Go Fund Me appeal saves British couple trapped in hospital on Koh Samui

webfact

"Despite having insurance, the couple’s insurance company would only cover some of the cost, leaving the couple needing to find £6,675 to pay the remainder of the bill."

Wait a sec.... "quality" farang tourists can't pull out 7k to pay their hospital bill? I thought that could only happen to the Indians, Chinese, Russians etc.....

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Needed £6675 for the hospital. I wonder how much they just spent on their wedding? 

Most travel insurance policies state only 50% pay-out if motorcycle is involved.

Why is she still Ms Harrison? Just wondering. 

That's one h*ll of a bill!!! 12,000 pounds for what appeared non life threatening conditions

No wonder their insurance would not cover it all.

The GOOD NEWS however is that they had insurance to cover some of the cost or they would probably still be here.

Koh Samui is a lovely place, but not to be viewed from a hospital bed!!

Go fund me is bu.s.it. My daughter, granddaughter and daughter's beau spent 30 days out of USA via Japan, Bangkok, Pattaya didn't need it but had plenty of insurance. Why so many Brits got their hands out all the time for bar bills (oops Hosp bills), etc. Yanks just hang in until they die.

21 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

so i am renting a scooter in Thailand and I see it only has one mirror. I say to the lady I need two mirrors. She says OK use this scooter.

So i change scooters and I start to adjust the mirrors so I can see behind me and she says "Why Farang always worry what is behind? Just worry what is in front." 

So your a butt man and not a boob man?????

20 hours ago, steven100 said:

help me please  !   i'm in urgent need of a holiday and would like to set up Go fund me. I think 300,000 baht should cover it . 

You have to be from the right country.

I am seeing a trend developing with this Go Fund Me stuff.......got it??

20 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Could that be seen as tantamount to extorting money with menaces?

I was under the impression that the passport is the property of the issuing country, and it was illegal to withhold someone's passport without a court order?

Maybe I am wrong

it is indeed 100% UNLAWFUL for any hospital in this country to withhold a patient's passport, no matter the circumstances

3 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

What is your point?

Christ, we've got moaners and wingers for people WITH insurance, let alone WITHOUT.

What the f##k has any wedding got to do with anything?

Best you guys go check on your glasses.

Prolly less than half empty.

Maybe our point is that lots of tourists behave like idiots.

They do lots of things they wouldn't do at home and then they are surprised that they are consequences, often expensive consequences.

And especially the British tabloids love to write about all those bad things happening in Thailand.

Maybe some of us are fed up with those tourists and those stories...

20 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

so i am renting a scooter in Thailand and I see it only has one mirror. I say to the lady I need two mirrors. She says OK use this scooter.

So i change scooters and I start to adjust the mirrors so I can see behind me and she says "Why Farang always worry what is behind? Just worry what is in front." 

Even less check the rental agreement or their holiday insurance policy before leaving home!!

1 hour ago, crazykopite said:

Koh Tao roads are terrible most are not concrete and those that are have a lot of sand for the sake of another £5 you can hire a small jeep. 

pretty much all of the roads are now 2 lanes with painted lines and cats eyes like anywhere else in Thailand!, this has be on going for the last 3/4 years, in fact, there are very few places that haven't been re-done.

also you cannot hire a jeep full stop, let alone for an extra £5....have you ever been there or just guessing.

20 minutes ago, Captain 776 said:

You have to be from the right country.

I am seeing a trend developing with this Go Fund Me stuff.......got it??

hmmm …  well i'm obviously not from the right country because I've checked my bank account again this morning and I haven't received one far king satang from anyone. I really needed this holiday and now it's not looking so good. What do I have to do ?  take a picture showing me wrapped in bandages at the cruise ship terminal ??   geeezzz  !

Seems to be the latest trend, used to be full moon parties or visiting drug dealers in a Thai prison. Now it's come here without travel insurance, that's if you can find one to cover stupid activities,  get on a bike on the most dangerous roads in the world, inevitable accident then online for the go rescue me appeal. Not sure who the bigger fools are the tourists or those donating.

You know, in the scale of things and money earned  by the ThaI economy from tourism, 300 million baht is a drop in the ocean, even at today's lousy rates, a mere 7-8 million GBP.

Medical tourists and non residents or not ordinary residents, that use the NHS in UK and don't pay back the funds, total around 1.8 billion a year.

