Turkeys In Thailand

Doisaketmoobaan

With the past couple of food topics like lemons and Potatoes. I want to know about Turkeys-why is there very little turkey in Thailand. Do they have turkey farms here? Should I be the first to start a farm?

I know that you can buy sliced turkey breast at most farang markets in BKK but its not found anywhere else in Kingdom

except in frozen birds a thanksgiving and very expensive.

Its the real other white meat and healthier, :D cmon who wants to start a Turkey farm? :o -R

I know resturants in Phuket that get fresh turkeys over the Crimble festive season, so i guess they are available, just gotta look harder...

Gobble gobble :o

Have I heard that Gobble has other meanings ? :D But Turkey is said to be a very low fat and healthy meat. Go for it. :D

• Haha 1

It is a lot of turkeys in Thailand, but the Thais dont eat them because they believe turkeymeat make you feel like itchy inside your body. Last year I bought 3 small one, but we ate them just before the flu came.

If you want to know more about Turkeys, contact the mayor of Loei. He have a 8000 turkey farm and want to make Loei to a "turkey place". If you post me your adress I can send you a copy from a very useful article from Bangkok Post about

turkey in Thailand. The price of turkey go up more than 300% in two year. If you dont want to send your adress, send me an e-mail, and I will try to scan the article

and send it by mail.

Turkeys In Thailand
Loads of em.

Just pop into any local bar you will see them, purple heads from too much booze wattles from no exercise and making sounds that make no sense.

Not sure if it's legal to kill them though.

Have I heard that Gobble has other meanings

I used to stay in a hotel that had a Goblin teasmade in every room very popular.

maerim and kringle, get outta here with the slagging off and lets' talk turkey. If thais don't like turkey then the local business activity would be to supply the local falang demand alone...sort of like exotic meats like ground beef, steak and etc. imported from abroad, Hormel Tamales in a can and etc.

I quite like sliced smoked turkey breast...whay would it take to get the local production off the ground?

Sorry for the slag, just ticked me when he couldn't offer anything funny or constructive. Met one of the guys that has one of the Subway shops and I'm sure he would like the info about where to get fresh turkey in Loei. I myself wouldn't mind finding out more. I rather like the smaller ones because the big ones tend to be too stringy. :o As far as my previous post, I'll edit it.

In Pattaya, Friendship Supermarket sells filled rolls - big ones mainly filled with tuna salad, but others with Beef salad and Turkey salad. My six-year-old always instructs me to get the turkey, so that she can have the meat, while I get a salad-filled roll.

Turkey is available in the larger centres, if you are prepared to look for it.

As to starting a turkey-farm, what about avian flu and other diseases? I understand that turkeys are more susceptible than local chickens, and I have a friend who'se chicken farm (open range) was wiped out a few years ago by a predecessor to avian flu. No compensation - just a business risk.

Whilst we are on the subject of fat birds, what about rearing ostriches? This meat is very healthly because (apparently there is zilch chloresterol in the meat).

When I lived in Belgium there were many ostrich farms. Then they opened one in a wood just near to my house in the Uk. I used to walk my kids through the wood and then suddenly this huge great neck would pop up over the hedge. Scared the ###### out of them!!

There must be a lot of decent meat on an ostrich. Not sure how you kill them though. Pair of shears perhaps? :o

Currently keep turkeys in Khon Kaen and geese in Chiang Mai. Enjoy looking after them but can never bring myself to have them killed. So still tend to order birds to cook from the supermarket!

Geese are very good burglar alarms and turkeys provide an excellent alarm clock service, so not all is lost there.

We pay 785 a Baht a kilo for Turkey breast. This is 500% higher than anywhere else in the World. Our food cost is 58% on a foot long turkey Sub because of it. In he restaurant business you want your food costs to be around 28-32%.

For O'Brians I understand they pay 180 Baht a kilo for a whole bird. This is about 250% higher than the prices in the States wholesale. It is however Butterball which is very popular.

Subway does have very strict food safety standards and most processors in Thailand have not passed their inspection. We are always looking to lower our costs, so yes raise some turkeys. It sure makes sense.

Whilst we are on the subject of fat birds, what about rearing ostriches? This meat is very healthly because (apparently there is zilch chloresterol in the meat).

When I lived in Belgium there were many ostrich farms. Then they opened one in a wood just near to my house in the Uk. I used to walk my kids through the wood and then suddenly this huge great neck would pop up over the hedge. Scared the ###### out of them!!

