Worker succumbs to injuries after slaughter house roof collapse

snoop1130

Worker succumbs to injuries after slaughter house roof collapse

By Natthawat Laping
The Nation

800_e22181f4801a965.jpg

One of the workers hospitalised with serious injuries when the roof of an under-construction pig slaughter house in Chiang Rai province fell on five workers died on Friday.

The 19-year-old Wannot Phetchpho was pronounced dead at the district hospital because of multiple trauma to his ribs and lung, a source at the hospital said.

Four of the workers had sustained serious injuries in the accident in Tambon Wian Ka Long, Wian Pa Pao district on Thursday.

Three workers, Siam Klinchod, 23, whose kneecap was damaged, Wanchana Sammon, 36, whose right arm was broken, and Rewat Jaiyen, 33, who broke his leg, were transferred to Chiangrai Prachanukroh Hospital. Another worker, Charoenchai Mainomklang, 22, who had minor injuries, was sent home.

Police are investigating the cause of the collapse of the metal roof.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30373275

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand  2019-07-19

15 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

I hope the victims get compensation and recover from their injuries. Perhaps mthe engineers and designers of this abattoir can be sued.

I trust the engineers far more than the untrained, flip-flop wearing, welding-with-no-mask, no safety ropes, etc, etc, etc guys trying to put the building together.

4 minutes ago, mwbrown said:

I trust the engineers far more than the untrained, flip-flop wearing, welding-with-no-mask, no safety ropes, etc, etc, etc guys trying to put the building together.

Actually, upon reflection and reading your post, I am in total agreement with you. The structural design was probably in order and had been approved by the powers that be. But the next stage, actual construction, with shoddy workmanship ,where corners can be cut etc, probably led to its downfall.

The young man killed in this industrial accident was originally from Nakhon Sawan.  He WAS the breadwinner for his young family who have since left the area and returned to their familial homes.

Contrary to some of the posts here, this project was a hard hat area, safely shoes only.  My son knows one of the injured and says one of the reasons there were not more injuries, was that workers got about a 3 second warning - in the form of noise of steel shifting.  Most ran.  Some made it.

There were over 80 workers on the site at the time.

20 hours ago, Rotweiler said:

The young man killed in this industrial accident was originally from Nakhon Sawan.  He WAS the breadwinner for his young family who have since left the area and returned to their familial homes.

Contrary to some of the posts here, this project was a hard hat area, safely shoes only.  My son knows one of the injured and says one of the reasons there were not more injuries, was that workers got about a 3 second warning - in the form of noise of steel shifting.  Most ran.  Some made it.

There were over 80 workers on the site at the time.

Thanks Rotweiler nice to have some information  from some one who was there.  Sad about the young man but glad that there wen't more. I work industrial construction around the world. accidents can and do happen anywhere. 

On 7/19/2019 at 7:50 PM, ratcatcher said:

I hope the victims get compensation and recover from their injuries. Perhaps mthe engineers and designers of this abattoir can be sued.

A bit like getting rain in the north East... not much hope !

Archived