TM30 nonsense

Just don't see why I should bother to be honest.

If I travel to stay with my family in BKK  for a few days why should I bother going to immigration when I get back and tell them where I have just been?

I accept if I went and stayed in a hotel on an island and they asked for my passport I would have to go and of course I know that upon my return from abroad I have to go (or my wife does). We don't live in rented accomodation.

But anywhere that does not want me to show my passport.....why should I spend all this extra time and energy...what's the point anyway?

If anybody can tell me why it is imperative that I do this I would be very grateful.

Made my wife open a account on the online app and she got password in about a week. When I was living in Bangkok, I would always go to CW about 1h before the office opening and the queue was already huge. Always got out about 11h.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Essecola said:

The tm30 crap is what finally made me just leave. I could still enter exempt by land if wanted to and could easily get another tourist visa if I applied. Still couldn't see clearly how to 'stay up to date with' or 'keep on top of' tm30. Something to 'always need to be worried about'. Didn't fancy spending an entire one of my days in traffic and at the immigration office just to receive a fine. On top of all the other things re visas which give CONSTANT headaches, loss of peace of mind, & uncomfortable sleep. I have never been in any country that has something as ridiculous as tm30.

Many posters mention being at Chaeng Wattana until late but they never mention what traffic is like on that road when u leave the building at 6pm-ish. I guess those who don't mind a 35 min walk over to Laksi railway train station can get a local train back into town for 6-20baht. 

You aren't alone. Thai officialdom will treat foreigners as badly as the foreigners will put up with. Photos, fingerprints, queues, TM 30... Once they have got that all nice and organised, they will come up with something else to make life more of a misery.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, genobkk said:

The place I stay was raided, many had to pay fine, they where ask for copy of lease, TM30 receipt, pictures taken inside and out side of room.  

Stool  and  blood   sample?

The whole of Thai Immigration is flooded w/ paperwork, i.e. TM30 reports, Visa & extension Application.

Friend calculated, would take a swimming pool 4 mtrs x 15 mtrs x 4mtrs deep to store all the TM 30 for alone!!!

PM Prayut has FB page  (ประยุทธ์ จันทร์โอชา Prayut Chan-o-cha) all should post message requesting change to Immigration requirements, particularly TM30, for Expats living in Thailand or face a mass exodus w/ loss of B's & B's Bht!! 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, eggers said:

Friend calculated, would take a swimming pool 4 mtrs x 15 mtrs x 4mtrs deep to store all the TM 30 for alone!!!

Any idea how that converts into Olympic sized pools or London double deckers, my preferred units of volume ????

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, billsmart said:

I don't have one myself, but I've been told Thai Immigrations is distributing a smartphone app for this. One of my friends just got one. It's called "Section 38 app." Here is a link to a Thai Immigration site about it: http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=alienstay 

Dont see anything on that page/link regarding an "app" ?

2 hours ago, MeePeeMai said:

Where's all naysayers in this TM30 thread?  

1.   "Been here 50 years and I've never had to do one"  

2.   "it just takes a few minutes, why complain"?

3.   "Just let your landlord do it, it's his responsibility not yours"

4.   "Just let your landlord pay the fine"

5.   "it's always been this way"

6.   "if you don't like it just leave"

7.   "You cannot self report a TM30"  etc etc etc

I could go on and on but I think we get the point.

Ok I'll bite!

1. Been here 40 years, sorry cannot match 50! You win that one.

2. It just takes me a couple of minutes - even do the TM28 at same time, to print it all out on the computer.

3. I am the landlord.

4. Have never paid a fine.

5. Its always been this way for me.

6. Cannot leave, I have a wife and kids!

7. I self report a TM30 as I am the landlord.

Until now I have never been the CW to do it in person ever. Always send it by post with a SAE and they return it about 10-14 days later.

That was the case for past 2 years when TM30 seemed to become an issue, previous 36 years no one ever mentioned it. Now I don't even do the post method as I have online logon. 

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Been that way at CW for a long time now. That is why they stop issuing queue numbers at 15:30.

I think you will find that many immigration offices will continue to work after 4:30 if they still have people being served.

Edit: And now a off topic post about airport immigration has been removed.

And they can work to 6.30-7pm and beyond. No wonder many of them are grumpy - customers and immigaration staff alike. Many goverment workers here work much longer than alloted hours. My wife is away all weekend doing activities at her college. 

5 hours ago, law ling said:

My landlady told me she was fined B500 (Jomtien) for reporting me late (TM30). Typically Thai, she appeared good natured about it.

Who keeps the B500 "fine" - the IO or the government? I suspect the former, and that this is proving a nice earner for them.

How does the "report within 24 hours" rule work? If it's strictly calculated, from  say plane touchdown, one would always be caught if arriving late on the eve of a day when their office is closed - except for those competent with electronic reporting, or trusting to do it by mail (and the post office being open).

the joke is : you land on friday afternoon... it can wait till monday

but not if you land on monday afternoon

5 hours ago, law ling said:

How does the "report within 24 hours" rule work? If it's strictly calculated, from  say plane touchdown, one would always be caught if arriving late on the eve of a day when their office is closed - except for those competent with electronic reporting, or trusting to do it by mail (and the post office being open).

It is within 24 hours of arrival at your residence not in the country.

56 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Bureaucratic lunacy at its worst.

I thought it was far worse when I lived in Portugal before moving here. Talk about a retarded country! It's been 5 years and I'm still waiting for my Portuguese driver's license that they are supposed to give you in return for my American one. Whenever I inquire from time to time, I'm told that it takes time. It took me maybe an hour here and that was because I had to take 2 tests, one on the scooter, one for the car.

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Been that way at CW for a long time now. That is why they stop issuing queue numbers at 15:30.

I think you will find that many immigration offices will continue to work after 4:30 if they still have people being served.

Edit: And now a off topic post about airport immigration has been removed.

Yes, in my experience, most offices keep working when they still have people to serve. Mind you, you may need assistance with 'overtime' because I'm sure the department does not pay them overtime.

13 minutes ago, Patanawet said:

Does anyone know how this affects P.R. holders.

No it does not since TM30 reporting is only for those on a temporary permit to stay. Same for 90 day reporting and etc.

6 hours ago, jumbo said:

Maybe time for some to buy a laptop and PC and step into the 21st century

Thai immigration offices are far detached from the 21st century, so it would not make sense for the"some" to buy a laptop or PC.