There must be a lot of decent meat on an ostrich. Not sure how you kill them though. Pair of shears perhaps? :D

There's small ostrich farms all over the shop up in Isaan. Mostly seem to raise about 10 -20 birds and raise them intensively on pelleted feed. That means, like intensively-reared chickens and turkeys, they taste mightily similar to the cack that gets fed into them, plus added growth promoters (hormones) and anti-biotics for good measure. V. healthy boost of immunity I'm sure! :D

They got promoted a few years back by some politicians (with their heads buried in the sand), who imported all the original stock and made a pretty baht flogging them to others. However, the industry hasn't taken off cos of the low demand, high costs, problems (like suicidal ostriches that run full tilt into fences and break their necks) and high prices for the consumer. Hence, it seems to be on the decline now, judging form abandoned farms I've seen over the last year or so.

Free-range turkeys though, could have good potential, if you could stop the buggers from treading on their chicks or abandoning them. :o

I dunno. Domesticated turkeys are notoriously stupid and difficult to raise. (As opposed to wild turkeys, which are clever and sneaky) Turkeys are native to North America, so I can see where they might not be a staple in the Thai diet.

As for feed...I personally hate eating pork that's been fed on garbage. It gives the meat a foul garbage-tainted flavor. Give me that Iowa corn-fed pork any day!

cathayy...you contradict a consensus among butchers that I used to drink with at Brennan's bar in Berkeley 20 years ago that confirmed that porkers fed on slop give tastier meat.

At 4pm on the dot everyday a pickup slides up to the house opposite ours to collect slop for their pig farm. Our neighbors do a business supplying basic ingredients to local food stall vendors and usually have a 5 gallon bucket to collect daily. Locally produced mu and mu daeng are the best I've had in Thailand...and I don't even like Thai food...

Are turkeys native to North America? Bernal Diaz who rode with Cortez described a similar bird in his writings during the Conquest of Mexico...large chickens with chocolate sauce and etc...(pavo en mole)

(crazed priests on the temple of Huizilopochli covered with chocolate sauce and human blood holding aloft still beating hearts of sacrificial victims...)

We pay 785 a Baht a kilo for Turkey breast. This is 500% higher than anywhere else in the World. Our food cost is 58% on a foot long turkey Sub because of it. In he restaurant business you want your food costs to be around 28-32%.

For O'Brians I understand they pay 180 Baht a kilo for a whole bird. This is about 250% higher than the prices in the States wholesale. It is however Butterball which is very popular.

Subway does have very strict food safety standards and most processors in Thailand have not passed their inspection. We are always looking to lower our costs, so yes raise some turkeys. It sure makes sense.

Ok Sunbelt find the property for me ill raise em for you exclusively!

as im tired of having to go all the way to Bkk for my foot long double turkey then dodge sukhumvit traffic to get another one to go-

have to support both of my fav places in BKK-R

Ps I paid 900 baht a kilo for cooked frozen turkey breast by jenni-o here in CM and freezing turkey takes away from the quality big time but better than nothing- :o

What about when you wake up in Chiang Mai? Do you prefer that to Khon Kaen? (I would imagine - based on my own own love-to-sleep-in-experience...)

Chiang Mai is definitely preferable, for a host of reasons, not just the geese!

If I may, I would like to post a quote from a piece I wrote late last year:

Currently we have two Rottweilers, an Alsatian, a Dalmatian, a ShiTzu, Fox Terrier, Jack Russell and two Thai Ridgebacks; together best referred to as a yowl, rather than a pack. Just don't ride a bicycle past if our front gate is open. You will not be bitten, but the noise will be sure to send you into

orbit.

Geese, a Yowl of dogs and a pond make for a magnificent recipe for the lazy owner. Let them loose together and the geese happily swim up and down in the water, followed by Alsatian and Rottweilers. The remainder of the Yowl gleefully runs round and round the pond, giving loud voice to their joy of living. Much fun and exercise is had by all and the chilled beer or GT can find a warm home the while. An hour or so later and we have a panting Yowl flat out in dappled shade on the opposite side of the garden, safe cyclists and garden cropping geese. Sheer blissful peace.

cathayy...you contradict a consensus among butchers that I used to drink with at Brennan's bar in Berkeley 20 years ago that confirmed that porkers fed on slop give tastier meat.

