WP on a Non-O / 1 Year

I will be starting a new job in mid August and decided to get my WP based on a Non-Imm Type O. I will get the visa from Laos.

When I come back into Thailand I will have a 90 day stay permitted (single) or multiple x90 days (multiple).

However I need to apply for the WP immediately when I come back in.  Is that possible on that 90day stay?  

If I have to get a 1 year extension before applying for WP, then that would mean I have to wait 60 days until I can apply for that extension,  Which will not work for me.

Can someone clarify (@ubonjoe ?)

11 minutes ago, drbrit said:

However I need to apply for the WP immediately when I come back in.  Is that possible on that 90day stay?  

Yes.

11 minutes ago, drbrit said:

If I have to get a 1 year extension before applying for WP, then that would mean I have to wait 60 days until I can apply for that extension,  Which will not work for me.

You don’t. You can apply for the WP anytime.

I've never done it on a single entry, only on a multi O.

However I don't see a problem in getting your WP and then applying for an extension using income 40,000+/month from your job. I am assuming the extension would then be tied to your job and would end when you finish work.

14 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I am assuming the extension would then be tied to your job and would end when you finish work.

Not if the extension is based upon marriage. It is not tied to the job.

34 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I have a feeling that decision may depend on the OP's local Imm' office.

No it would not.

A extension of stay can only be canceled if the reason for it being issued is lost. If the reason for it is marriage it can only be canceled if he gets divorced.

15 minutes ago, drbrit said:

But you see no issue in applying for the WP on my single (or multiple) entry type O then Joe?

Sent from my ASUS_X017DA using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The labour office will only check that you have a Non Imm' visa.

When it was issued doesn't matter. You can apply for your WP the first week of it if you want.

I've had several WP's on Non O's

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

No it would not.

A extension of stay can only be canceled if the reason for it being issued is lost. If the reason for it is marriage it can only be canceled if he gets divorced.

Friend of mine applied for an extension based on marraige so he could start work. He was refused because he had just over 800,000 in the bank and they issued a retirement extension. He ended up having to leave for a B and get his WP on that. His local Imm' office told him he couldn't work on an O and we both know an O is OK.

9 minutes ago, overherebc said:

He was refused because he had just over 800,000 in the bank and they issued a retirement extension.

That was his mistake. Never show enough money for a extension of stay based on retirement  if you are 50 or over and want a extension based upon marriage.

He could of went out and got a non-o visa and not even mentioned the work permit to immigration unless he wanted to use the income from working to get the extension.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That was his mistake. Never show enough money for a extension of stay based on retirement  if you are 50 or over and want a extension based upon marriage.

He could of went out and got a non-o visa and not even mentioned the work permit to immigration unless he wanted to use the income from working to get the extension.

That's why I stuck with multi O for years. OK it means in out every 90 days but it means no dealing with the local Imm' office.

1 minute ago, drbrit said:

Guys what are the requirements for getting the extension based on marriage or child support. And the typical duration if in Chaeng Wattana?

You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months on the date you apply for the extension or proof of 40k baht income. The extension of stay is for one year.

It will take less than a day to do the application and the after it is accepted you will get under consideration stamp with a report back date 30 days from that day. Then you return to get the one year extension stamp after it is approved.

Here is my list of general requirements. Marriage Extension Requirements 2.pdf

• Like 1

On 7/19/2019 at 7:31 PM, overherebc said:

That's why I stuck with multi O for years. OK it means in out every 90 days but it means no dealing with the local Imm' office.

@ubonjoe  @overherebc  I notice that Vientiane regulations say that for Multiple Entry it says "Only for Resident Applicants" in their conditions.    

So this would mean:

* In Vientiane I cannot apply for multiple - do you know if this is true?

* If single entry, when I apply for the extension in CW, I am stuck in Thailand for 30 days whilst they process it, right? (this maybe very inconvenient for my new job).

6 minutes ago, drbrit said:

So this would mean:

* In Vientiane I cannot apply for multiple - do you know if this is true?

* If single entry, when I apply for the extension in CW, I am stuck in Thailand for 30 days whilst they process it, right? (this maybe very inconvenient for my new job).

Vientiane has not issued multiple entry visas of any kind for several years unless you are Laotian or a legal resident there.

You can apply for a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage at the consulate in Savannakhet with no financial proof.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Vientiane has not issued multiple entry visas of any kind for several years unless you are Laotian or a legal resident there.

You can apply for a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage at the consulate in Savannakhet with no financial proof.

OK noted.    And at Savannakhet there is no appointment system these days right?

2 minutes ago, drbrit said:

And at Savannakhet there is no appointment system these days right?

No appointment needed.

Avoid going on Monday or Thursdays since those are the days the visa run vans are there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, INV said:

So I maybe will setup company, I have extension retirement a Visa O. So do I NOT need to leave and get

a Visa B? Can use the Visa O I have to get work permit?

You cannot work on  retirement extension.

2 hours ago, INV said:

So I maybe will setup company, I have extension retirement a Visa O. So do I NOT need to leave and get

a Visa B? Can use the Visa O I have to get work permit?

You can only work with a Non O if you are the spouse or parent of a Thai. 

If you’re not you’d need to leave and get a Non B.