What you mean by a marriage visa to live in England?

Do you mean that your girlfriend wants to apply for a fiancé visa, marry you in the UK and then apply to settle,

Or do you mean that you both wish to marry in Thailand and then she wants to apply to settle in the UK?

Your girlfriend needs to make the application though you would need to meet the financial requirements either when she applies for settlement from Thailand, or following your marriage in the UK.

You need to tell us more about yourselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

She will need a settlement visa and it's not that hard to do. Then Further leave to remain (FLR), 33 months later, then Indefinite leave to remain (ILR) after your wife has lived in the UK for five years. Look at a bill of £8000+ over the five years. Currently over £7000 but the visas go up around 20% each year.

Requirements for a settlement visa are that you earn £18,600 or more. Your wife will need a TB test in Bangkok (3300 baht the last time I looked) and an English language test. (£150). The visa is £1533 and the NHS surcharge is £1200. She can work as soon as she arrives in the UK.

Any questions, ask away.

54 minutes ago, rasg said:

She will need a settlement visa and it's not that hard to do. Then Further leave to remain (FLR), 33 months later, then Indefinite leave to remain (ILR) after your wife has lived in the UK for five years. Look at a bill of £8000+ over the five years. Currently over £7000 but the visas go up around 20% each year.

Requirements for a settlement visa are that you earn £18,600 or more. Your wife will need a TB test in Bangkok (3300 baht the last time I looked) and an English language test. (£150). The visa is £1533 and the NHS surcharge is £1200. She can work as soon as she arrives in the UK.

Any questions, ask away.

You would be better off referring the OP to the pinned thread for settlement than to give wrong information.  When you tell someone that "Requirements for a settlement visa are that you earn £18,600 or more" then you either give them hope or despair. By relying on your guidance they might either make an application or abandon an application. If their application is refused are you going to accept responsibility for telling them it should have been okay ?  The requirement is for an income of 18,600 GBP a year, and that requirement can be met in a number of ways, some of which don't include "earning". The OP doesn't necessarily have to earn (which implies working) 18,600 GBP a year, and even if he does earn 18,600 GBP a year then he might still not qualify if the income earned does not meet the evidential requirements. 

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 10:41 AM, thatland 2018 paul said:

Hi can any give me advice on how to get a marriage visa for my girlfriend to live in England thanks

The whole process takes at least five years.

Her initial leave will be valid for 33 months; although the actual vignette in her passport will only be valid for 30 days, during which she first enters the UK and then collects her Biometric Residence Permit.

If for some reason she is not able to enter the UK within the life of her visa, she can apply to extend it; for a fee.

After living in the UK for 30 months she applies for Further Leave to Remain, which is valid for a further 30 months.

For the initial and FLR applications, in addition to the replies above and the pinned topic, see the relevant to you parts of the UKVI guidance Family visas: apply, extend or switch.

Note that applicants in Thailand, and other countries, need to provide a TB certificate with their initial application.

At the end of her FLR, that is after living in the UK for at least 5 years, if she meets all the requirements she applies for settlement, otherwise known as Indefinite Leave to Remain. If for some reason she doesn't meet the requirements she will need to apply for another FLR instead and keep doing so until she meets the ILR requirements. Once she does, she can apply for ILR without waiting for her current FLR to expire.

Note that for the initial visa and FLR applications she will, in addition to the application fee, have to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge.

She will also have to satisfy the knowledge of English speaking and listening; A1 or better of the CEFR for the initial visa, A2 or better for FLR and B2 or better for ILR. See Knowledge of English for the initial visa and FLR and Prove your knowledge of English for citizenship and settling for ILR.

However, she can also prove her knowledge of English if she has both

• a degree or academic qualification that was taught or researched in English
  • her qualification is recognised by UK NARIC as being equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree or higher

If she is meeting the language requirement by this means, then she'll need to provide a certificate from UK NARIC confirming this with her application.

In addition to the above, for her ILR application she will need to have passed the Life in the UK test.

For all applications she will need to show that you both will be adequately accommodated without recourse to public funds. Note, though, that if you currently live in a council or housing association property then her moving in with you is fine. Shared accommodation, e.g. with family, is fine, as long as there is at least one room for your exclusive use.

She will also need to show at each stage that the financial requirement is met. Note that if using earned income, only yours can be used for the first application, but for FLR and ILR yours, hers or both combined can be used.

Once she has ILR she can apply for British citizenship if she wishes. As both the UK and Thailand allow dual nationality doing so will not affect her Thai citizenship in any way.

It's a long road, and costly. But, provided you can meet the financial requirement, then it is certainly achievable.

1 hour ago, globalThailand said:

Just had a mild panic there... Checking the gov website it's B1 for ILR.  My wife just took the B1 for her FLR so it can be used again on the ILF application. 

Yes, you are right of course. 

Many apologies for my stupid error. 

And I forgot to mention the LITUK test along with the other ways of fulfilling the financial requirements. I have quite a bit of this stuff on stickies so I can copy and paste it but this time couldn't find them and typed it up.

• 1 month later...

Archived