At 4pm on the dot everyday a pickup slides up to the house opposite ours to collect slop for their pig farm. Our neighbors do a business supplying basic ingredients to local food stall vendors and usually have a 5 gallon bucket to collect daily. Locally produced mu and mu daeng are the best I've had in Thailand...and I don't even like Thai food...

Are turkeys native to North America? Bernal Diaz who rode with Cortez described a similar bird in his writings during the Conquest of Mexico...large chickens with chocolate sauce and etc...(pavo en mole)

(crazed priests on the temple of Huizilopochli covered with chocolate sauce and human blood holding aloft still beating hearts of sacrificial victims...)

tutsi old bean, pigs reared on slops taste good, pigs rooting around the back yard taste even better. Especially the native black variety, often mis-sold as "moo paa". :D

But toy-keys are definitely a true North American domesticate, one of the few that wasn't introduced by the conquistadors. And, I don't know what they taught you in Geog. at school, but they taught us that Mexico is part of the North of the continent, but I'm probably wrong? All that getting covered in chocolate sauce and human blood at a sacrifice sounds like a lot of sanuk - you been on the Sangthip again Tuts? :o

Right...what's Thanksgiving without roasted Tom turkey! Cranberry sauce, giblet dressing. Man, I'm getting the old Farang-Food Jones here!

BTW, they say Monica Lweinsky was a "Gobbler" and she had the Blue Dress to prove it! :o

plachon...Mexico may be part of the north American continent geographically but don't ever call a Mexican a 'norteamericano' lest you meet the same fate as Fred C Dobbs at the hands of deranged Mexican bandits...they'll take your boots and trousers as well.

I meant to say that Bernal Diaz observed the locals eating large birds as described in The Conquest of Mexico. Cacao is also native to the area hence mole that is prepared from chocolate and 5 different types of chile. Pavo (turkey) en mole is one of the great mexican traditional dishes.

No Sangtip...just got back from tescos and am drinking in style with some bottles of Kermanoff.

I could do a 12 pound bird in my little Whirlpool stove oven but it's not like having the family over for Thanksgiving. It's true that most locals would probably deep fry the bird in a big wok on stove top as in most cases no one has an oven to roast the bird. Must investigate the possibility of roasting birds in a pit lined with hot rocks, covered and un earthed the next day or a rotisserie arrangement with grandma and her friends cranking the handle and drinking Sang Som with roll up cigarettes and cackling over dirty jokes.

Where there is a will, there is a way...

I could do a 12 pound bird in my little Whirlpool stove oven but it's not like having the family over for Thanksgiving. It's true that most locals would probably deep fry the bird in a big wok on stove top as in most cases no one has an oven to roast the bird. Must investigate the possibility of roasting birds in a pit lined with hot rocks, covered and un earthed the next day or a rotisserie arrangement with grandma and her friends cranking the handle and drinking Sang Som with roll up cigarettes and cackling over dirty jokes.

Where there is a will, there is a way...

Kermanoff? ...........is that something like Smirnoff without the price tag? Sounds like something an East German might have drunk after fillling up the battery of his Lada. Mai pen rai, you'll be able to drink the blue label stuff after this job in Dubai Tuts. :D

We may not share the same taste in grog, but I see we share the same brandname in ovens - no complaints with our little Whirlpool, even though I was a bit sceptical at first everything would come out fresh smelling and soggy. We've done roast beef, toy-keys, geese (send 'em round here p1p!) in it and tonite, I believe the lady of the manor is going a roast chicken for a change from ordinary fayre. Might wash it down with a slurp of some matured Barossa grape juice. :D

Funny you should mention the roasting pit Tuts. I was in the predicament of living in the middle of nowhere in Laos about 6 years back (no oven for 100 miles around) with a garden full of turkeys and Xmas coming up and guests arriving. It's amazing what you can do with a spade, some corrugated iron/zinc, large flat stones to store the heat and a little patience. That free-range turkey was one of the best I ever tasted, done to a tee underground. And for pud, none of that stodgy traditional stuff that is the last thing one craves after a stomach full of turkey, roast spuds and 5 veg, but some fried bananas (out the garden), flambeed in Regency and covered in melted Dutch choccie, courtesy of our guests. Saep lai, lai! :o:D Dirty jokes yes, but not sure about having grandma over, home rollies and Sangsom, being a recipe for success.