ISP in BKK that will let me use my own Apple router?

JTXR

When I got AIS Fibre a while ago, they insisted on using their own router.  I got the impression that their techs didn't know how to install other routers.  I may change address soon and would like to find an ISP that will install my own Apple router.  I want to use that so I can use Apple's capability to have a main line for myself and a second "guest" line with separate password.  Any suggestions?   Thanks.

You can always try plugging your Apple router into AIS's router and just turn off the AIS wifi. This will work fine for almost all types of data, though in some circumstances you may need to adjust the AIS router to allow all data to pass through unaltered.

Apparently AIS use routers which configure themselves over the connection and this normally prevents you from using other brands of router as a direct replacement.

Most other companies don't do that, so you could configure your own router with their login/password and use it as a direct replacement with them.

Edit: looks like it is indeed possible to do this with AIS.

You may even find that the AIS router has the guest wifi function built-in as it is a fairly standard feature of better routers these days. All my routers do, including the two provided by my ISPs.

Thanks for the replies. 

I tried plugging my Apple router into the AIS router, but it didn't work.  The AIS router gives a 5G connection and a 4G connection, but both have the same password.  Doesn't seem to be a true guest connection (with a separate password). 

21 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Apparently AIS use routers which configure themselves over the connection and this normally prevents you from using other brands of router as a direct replacement.

Most other companies don't do that, so you could configure your own router with their login/password and use it as a direct replacement with them.

My experience with ISPs in other countries, especially with cable connections, is that for some situations the ISP knows the MAC address of the modem; it doesn't really matter what the user's login and password to their network is. If that's so, he's stuck with the modem AIS supplied

I just got 3BB installed at a condo with an Apple router. There's two ways to setup.

1) just plug your Apple router into the LAN port on the supplied 3BB modem. There's a physical switch on the modem to turn off the 3BB WiFi. DHCP and NAT is managed by the modem but in most situations you won't need to make changes, but it's best to disable the same on your Apple router.

or 2) you will need the login/password for the modem from 3bb. The engineer who installs for you will have it written down on his paperwork. Ask him for it, or take a photo of it. Next you'll need to login to the 3bb modem and switch it to "bridge mode". Go to your apple router and enter the login/password at the appropriate place and the router will connect direct to 3bb and authenticate you. You're good to go. I should add that there is no need to call 3bb to ask them to switch your account to bridge mode, I believe some people have stated that in the past, however if you do everything properly on your end it will work automatically.

Archived