Thanathorn denies betraying Thailand through comments in Europe

snoop1130

4 minutes ago, ramr said:

I'm with Fex Bluse on this: I just don't think the Thais have it in them.  Bangrak misses the point in worrying about Thanathorn's true character and motivations... He should be questioning those of the average Thai... Those who could leave a fledgling progressive movement to die in the vine out of fear.

While it's general human nature to not leave the comfort zone and make big changes in one's own attitudes and actions until backed into a corner or facing major trauma... This tendency is writ large for Thais, like we're talking 50m tall letters that spell in blinking neon "Don't rock the boat.  Ever.  For any reason.  Always back a sure winner.  Survive for today.  At ALL costs.  Even when the cost could well be the future."

I wish it were otherwise, but one other poster on another thread put it well--but grimly--when they said that the Thai people just haven't suffered enough to be mobilized to action.  Conditions will probably need to deal them an XXXXXL-sized slap upside the head to wake them up, and by the time that happens, the reaction may be--well, let's just say it's not pretty when a Thai finally snaps.

So imagine just 1% of their population snapping ...600,000 or so.  And then imagine the chain reaction, because let's go through the list again:

1.   Deeply repressed rage, often decades-old

2.  Desire to do things in a group

3.  Desire to back a likely/emerging winner

4.  Wealth equality gap and demographic spread of Thailand

French Revolution, anyone?  Violent, deranged mob rule?  Whatever it is, it doesn't sound at all like it will be a semi-civilized reform movement or even a normal revolution.  

I don't know if that tipping point trauma will come or not.  It actually does seem the government will try to make nice in some small and mostly meaningless ways... As little as they can get away with to bleed off some of the pressure building in Thai people... They'll be smart enough to give away some public power and control to avoid blowing their whole scheme.  I don't buy the common caricature of them being 100% out-of-touch and incompetent (at least vis a vis holding onto power).  And they'll be smart enough to throw a few highest-profile scapegoats from their own ranks to the public should they need to publicly "rehabilitate" their coalition's image to get on with the business of screwing and screwing up Thailand.  

Thus my depressing prognosis: more limping/bumbling along and half-assery for Thailand for the foreseeable.

Well I'm trying with all my might to remain optimistic but like I've said before I have much better success and fun pushing sh!t up a steep incline with my nose!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Just as I was saying in the other thread! 

His comments RE "westerners cannot help us" was to prove his Thainess. 

Funny that so many expats cannot read between the lines. 

Yes, must read between the lines lo! Heaven forbid he simply made an accurate statement of fact.

1 hour ago, owenm said:

Didn't the General betray Thailand by rigging his election win? PP came in 2nd in terms of votes but still managed to manipulate the figures with EC to win.. Thanathorn was rightfully talking the truth in Europe.. Good on him.. 

No they didn't. PP won the popular vote, PTP won the most seats. After somewhat excruciating deliberations on how the dinosaur party list seats would be doled out, both scrambled to cobble together a minority government with "allies and new friends",

Archived