Thai exports seen falling 5% year-on-year in June: Reuters poll

snoop1130

Demand for the Thai baht comes not only from tourists who obviously need it...but from foreign businesses, especially the Chinese who need billions of baht to buy further business footholds in Thailand. Once the steam comes out, the BoT will begin to sell off their huge foreign currency reserves...its a win - win for the wealthy Thais.

The commerce ministry targets export growth of 3% this year, while the central bank has predicted zero increase amid rising global trade tensions.

The govt always sets  positive "targets, goals" each year....just like businesses.  But targets/goals are just numbers to strive or hope for; has little relation to what the real world numbers turn out to be.

On 7/19/2019 at 8:07 PM, bwpage3 said:

Exports down 5%, tourism down, yet the baht remains strong as ever.

What a farce!

These facts are contradicting.

Me too, I wondered why? One of the reasons will be the Western countries and China are troubled by trade war/deals. The big money in these countries is losing because the exchange rates are going down.. Therefore they are seeking safer havens. Thailand seems to be one of them.

This would explain the contradiction.

On 7/23/2019 at 1:10 AM, puck2 said:

These facts are contradicting.

Me too, I wondered why? One of the reasons will be the Western countries and China are troubled by trade war/deals. The big money in these countries is losing because the exchange rates are going down.. Therefore they are seeking safer havens. Thailand seems to be one of them.

This would explain the contradiction.

No that doesn't explain it. No one is making any new investment in Thailand despite Thailand trying to partner with China and Japan on high speed rail and other mega-projects. I suspect when the gov't states trade is down 5% it is probably much worse than that.

1 hour ago, bwpage3 said:

No that doesn't explain it. No one is making any new investment in Thailand despite Thailand trying to partner with China and Japan on high speed rail and other mega-projects. I suspect when the gov't states trade is down 5% it is probably much worse than that.

I know a Chinese guy that's currently buying a Thai house/land/business in CM for 80,000,000bht.

Does that count as a new investment?

Archived