Thanathorn denies betraying Thailand through comments in Europe

snoop1130

Thanathorn denies betraying Thailand through comments in Europe

By The Nation

800_6eb5ca8a9b5119c.jpeg

Thanathorn

Future Forward Party leader Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit dismissed allegations that he was a traitor and criticised the country during a recent trip to Europe.

He also denied trying to escape legal action, saying he was ready to face all legal battles that have arisen since he joined politics. 

“I said last year that I knew I had to fight the dictatorship and I was quite certain I would face legal action,” he said at a press conference on Friday. He also said that his actions cannot be seen as a betrayal of the country. 

“For Future Forward Party, the country is its people, not its government. The foreign officials I met want Thai politics to be good again, like it was in the past,” he said. 

The tycoon-turned-politician said his trip to Europe had four major objectives: networking, explaining Thailand’s situation, learning about economies and observing urban development. 

During his trip to the four European countries, Thanathorn met senior officials and politicians from seven organisations that promote democracy and local media. 

He said that whoever he met all expressed concerns about Thailand’s situation. 

“I want to see Thailand return to democracy and start respecting international human rights. I want to see the country playing a leading role in Southeast Asia,” he said. 

He added that though the post-coup junta, the National Council for Peace and Order, has ceased to exist, its legacy is still alive in the current Constitution. 

“If the Constitution is not amended, I believe we will never see the country move towards democracy,” he added.

He also dismissed his critics’ allegations that he had arranged for an interview with the BBC, which was not broadcast through its official channel. 

“You cannot buy media outlets of that stature. They are proud of their reputation and carefully choose who they want to interview. It’s impossible to set it up,” he said.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30373276

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand  2019-07-19

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

So who's accusing him of being a traitor to Thailand?

I think it very suspicious that no one has been named who allegedly criticised him. Not in this article anyway.

I wonder if it might possibly have anything to do with the 'government'? They seem very scared of him and of criticism.

This is all part of a, very, old story, IMO, wherein the masters(!) of 'the system' holding Thailand, ...and Siam before, in its grip, accuse and villify ANYONE 'disagreeing' with its excesses, which should have been brought in front of the highest human rights instances countless times, but, always hitting the concrete wall erected by ultra-nationalists (part of, or sponsored by the same) accusing every opposing individual/group of being anti-Thai, anti-Royal Institution (I was carefull using big caps), anti-military, anti-old amart, anti-new chinese elite, ...anti any of what is making this country very corrupt and nepotistic, ...and using the LM for their profit when the heat goes up. Does Thailand need all of this? Did the Father of the country need any of this? Nobody is perfect, but I think I can remember His Majesty King Bhumibol had some different opinions... But the present situation is, very, different, at ALL 'levels'. And the Thais? Well, that's, erm, 'an interesting question', seems like, rotten, corrupt, abusive 'system' has not only totally swallowed, but also digested them... I sincerely hope to be wrong, but...

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

Future Forward Party leader Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit dismissed allegations that he was a traitor

losing battle for sure given that all the opposing folks are natonalist military generals, pity for ALL of us

Just now, worgeordie said:

Telling it like it really is......and you become a traitor.

Yes and there is a law to that affect, or a "code" - on the books, maybe buried in the book, but I bet they could dig it out and use it.  They certainly use it in the court of public opinion & culture. Hmmm 75 years old?! - give or take a few years.

Just now, LomSak27 said:

Yes and there is a law to that affect, or a "code" - on the books, maybe buried in the book, but I bet they could dig it out and use it.  They certainly use it in the court of public opinion & culture. Hmmm 75 years old?! - give or take a few years.

Yes (to the above). They will now concoct some new 'crime' to hang around Thanathorn's neck. They will not let up until they have got this rare and ethical young idealist in literal or metaphorical chains (they have already commenced that vicious process by excluding him from Parliament ....).

2 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

losing battle for sure given that all the opposing folks are natonalist military generals, pity for ALL of us

Being 'a traitor' to all the ones holding power in this country, has all the ingredients to make a hero out of him! (Telling at the same time how rabid, violent, stupid and pathetic all the ones holding power in this country are) 

42 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I think it very suspicious that no one has been named who allegedly criticised him. Not in this article anyway.

I wonder if it might possibly have anything to do with the 'government'? They seem very scared of him and of criticism.

Really any Tom ,Dick or Harry could have called him a traitor,which is a long way from criticising,then if the reporter puts the allegation to him and he dismisses it then it would make a sensational headline,I think they call that type of behaviour gutter journalism,if it was someone worthwhile that called him a traitor they would have quoted and named the accuser. 

7 minutes ago, Eligius said:

How pathetic! Calling this brave, idealistic, principled young man a 'traitor' - when the real traitors are those who stole the country from its people TWICE OVER!

Now, now, please Eligius, don't fall for other excesses! IMHO, this young wealthy individual might, possibly(!), not be as 'clean' as millions might be hoping. I'd personally 'reserve' my opinion about him and his movement, and, until now, the 'smell' coming out of what they do has in depth a, disturbing, hue of the stench that famous CM clan had on itself. Hoping, no joke, to be very wrong about this, but, cha-cha.

4 minutes ago, bangrak said:

Being 'a traitor' to all the ones holding power in this country, has all the ingredients to make a hero out of him! (Telling at the same time how rabid, violent, stupid and pathetic all the ones holding power in this country are) 

You are right, Bangrak. Actually, he is a hero: he has more courage in his little finger than the 'rulers' have in the entirety of their whole body - in this life and those to come!

Cowardice fears and hates courage - so it tries to shut it down, using every cowardly means at its disposal.

