Did you know you can now buy a Mercedes pickup in Thailand

The local Robinsons had a new Mercedes pickup X350d imported from Britain. 4million baht and 2 month wait. 

I didnt have my phone on me for photos but it looked impressive. Not ugly pointy like a Toyota or too chunky like a Ford. It is in a class of its own with V6 engine and comfortable seats. Forget the hard ass seats and interior full of plastic. 

cheers

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Just one more brand that Thai drivers can kill themselves ( and thousands of others) in. 

Just one more brand that drivers of any nationality can kill themselves ( and thousands of others) in.   Thais aren't the only people to have accidents.

16 minutes ago, davidst01 said:

The local Robinsons had a new Mercedes pickup X350d imported from Britain. 4million baht and 2 month wait. 

I didnt have my phone on me for photos but it looked impressive. Not ugly pointy like a Toyota or too chunky like a Ford. It is in a class of its own with V6 engine and comfortable seats. Forget the hard ass seats and interior full of plastic. 

"Not ugly pointy like a Toyota or too chunky like a Ford".

It's ugliness is more like the Nissan Navarro's ugliness.

6 minutes ago, jackdd said:

If you Google it you find news from a few days ago that Mercedes will probably stop production of the X-class, so good luck getting spare parts in a few years if somebody should decide to buy it.

Even if that is true, and it has not been confirmed, Mercedes is well known for continuing to produce parts for models that have been out of production for many decades.

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

Even if that is true, and it has not been confirmed, Mercedes is well known for continuing to produce parts for models that have been out of production for many decades.

God knows why you find that so amusing, Kwasaki, when it's true.

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

Just one more brand that drivers of any nationality can kill themselves ( and thousands of others) in.   Thais aren't the only people to have accidents.

Just more of them.  Fifth most dangerous place to drive in the World according to a google search and the other 4 are in Africa.  

The Merc X uses a Nissan platform and is assembled at Nissan on the same belt as their own rides. But, there it seems to end as the Merc uses it's own goodies to complete the ride. The base model does use a Nissan engine though, whether it is totally Nissan I don't know, but the V6 is a Merc engine, a great power plant that will trounce most pickups out there...

The X350D is interesting. The entire drivetrain is Mercedes with that nice AWD and it is quite quick. That said, I just plain dislike solid rear axles. No matter how you guild it, the ride and handling will always be sub par.

On 7/19/2019 at 10:58 AM, Just Weird said:

Its that Thais just have a higher percentage kill rate proving that the lower the IQ the higher the accident rates. But this thread is not about how badly Thais drive it is about the M-B pick-up truck seen in Thailand.  It is a grey import as it is not officially on sale in Thailand.  At 4 million baht I think I would be looking at many other vehicles rather than an agricultural truck. Then of course you have the issue that M-B franchised dealers do not undertake M-B approved servicing on grey imported vehicles since 2012

8 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:
On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 5:58 PM, Just Weird said:

Its that Thais just have a higher percentage kill rate proving that the lower the IQ the higher the accident rates. But this thread is not about how badly Thais drive it is about the M-B pick-up truck seen in Thailand.  

"Its that Thais just have a higher percentage kill rate proving that the lower the IQ the higher the accident rates."

That's not proved at all!  Where are the IQ records that you seem to know about of those killed on the road here? 

"But this thread is not about how badly Thais drive..."

I didn't say it was, neither did I initiate that subject.

53 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

"Its that Thais just have a higher percentage kill rate proving that the lower the IQ the higher the accident rates."

That's not proved at all!  Where are the IQ records that you seem to know about of those killed on the road here? 

"But this thread is not about how badly Thais drive..."

I didn't say it was, neither did I initiate that subject.

I think it is common knowledge that LOS has an abysmal road death rate. We all know LOS can do no wrong in your eyes but perhaps you really are going a bit over the top..

17 minutes ago, transam said:

I think it is common knowledge that LOS has an abysmal road death rate. We all know LOS can do no wrong in your eyes but perhaps you really are going a bit over the top..

I'm not disputing the death statistics (can't anyone on this forum read?), I was asking about the IQ/death correlation remark.

Just now, Henryford said:

Who on God's earth would pay over 100,000 GBP for a pick up truck?

Well there are folk out there paying millions of $ on super cars that will never see super speeds, only coffee shops....????

On 7/19/2019 at 7:24 PM, faraday said:

This is it!!!

IMG_20190719_192349.png

There was a company in Northern England that would take the innards out of MGB's and put them in Marina pickup bodies. Once upon a time I was going to get one and put a US style camper on the back. 

22 hours ago, transam said:

The one to have, the V6 top of the range is 48,500 quid, the basic one with the Nissan engine is 38,000+ quid...

https://www.autoebid.com/new-vans/Mercedes-Benz/X-Class/3.0CDi-V6-258-uk-deals

The list price in Australia is $85k (1.7M baht) and even with healthy discounts, Benz are struggling to sell them.  Don't like their chances in Thailand.

25 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

MG is the company to keep an eye on. Their all electric SUV should be available this month and their pickup next month....

No need to keep an eye on. They are so ugly one cannot miss seeing them when on the expressway.

Archived