

An example would be someone who came to stay with you, who ate your food, used your utilities and made no offer to contribute, whilst generally overstaying their welcome. 

That is a 'freeloader'.

Not someone to whom people have chosen to donate.

I redouble on my opinion that it is just bitter and jealous people making negative comment.

As to someone on a high horse, isn't it you would believes that you are superior to them? Therefore fitting exactly the definition of;

if you tell someone to, or suggest that someone should, get off their high horse, you are suggesting they stop behaving in a superior manner...

You are covered 100% to ride any size of motorcycle in Thailand. Well aren't you the man. ????

But it's not about you is it?

You don't even know anything about the policy they actually hold, nor if they were doing anything outseide the rules. You are just behaviong in a superior manner without actually knowing anything,

You should really get to understand the meaning of words and phrases before you attempt to utilise them.

16 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Totally out of the question. Sue the hospital instead. No hospital in the world have the right to take away a value paper issued from another government.

Since the passport isn't yours, you can't sue anybody if you surrender it.  Up to your government to sue.  Not going to happen.

But if you don't surrender it, or show funds to pay ... no treatment.   Hospital needs some collateral.

Nothing to See Here at A Geek With Guns

There will always be some people with negative thoughts on how people use the Go Fund me

but its the peoples choice to send their money to help out

will no doubt be reading more people asking for it in the future what ever their  circumstances 

Looking at the picture of the young lady it seems she is staying in a private room by one of the rip off private hospitals on Koh Samui it would be interesting to know how much of the bill was for the 50 minute speed boat journey and  pickup from the pier to get them to the hospital  ( they call them ambulance but they are converted pick ups ) I would imagine the transport bill to be in the region of 100,000 baht when the ferry boat from Tao to Samui only costs a 1,000 baht EW

2 hours ago, JamJar said:

Sorry. But just more bitterness and inaccuracy on your part. 

Apart from the fact that you have deliberately truncated the definition that you found via the Internet.  It actually states; a person who takes advantage of others' generosity without giving anything in return. 

An example would be someone who came to stay with you, who ate your food, used your utilities and made no offer to contribute, whilst generally overstaying their welcome. 

That is a 'freeloader'.

Not someone to whom people have chosen to donate.

I redouble on my opinion that it is just bitter and jealous people making negative comment.

As to someone on a high horse, isn't it you would believes that you are superior to them? Therefore fitting exactly the definition of;

You are covered 100% to ride any size of motorcycle in Thailand. Well aren't you the man. ????

But it's not about you is it?

You don't even know anything about the policy they actually hold, nor if they were doing anything outseide the rules. You are just behaviong in a superior manner without actually knowing anything,

You should really get to understand the meaning of words and phrases before you attempt to utilise them.

Wow. 

Nope I got nothing from the internet. I thought the definition of a freeloader was common knowledge. 

You don’t believe racking up a medical bill in another country and having your insurance company pay half and then expecting the generosity of people on a gofundme page to pay the other half is freeloading? That’s a difference of opinion not worth pursuing further. The donations were asked for. They went online and publicly asked for the money. Borderline begging really. 

I think your example of people coming to stay and not contribute toward their stay is 100% spot on with these freeloaders. Their “mistake” has cost set <deleted> financially as I mentioned in the original post. 

If you read my original post it started with “my guess is”. It didn’t state that I knew anything of their specific policy but my first hand experience of travel insurance policies I’ve taken out in the past. So yes, it was about my experience. I would have thought that was blindingly obvious.

If these freeloaders were doing everything by the book the insurance company would have paid the full claim.

7 minutes ago, shackleton said:

There will always be some people with negative thoughts on how people use the Go Fund me

but its the peoples choice to send their money to help out

will no doubt be reading more people asking for it in the future what ever their  circumstances 

Absolutely right. How people use the Go Fund Me is none of our business; that's the responsibility of Go Fund Me admin.

Our business is whether we choose to give or not.

The young couple are home now. All the best to them.

19 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

You need them within 100 meters most of the time

Probably too inexperienced to understand the laws of physics in relationship with small motorbikes. It's a different thing if you test the brakes of a small bike on a flat surface or on a steep decline with two hefty Europeans on top....

I don't think this would have happened to an experienced rider.

19 hours ago, JaiLai said:

I'd say a very low percentage of people actually check vehicles they rent when they come here on holiday.

But if the brakes were really faulty, the person riding the bike would surely know as soon as

they started riding it, then could have taken it back.

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Seems to be a big bill for what appears to be minor injuries. 

I'd like to see what cost them 300k+

My misses just arraigned for an old Dutch guy to be fixed up after falling off his m/c.

30k for the hospital (broken hip) paid by insurance, 25k for a month in a care home while he's plastered paid by him.

Surely they should not allow alcohol in the care home.

2 hours ago, harriott456 said:
15 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Koh Tao, there it is again. Why people keep going there is beyond me.

yeah, shock horror...someone crashed a scooter...wow...close the place...what a moronic comment.

Hey Romper, FYI we quit going, lots of us did - back in the years 05-07 That is when the motorcycle scam got out of control. This is the same as the jet ski scam. You rent it, return, damage is found, cost is 25 to 100K baht. When you say no way then you have 5 guys with metal pipes from the shop ... 

However it should be stated that this was before the PADI classes started killing or maiming a couple a year, running over them with a boat and prop. ugly - real ugly

That said, both of those events occured Before ... other events .....  that put Koh Tao in the news ... I forgot what those events were, but maybe you can do an internet search and suss it out.....  :thumbsup: 

Archived