Thanathorn denies betraying Thailand through comments in Europe

snoop1130

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, baboon said:

The hallmark of dodgy nationalist governments who know deep down they are up to no good: 'If you are against us, you are against the country.' 

Wasn't something similar to that copyrighted by George Bush?

3 minutes ago, baboon said:

I hear you. Remember when Aung San Su Kyi was considered by the downtrodden as the country's saviour? I think a fair few are now reconsidering their optimism...

Thanathorn is certainly worth a punt, but don't bet the farm on him.

...And, IMHO, 'baboon' don't misjudge ASSK (following the muslim manipulated international instances and media?), she's confronted to huge problems originating from decennia of total military dictatorship and Buddhist extremism, and has little sails to face that storm and navigate between the cliffs. A VERY brave person, doing all she can, but she, herself hanging on a thin silk thread. What, of course, uninformed, ...and ill-meaning, malevolent growths are not prepared to POSITIVELY COLLABORATE with her. I think she didn't ever suppose she could be left so lonely in her constant efforts!

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

Wasn't something similar to that copyrighted by George Bush?

Sigh. Given the turn the world has taken, I now look back at the Bush years as a golden era...

3 minutes ago, bangrak said:

...And, IMHO, 'baboon' don't misjudge ASSK (following the muslim manipulated international instances and media?), she's confronted to huge problems originating from decennia of total military dictatorship and Buddhist extremism, and has little sails to face that storm and navigate between the cliffs. A VERY brave person, doing all she can, but she, herself hanging on a thin silk thread. What, of course, uninformed, ...and ill-meaning, malevolent growths are not prepared to POSITIVELY COLLABORATE with her. I think she didn't ever suppose she could be left so lonely in her constant efforts!

A fair reply. But let's leave it there before the thread is taken off topic and the mods swoop.

The people yelling traitor should look up the definition of treason and decide which politician's actions are criminal. I mean their English dictionary is already open to the letter "T". 

11 hours ago, Eligius said:

How pathetic! Calling this brave, idealistic, principled young man a 'traitor' - when the real traitors are those who stole the country from its people TWICE OVER!

Hope he creates an upset in Thailand similar to what happened in Malaysia.  

The pen may be mightier than the sword but give me a tank anyday.

General Prayuth aka PM has all the tanks.

Thanathorn has refreshing ideas and won the popular vote but he doesn't have any tanks.

Democracy has never really got past first base and is now in the toilet.

Thanathorn also has a problem of being THAI. 

If he does become PM soon do you think life will get any better for westerners visiting or living here?

Thais are taught to be xenaphobics the moment they start school including billionaire Thanathorn.

A major change in attitude towards foreigners is needed otherwise this country will fall way behind.

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“For Future Forward Party, the country is its people, not its government. The foreign officials I met want Thai politics to be good again, like it was in the past,” he said. 

When has Thai politics ever been a good policy?

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“You cannot buy media outlets of that stature. They are proud of their reputation and carefully choose who they want to interview. It’s impossible to set it up,” he said.

The words of a person who grew up in corruption and for whom corruption is everything!
Just the BBC is a totally corrupt organization!

By “betraying” the country they mean he actually told the truth about what is going on here yes?

It’s The corrupt scoundrels in charge here who betray this country and it’s people every single day !

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

People who are truly cowards, are the ones who label people with fake, weak, false, and malicious tropes, like being a traitor, disloyal, and screaming things like send her home, when they are in need to support, and struggling with failed domestic policy. These are truly weak men, with black hearts, who are up to no good.

There was nothing he said in Europe that was in any way disloyal to Thailand. Criticism is part of the democratic process, and only those with fabulous low self esteem, and no sense of self worth take offense. A man with paper thin skin is not truly a man. Man up guys. Deal with it. Your nation is far from perfect. There is much work to be done. 

