Expats with kids

dreaming

Reading through the forum it seems alot of expats have kids in thailand at an older age. Did you guys have kids when younger in your home country and are doing it again, or is it a first time thing.

I have teenage kids in farangland, just about to leave home. I would never dream to go through the whole process again with my thai girlfriend. 

I don't fit the "guys" question, as a woman, but yes I had 2 kids and when they were 23 and 16 I added Child 3 with my Thai hubby.  It was actually pretty funny that people usually thought the 16yo was the mum and I was the grandmother ????  We no longer live in Thailand, but we have relocated to a place where we have a cleaner/nanny to help out and our littlest is in school these days.  We both stay fit and healthy so we can do the running around with our youngest, since the eldest 2 no longer live at home.  But really other than declining energy levels, it's no different than it was with the first two. In fact I'm much more patient than the first time around, since I know my others grew up just fine!

On 7/20/2019 at 3:00 AM, dreaming said:

Did you guys have kids when younger in your home country and are doing it again, or is it a first time thing.

Had 4 in the UK, now aged 17 to 32.

Have 2 in Thailand aged 8 to 20.

It's great having kids around the house.

I'm also a much better dad now, I'm around all the time for them, and am much more easy going now I don't have to work every day.

My wife and I [and a huge family too] have been raising a niece since she was 1 yr old... as an old guy I get to be grandpa, uncle, father, chaueffer and provider. I go to the parent/teacher meetings but I am also patient, have time and can easily afford the expenses...

I don't know how younger people manage to bring up kids... 

What really annoys me is when a Thai asks if you have kids and when you say no they then ask why...

My wife and I were both asked the ‘why not’ question twice, once by a shop vendor and once by a builder And I feel like saying mind your own business.

Don’t worry even if you don’t have kids Your genes wont die out like some people think since everyone shares 99% of the same genes anyway and the remaining 1% is probably around with nieces nephews brother sisters etc. 

Youll probably be doing the world overpopulation issue a favour anyhow 

If you can afford to help some  orphanage kids who dont have a family already maybe.

Having kids with a Thai is ok only if you care nothing and are not worried for his future.

Otherwise, better (if any better) have only kids in farangland. But of course, so much better to never have kids and shooot blank.

16 minutes ago, NightSky said:

What really annoys me is when a Thai asks if you have kids and when you say no they then ask why...

My wife and I were both asked the ‘why not’ question twice, once by a shop vendor and once by a builder And I feel like saying mind your own business.

Don’t worry even if you don’t have kids Your genes wont die out like some people think since everyone shares 99% of the same genes anyway and the remaining 1% is probably around with nieces nephews brother sisters etc. 

Youll probably be doing the world overpopulation issue a favour anyhow 

If you can afford to help some  orphanage kids who dont have a family already maybe.

I just reply they that I don't like kids, so they feel even more shocked ! But then I add that I love dogs and my GF cannot give birth to any dog.

I'm also a much better dad now, I'm around all the time for them, and am much more easy going now I don't have to work every day.

That’s the spirit BritMannToo. Was a bit worried about your post the other day but this post sounds brighter.

Two in their 30's in UK and one 7 in Thailand. Wife did't have any kids so it was only fair to let her have one. She does bring some joy to my declining years, but get tired too! And, since Brexit, results in a tight budget.

I drank too much in the UK to be any use to a wife and kids

In Thailand has proved to be a different story, wouldn't be without them, they are 13 and 17 are entertaining, intelligent, helpful, seem to enjoy life. They are smart and affable enough that I do not worry about their education, as long as they can calculate numbers, and think for themselves, they can so far.

All down to my wife and Yai of course, Their tough love is sometimes a joy to behold but it works ????

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I thought you spent most of your time in Cambodia getting pissed and shagging.

10 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

What are you babbling about? Read his many posts on this subject.

Hardly a babble dear boy; & yes I have read his many posts. 

If you had, all would perhaps, be clearer to you.

Have a smashing evening.

:wink:

5 hours ago, plfomylo said:

Having kids with a Thai is ok only if you care nothing and are not worried for his future.

Otherwise, better (if any better) have only kids in farangland. But of course, so much better to never have kids and shooot blank.

So , when your old and feeble , it would be nice to have your children care for you.

Reap  what you sow.

my 3 kids are 37-42 in nz..i have a very young thai girlfriend--she wants a baby..

i say nothing, but couldnt think of much worse happening, than that, although im very healthy and can easily afford to give a kid a good  life-- i dont think it would be the right thing to do...at 68 or so..

i have met several expats in thailand, who have had their first kid to a thai lady- in their very late 60s..

in two of those cases, the family were struggling on the guys pension, so younger wife had to work and the older guy was struggling to keep up with young active kid...

i certainly would never want my kid to be schooled in thailand...

19 minutes ago, elliss said:

So , when your old and feeble , it would be nice to have your children care for you.

Reap  what you sow.

If you have kids so they can look after you isn’t that a little selfish?

if i had kids I certainly wouldn’t want them wiping my geriatric backside if I ever get to that stage and I doubt they would thank me for that.

Be successful and save your money so that you can look after yourself is a good idea no?

1 hour ago, elliss said:

Reap  what you sow.

Unfortunately for many members when they are old and feeble said children will still be in primary school.

Silly old fools IMHO.

Have 2 kids in Europe, and now two girls, aged 4 and 8. I got a vasectomy, as planned once we got the second one. The funny thing is that we still have people asking us if we are trying to have a boy, bear in mind that I am 67 ! But T.I.T.

1 hour ago, NightSky said:

If you have kids so they can look after you isn’t that a little selfish?

if i had kids I certainly wouldn’t want them wiping my geriatric backside if I ever get to that stage and I doubt they would thank me for that.

Be successful and save your money so that you can look after yourself is a good idea no?

You seriously think after cleaning up a baby that just exploded stinking milky shit all over it's back end, any quick wipe of a geriatrics bum is going to cause repulsion?

I doubt you have ever cleaned up a shitty baby? and if you were into farming, a calf with scour is the most rancid stench you could possibly face!!!

Geriatric bum, no big deal.

6 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Unfortunately for many members when they are old and feeble said children will still be in primary school.

Silly old fools IMHO.

Of course Mr Pockets, you, are a sprightly 63: allegedly. Or is that a "Porkie"?

Enjoy your day.

????

So how old is to old 50,54,60,65.....what's the magic number. A guy in his late 60's having a kid, wow...well it would surely give him a reason to remain young at heart. Having enough money for a good life is one of the daunting task's for the old guy with a young kid.

4 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

So how old is to old 50,54,60,65.....what's the magic number. A guy in his late 60's having a kid, wow...well it would surely give him a reason to remain young at heart. Having enough money for a good life is one of the daunting task's for the old guy with a young kid.

Well said, I fall into the latter category and now I am able to spend a lot of time with a fantastic little three year old girl something I couldn’t do with my first child in Australia because I was too busy working to make money.

I believe that at my age I have a better understanding of children than I ever had before probably learned from life’s experiences.

I agree that it’s not for everyone, but neither is living in Thailand but I wouldn’t swap either.

Archived