4 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

The people they worship were educated and live some of the time in Europe.

Ah, good you didn't write 'most of the time' as it might have been a dangerous statement, LOL!

4 minutes ago, Eligius said:

You are right, Bangrak. Actually, he is a hero: he has more courage in his little finger than the 'rulers' have in the entirety of their whole body - in this life and those to come!

Cowardice fears and hates courage - so it tries to shut it down, using every cowardly means at its disposal.

Wow-wow-hold your horses, please, he COULD have the stuff that makes a hero (hopefully a live one, as most heroes died becoming one...), but as per today I still have, very, serious doubts about the individual. It's as if you, and so many here and elsewhere are so much in need of a worthfull leading personality (//a hero), you would follow anyone playing a nice tune on a flute... What, IMHO, is even more perilous for (wo)men and country than the known danger of the despicable bunch presently holding power! 

At least this is a very different situation from the Shins going abroad for shopping and such (possibly with the generals closing eyes) and not coming back... Whatever the goals of this newbee(!!!) billionaire(!!!) in politics might be, and his possible 'relationship' with the previous, this brings me some 'humorous note': this guy seems to have left with no uniformed help, and be wanting to come back soon (but the generals deploying, unexpected, LOL, 'imagination' to make him stay away)... I hope he will not be caught between a rock and a hard place... The huge questionmark, ...especially for him, being: how many MILLIONS (I seriously mean that figure!) of Thais could he be able to bring on the street, as a solid mass(!), shouting: 'enough is enough, we won't take this anymore'?! IMHO, the present confrontation-in-the-make, by the military and powers-that-be, is strategically well timed (for them...): in one year or two, FFP could have brought more hard support outside than Suthep and consorts ever; now, today is much too early for that to happen...

9 minutes ago, londonthai said:

constitutional court accepts case against him for attempting to overthrow the constitutional monarchy.

https://www.newser.com/article/0b99a4a2066942b68af1239e390ded00/thai-court-accepts-complaints-against-pm-opposition-leaders.html

Prayut will be found innocent of all wrong-doing, and Thanathorn will be found guilty, I fear. If that happens, it is the end of Thanathorn's political career (on THAT charge and at this stage of things ....).

How would the Thais (in their millions) react then - if Thanathorn were banned from politics for life?

Probably the same as now: with anger - but without actually DOING anything!

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

"The foreign officials I met want Thai politics to be good again, like it was in the past,” he said.

When was Thai politics ever good?

It can't be good again, it was never good.

It was sometimes a little better and a little less corrupt and then again more corrupt and more violent. But it certainly was never good.

And Thanathorn with won't make it good as long as he is willing to work with the criminal fugitive.

1 hour ago, Eligius said:

'People have the rulers they deserve', a horrible formula, but, alas, so true... Might it sadly be the same for the ones they call their 'heroes'? This seems to be so, much to much, 'reactive', IMO. Thanathorn might, possibly, prove(!) to be some kind of a hero, in the looong run! But, IMO, your reaction, and that of many others here, seems to be one of dispair(!), confronted to the horrible military dictatorship and elites' domination. Still not enough to make this upcoming mushroom-after-the-rain a 'hero'. As, to me, it is 'vulgarising' the deep problem, the basic issue, this country is confronted with, ...while looking away from it. Let Thanathorn in the future show what he has inside himself, ...and much more importantly, the Thai citizens show what they have inside themselves! 

1 hour ago, Eligius said:

How pathetic! Calling this brave, idealistic, principled young man a 'traitor' - when the real traitors are those who stole the country from its people TWICE OVER!

The hallmark of dodgy nationalist governments who know deep down they are up to no good: 'If you are against us, you are against the country.' 

5 minutes ago, bangrak said:

'People have the rulers they deserve', a horrible formula, but, alas, so true... Might it sadly be the same for the ones they call their 'heroes'? This seems to be so, much to much, 'reactive', IMO. Thanathorn might, possibly, prove(!) to be some kind of a hero, in the looong run! But, IMO, your reaction, and that of many others here, seems to be one of dispair(!), confronted to the horrible military dictatorship and elites' domination. Still not enough to make this upcoming mushroom-after-the-rain a 'hero'. As, to me, it is 'vulgarising' the deep problem, the basic issue, this country is confronted with, ...while looking away from it. Let Thanathorn in the future show what he has inside himself, ...and much more importantly, the Thai citizens show what they have inside themselves! 

I hear you. Remember when Aung San Su Kyi was considered by the downtrodden as the country's saviour? I think a fair few are now reconsidering their optimism...

Thanathorn is certainly worth a punt, but don't bet the farm on him.

I am not surprised, its the way of the world now.

In Thailand some of its citizens call him a traitor for not being a Thai xenophobe. In the UK its the same with some of the righter wing mob wanting a xenophobic state. And in America xenophobia is now a platform for electing a president.

Its not just Thais, "we" are all at it.

7 minutes ago, baboon said:

I hear you. Remember when Aung San Su Kyi was considered by the downtrodden as the country's saviour? I think a fair few are now reconsidering their optimism...

Thanathorn is certainly worth a punt, but don't bet the farm on him.

It's interesting that you mention Aung San Su Kyi, as I was just reading about her today.

One of my English friends was with her at Oxford (as students).

Now, I cannot prove that this is true, but in fact it is: I was the only person I knew and know who years and years ago predicted that Aung San Su Kyi (when she was being hailed as the future saviour) would become a little dictator. I could see the marked authoritarian streak in her - in her personality - even at that early stage. 

Sadly, I was proven right.

I don't think Thanathorn is cut from the same cloth - but one cannot be sure ...

Archived