To say that he wanted Thai politics to be good again, is not something a real man in a position of leadership would take offense to. Thin skin is an incredibly unattractive quality in a person, much less a leader, and diminishes their leadership power to an extraordinary degree. Just more deflection from incompetent leaders, who are not capable of taking responsibility for any problems they have created. 

The truth that these small men do not want to face, is that Thanathorn is a hero to many Thais, and correctly so. He is the closest thing to a real leader this nation has. 

12 hours ago, Eligius said:

Prayut will be found innocent of all wrong-doing, and Thanathorn will be found guilty, I fear. If that happens, it is the end of Thanathorn's political career (on THAT charge and at this stage of things ....).

How would the Thais (in their millions) react then - if Thanathorn were banned from politics for life?

Probably the same as now: with anger - but without actually DOING anything!

I respectfully disagree Eligius. I believe that " if Thanathorn were banned from politics for life", this would be the "anger" tipping point.

The young Thais who so strongly support Thanathorn would see through this charade and come out in droves in support of Thanathorn.

Quashing Thanathorn would be quashing their hope for a "true" democratic future. They will not stand for it. ("stand", multiple use word. Actually, they will "stand", stand united for their beliefs).

11 hours ago, Eligius said:

One of my English friends was with her at Oxford (as students).

Now, I cannot prove that this is true, but in fact it is: I was the only person I knew and know who years and years ago predicted that Aung San Su Kyi (when she was being hailed as the future saviour) would become a little dictator.

Interesting. Several years ago my friend here showed me a photo of a couple of her older relatives with her - they'd been together at Oxford in the late 60s too. This was before she'd fallen from grace and was still widely viewed as an inspiring figure, so it was a different kind of conversation than it would be now. It was clear though that even as a young lady she wielded a lot of power. Family history aside, at that age she was quite striking, and many people were besotted by her looks and charisma.

20 minutes ago, neeray said:

I respectfully disagree Eligius. I believe that " if Thanathorn were banned from politics for life", this would be the "anger" tipping point.

The young Thais who so strongly support Thanathorn would see through this charade and come out in droves in support of Thanathorn.

Quashing Thanathorn would be quashing their hope for a "true" democratic future. They will not stand for it. ("stand", multiple use word. Actually, they will "stand", stand united for their beliefs).

You could be right, Neeray. Certainly there would be huge fury if Thanathorn were banned from politics for 20 years or life. Whether that anger would transform itself into more effective political action, I am not sure. Certainly there would be SOME brave souls (maybe even several thousand) who would place their love of their motherland and their children's future above personal safety; but I fear the numbers would (as every time in Thai history) be nowhere near sufficient to bring about the radical change they would wish to see.

Naturally, I hope that you are right and that I am wrong!

2 hours ago, neeray said:

You're joking surely? 

Thais have no capacity for sacrifice or fighting back. They are impotent, only able to target and fight those weaker than them. They cannot tolerate anything that is not 'sanuk'. 

"Rebellion? 'mai sanuk ka. Tham mai dai ka.'"

If there was ever a population that deserved to be perpetually exploited, some might say Thais deserve it for their lack of will to shed blood for what is right. 

Thry won't do a single thing no matter what happens go Thanathorn. 

42 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Thanks for posting this.Watching this interview reminded me a lot of Bruce Lee,not only his accent but also his power or what I would call his considered forcefulness. 

I said - on a different platform - over a year ago when I first saw Thanathorn that he somewhat looks and sounds like Bruce Lee. He has that charisma.

44 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

You're joking surely? 

Thais have no capacity for sacrifice or fighting back. They are impotent, only able to target and fight those weaker than them. They cannot tolerate anything that is not 'sanuk'. 

"Rebellion? 'mai sanuk ka. Tham mai dai ka.'"

If there was ever a population that deserved to be perpetually exploited, some might say Thais deserve it for their lack of will to shed blood for what is right. 

Thry won't do a single thing no matter what happens go Thanathorn. 

I recognise some truth in what you say, certainly. And I recognise it with a very heavy heart.