Quote on Google;-

The government estimates that normal use of the NHS, by people who aren't “ordinarily resident”, but who don't come to the UK specifically to use the NHS, is around £1.8 billion a year. ... It is this group the Mirror refers to when it says that health tourism costs 0.3% of NHS spending.Dec 21, 2016.

This makes Thailand's whinging pale in comparison. When you get nearly 40 million tourists or people coming through Thai airports a year, it really isn't that much that it costs the Thai economy at all, in the scale of things and they are even determined to 'claw that back '

"The hospital had told the couple they would only release their passports once the bill had been paid in full."

Illegally obtained their passports deception.  Then illegally holding the passports as ransom.  This is a serious breach of international law.  This happened to me a couple of years ago.  I paid in full just to get my passport back.  Told the hospital what they had done and the response? - "Tough - this is Thailand"  I later reported the matter to my embassy who followed it up in international courts and the company that owned the hospital was charged and fined.

The Thai government is aware of this practice but ignores it - also claiming that tourists incur a huge financial burden on them due to unpaid hospital bills.  I've yet to see one example, they just let the illegal hospital ransom go on - -

4 hours ago, Xonax said:

Expensive Private hospitals that overcharge foreigners!  Exactly how much is this country raking in, by overcharging foreigners in hospitals????

I don't blame the government, but I do blame the mangy criminals driving the ambulances conspiring with the crooked private hospitals to exploit unwary and injured foreigners who don't know any better.

5 hours ago, overherebc said:

I'm interested in knowing the insurance company name.

25,000 a month to stay plastered sounds good. Does it include transport to and from the bars.

????????

Sorry.

????????

LaLissa care home in Chiang Mai, 25k/month covers everything except hospital bills (but includes transport to and from hospital).

One In Hang Dong for patients that aren't mobile.

One in MaeJo for patients with some mobility. Nice swimming pool and gardens.

22 hours ago, steven100 said:

help me please  !   i'm in urgent need of a holiday and would like to set up Go fund me. I think 300,000 baht should cover it . 

Too late! From last month:

This gorgeous couple, Onc and Engelhardt, are a German Instagram pair using GoFundMe to fund a holiday to the African continent. The pair's entitled demands have raised the hackles of many netizens, with critics telling the pair to "get a job" and pay for the trip themselves.

image.png.99b7cfee97626797f6ce0c89ba3a9ada.pngs.

22 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Most travel insurance policies state only 50% pay-out if motorcycle is involved.

Rubbish, they will pay out in full unless you’re not wearing a helmet or don’t have a license to ride a bike of that capacity, or if your under the influence of drugs at the time of the accident. Read the PDS of any insurance policy.

Oh, still Ms Harrison because it’s 2019.

16 minutes ago, cat handler said:

Rubbish, they will pay out in full unless you’re not wearing a helmet or don’t have a license to ride a bike of that capacity, or if your under the influence of drugs at the time of the accident. Read the PDS of any insurance policy.

Oh, still Ms Harrison because it’s 2019.

ANY insurance policy?

Sorry but I do not have any comprehension for foreigners going on a vacation without a travel insurance. Everyone can have an accident not important what country they are going to. It's just reckless to do so and having others to pay for their negligence.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I don't blame the government, but I do blame the mangy criminals driving the ambulances conspiring with the crooked private hospitals to exploit unwary and injured foreigners who don't know any better.

They may, or may not be able to choose in which hospital they are getting treated. A friend of mine did an insurance claim a few months ago in Samui and got instructed by the insurer to go to the Bangkok Hospital. 

The private hospitals in Samui are expensive not only for the foreigners but also for the Thais - a Thai national was quoted a few days ago to pay around 18k Baht per day by Bandon Hospital...Bangkok Hospital would be even more.

2 hours ago, Mangkhut said:

Even though this couple had insurance the insurance company wouldnt cover more than a bit of the expences. So whats the use of having insurance if they wont cover you then???

One of the most essential jobs in an insurance company is 'loss adjuster.'

Make of that what you will.

It seems one more time brakes are blamed but this time by farang. 

where our brakes failed” 

there is always something to be blamed. Sometimes bad brakes, another time a bad product by a bad “dealer” or bad beer !!!!

But there is always “go fund me”. 

22 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Totally out of the question. Sue the hospital instead. No hospital in the world have the right to take away a value paper issued from another government.

Taking away the passport is a sure way of making sure you stay put until bills were paid. Either that or putting you in a room with armed guards. With you paying for the armed guard services too. 

How did the private hospital in the first world treat similar situation ? 

Archived