Tempeh

NewGuy

2 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Thought I saw it in the freezer at Big C or Tesco?  Would imagine it is around somewhere but can't swear to it.  I'll make a mental note to look around for it next week.

found an old thread on TV

From an old post  "

I order my tempeh at http://www.orgathai.com/, they just send it to your place by EMS :P

Most likely what you saw was just firm tofu. 

Thanks guys. That link from years ago takes you to their now inactive site. With the Lazada link the first comment was that it arrived inedible - too old. It is 285B for 1 kg.

i won’t try to make it, can’t even make acceptable yoghurt.

So, now to give the Pattaya supermarkets another look.

Thanks guys. That link from years ago takes you to their now inactive site. With the Lazada link the first comment was that it arrived inedible - too old. It is 285B for 1 kg.

Let us know but if you find it I will be shocked. Your best bet is the 5 Star J restaurant. Maybe if you beg they can hook you up.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 minutes ago, ColinChapman said:

https://radiancewholefoods.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=515&search=Tempeh

These guys deliver in Bangkok, always reliable, maybe you could arrange delivery to Pattaya. 

I'm pretty sure but not certain that the 5 Star J restaurant people have an out of Pattaya source. Maybe that's it. 

Jingthing said a local restaurant has it in some dishes, why don't you go there and ask them where they get it from

Sent from my SM-C710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

21 minutes ago, pomozki said:

Jingthing said a local restaurant has it in some dishes, why don't you go there and ask them where they get it from

Sent from my SM-C710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes, good idea. However, as they seem to have a monopoly on Pattaya tempeh, it might not be in their interest to be very helpful. 

Hi Pomozki,

I certainly will go, just up the street, haven't been there in 13 years, mainly because I found the food bland - I really wondered if they used garlic and onions (my one 12 day experience at a wat near Surit Thani found me eating a lot at breakfast and lunch, but without those two ingredients - I think).  The Pattaya Tai place was very friendly, had lots of dried/canned foods to take home and, important to me, on request didn't use sugar (otherwise pretty sweet). I did like their tvp efforts (they had shrimp, duck, whatever shaped ones too).  It got me into tvp spag bol for a while. I think the awkward table placement has been fixed after a renovation.

Even my visiting vegetarian/sometimes vegan daughter just kinda liked it but didn't want to go back.

Cheers

9 minutes ago, NewGuy said:

Hi Pomozki,

I certainly will go, just up the street, haven't been there in 13 years, mainly because I found the food bland - I really wondered if they used garlic and onions (my one 12 day experience at a wat near Surit Thani found me eating a lot at breakfast and lunch, but without those two ingredients - I think).  The Pattaya Tai place was very friendly, had lots of dried/canned foods to take home and, important to me, on request didn't use sugar (otherwise pretty sweet). I did like their tvp efforts (they had shrimp, duck, whatever shaped ones too).  It got me into tvp spag bol for a while. I think the awkward table placement has been fixed after a renovation.

Even my visiting vegetarian/sometimes vegan daughter just kinda liked it but didn't want to go back.

Cheers

That place has changed a lot compared to 13 years ago! New owners, chefs. etc. They definitely have spicy dishes on offer and you can tell them your preference. Of course some people like bland. 

If you're going to eat there you may want to try their Indonesian style tempeh strips served with a spicy (optional) peanut sauce.

We went there last night and had the three bean tempeh strips with two (sweet) sauces, Som tam kapi (a little hard to get spicy - tell the server 1 for mild, 5 for hot), was good/okay but nothing can beat the street stuff, tom yam noodles, tasty, not a drop left and spicy just right, red rice was fantastic, never had so good plus free moderate glycemic index. My wife had bua loi nam king and demolished her portion as usual. Free multi-filtered water. 605 Baht, including the oft forgotten 7% tax.

Service staff is more than competent, friendly and well trained. The Austrian husband of owner Thonglor is outgoing, and enthusiastic about healthy and tasty food. He uses Tempeh Valley as supplier (look it up on Facebook) and says they deliver.

The menu is broken into Thai, Indian, Mexican, maybe other sections with items grouped by type or ingredients.

We’ll go back and try other dishes.

On 7/20/2019 at 5:35 PM, Jingthing said:

If you're going to eat there you may want to try their Indonesian style tempeh strips served with a spicy (optional) peanut sauce.

don't believe I've seen tempeh prepared any other way but that...I find regular tofu more versatile, gonna try this recipe soon when I can get the ingredients down the market...

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/jul/20/meera-sodhas-aubergine-green-bean-thai-holy-basil-stir-fry-recipe

don't believe I've seen tempeh prepared any other way but that...I find regular tofu more versatile, gonna try this recipe soon when I can get the ingredients down the market...

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/jul/20/meera-sodhas-aubergine-green-bean-thai-holy-basil-stir-fry-recipe

It's very versatile. You can use it with a lot of flavors just like tofu. I once prepared it with Cuban mojo sauce. Excellent.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Does people actually eat this?

sure they do...the deep fried strips with peanut sauce that JT described are a popular street food in Jakarta and Jakarta's got over 10m people...buckets of peanut sauce everywhere with gado gado (the indonesian equivalent of som tam and much tastier but I'm not fond of either), satay and etc...

Archived