BUT in all fairness we must remember that there have been hundreds, if not thousands, of very, VERY BRAVE Thais who paid the ultimate price in their struggle for human rights, freedom and dignity.

There was, for example, a certain deadly 'conflict' in the 1970s at Thammasat University (referenced by a hugely watched newish Thai rap group who sing about what their country 'has' - including a stellar collection of multiple, magnificent wristwatches ...). 

15 minutes ago, Eligius said:

I recognise some truth in what you say, certainly. And I recognise it with a very heavy heart.

BUT in all fairness we must remember that there have been hundreds, if not thousands, of very, VERY BRAVE Thais who paid the ultimate price in their struggle for human rights, freedom and dignity.

There was, for example, a certain deadly 'conflict' in the 1970s at Thammasat University (referenced by a hugely watched newish Thai rap group who sing about what their country 'has' - including a stellar collection of multiple, magnificent wristwatches ...). 

That's fair. There have been some Thais. I must acknowledge that fact. 

There aren't nearly enough Thais though willing to stand up for what is right. 

7 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

That's fair. There have been some Thais. I must acknowledge that fact. 

There aren't nearly enough Thais though willing to stand up for what is right. 

You have put your finger on the central problem, Fex Bluse. That is precisely what I myself keep banging on about in post after post. There are nearly 70 MILLION Thais in Thailand.

Where are they in this struggle????!!!!

Thanathorn will largely stand alone (relative to the Thai population numbers) when and if his head is finally on the chopping block (I speak metaphorically, of course). Only a few thousand brave and noble souls will dare to put their heads above the parapet and stand at his side. Our respect for such persons - if they appear - must be boundless.

Didn't the General betray Thailand by rigging his election win? PP came in 2nd in terms of votes but still managed to manipulate the figures with EC to win.. Thanathorn was rightfully talking the truth in Europe.. Good on him.. 

I'm with Fex Bluse on this: I just don't think the Thais have it in them.  Bangrak misses the point in worrying about Thanathorn's true character and motivations... He should be questioning those of the average Thai... Those who could leave a fledgling progressive movement to die in the vine out of fear.

While it's general human nature to not leave the comfort zone and make big changes in one's own attitudes and actions until backed into a corner or facing major trauma... This tendency is writ large for Thais, like we're talking 50m tall letters that spell in blinking neon "Don't rock the boat.  Ever.  For any reason.  Always back a sure winner.  Survive for today.  At ALL costs.  Even when the cost could well be the future."

I wish it were otherwise, but one other poster on another thread put it well--but grimly--when they said that the Thai people just haven't suffered enough to be mobilized to action.  Conditions will probably need to deal them an XXXXXL-sized slap upside the head to wake them up, and by the time that happens, the reaction may be--well, let's just say it's not pretty when a Thai finally snaps.

So imagine just 1% of their population snapping ...600,000 or so.  And then imagine the chain reaction, because let's go through the list again:

1.   Deeply repressed rage, often decades-old

2.  Desire to do things in a group

3.  Desire to back a likely/emerging winner

4.  Wealth equality gap and demographic spread of Thailand

French Revolution, anyone?  Violent, deranged mob rule?  Whatever it is, it doesn't sound at all like it will be a semi-civilized reform movement or even a normal revolution.  

I don't know if that tipping point trauma will come or not.  It actually does seem the government will try to make nice in some small and mostly meaningless ways... As little as they can get away with to bleed off some of the pressure building in Thai people... They'll be smart enough to give away some public power and control to avoid blowing their whole scheme.  I don't buy the common caricature of them being 100% out-of-touch and incompetent (at least vis a vis holding onto power).  And they'll be smart enough to throw a few highest-profile scapegoats from their own ranks to the public should they need to publicly "rehabilitate" their coalition's image to get on with the business of screwing and screwing up Thailand.  

Thus my depressing prognosis: more limping/bumbling along and half-assery for Thailand for the foreseeable.

Archived