Free trade in marijuana will do more bad than good, warns academic

rooster59

Free trade in marijuana will do more bad than good, warns academic

By Chularat Saengpassa
The Nation

800_c7012d98207b811.jpg

A prominent medical lecturer recently voiced concerns about Thailand moving closer to free trade in marijuana now that Bhumjaithai Party leader Anutin Charnvirakul has officially taken the helm of the Public Health Ministry and is vowing to implement his election policy of allowing free trade in pot.

Anutin has already said he will initially allow each village health volunteer to grow six cannabis plants. 

However, Asst Professor Dr Thira Woratanarat asked in a Facebook post: “Will this do more harm than good?” 

The lecturer at Chulalongkorn University’s Faculty of Medicine said he did not know if the aforementioned policy was to win a share in the marijuana market, adding that he has information on hand about the impact free-trade in marijuana has had on the US state of Colorado. 

“For every dollar the state earns from marijuana tax, Colorado residents pay $4.5 [Bt138.5] to solve problems from marijuana,” Thira added. 

He said findings also revealed that many students dropped out of school because of addiction to marijuana and that many people also developed health problems from the consumption of pot. Thira also underlined the fact that recreational consumption of pot may encourage addiction.

Thira.jpg

Dr Thira

“What is worse is that research has suggested that marijuana can lead to the use of other narcotics,” he warned. 

Thira also does not have much hope that marijuana will really help patients battling with diseases or lighten the workload of medical workers, despite the hope and confidence expressed by many health professionals. 

He also sarcastically indicated that maybe some people are trying to portray marijuana as a good thing because they want to camouflage their own addiction, adding that every year at least 15 fires in Colorado are caused by potheads. 

“Research has also noted that people who start using marijuana before turning 18 have poor memory,” he added.

In Colorado, per person health cost of excessive marijuana users stands at $2,200 per year, $1,250 for moderate consumers and $650 for light consumers. 

Thira said the consumption of marijuana cannot be considered a personal matter. “About 27 per cent of marijuana users in Colorado admit being in a dream-like state while driving. What if that results in accidents?” he asked.

Anutin.jpg

Anutin

He said over all Colorado generates about $1.4 billion from the trade of marijuana. “But if you take into account the increase in income tax and land taxes, then the state only actually earns $400 million, while the damage from marijuana is in the tune of over $1.1 billion,” he added. 

Hence, he said, Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha should take these findings into consideration before deciding to allow free trade in marijuana.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30373287

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand  2019-07-20

All the problems mentioned above, except maybe leading to addiction of other drugs, can be said about alcohol. And he totally avoids the one obvious advantage which is bypassing the traffickers and dealers who are getting rich from 'illegal' drugs and bringing violence to their dealings. 

25 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

What if that results in (road) accidents?” he asked.

Where has he been living? 

37 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

many people also developed health problems from the consumption of pot.

Not near as many chronic health problems as they develop from driving on Thai roads!

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

“About 27 per cent of marijuana users in Colorado admit being in a dream-like state while driving. What if that results in accidents?” he asked.

About 95 per cent of road users in Thailand appear to be in a dream-like state while driving.

What if that results in accidents?” he asked.

I would like to see the sources for the good doctor's "fuzzy" facts. I don't believe that Colorado spends 4 times more for "pot problems" than what's taken in from taxes. I don't believe kids are dropping out of school because of pot addiction ( a recent independent study I read said that pot use among high school students has declined ). Regarding loss of memory amongst those who started smoking before 18....uh, I forgot what I was going to say. I don't even understand how he is trying to link income and property taxes to pot use ( I think he's in some dream-like state ). This doctor has had an agenda of his own all along. Probably was exposed to the film Reefer Madness at a young age.

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

adding that he has information on hand about the impact free-trade in marijuana has had on the US state of Colorado. 

Here I am high up in Colorado looking at Denver. We like to visit this state when possible and the local news sure puts out different information than what the professor had on hand.

Denver.JPG

This man is delusional. What he is not taking into account, is the fact that anyone who wants to buy it, can do so now. Not a difficult thing to do. He is insisting that by making it legal, more people will use it. I think the opposite. By making drugs legal, you are taking away the primary allure, of illicit activity. I support legalizing all drugs from heroin, right down to ganga. Worldwide. Think of the reduction of crime and especially violent crime, when you eliminate both the gangs and cartels, and the need for people to source the drugs from shady characters on the streets. Buying all drugs online is the way to go. The war on drugs failed a long time ago. Let it go. In the US nearly a million prisoners are locked up due to drug offenses. Sure, it benefits the private prison industry, which are huge contributors to both the dems and the GOP. Cant say no to all that money, right guys? 

16 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

This man is delusional. What he is not taking into account, is the fact that anyone who wants to buy it, can do so now. Not a difficult thing to do. He is insisting that by making it legal, more people will use it. I think the opposite. By making drugs legal, you are taking away the primary allure, of illicit activity. I support legalizing all drugs from heroin, right down to ganga. Worldwide. Think of the reduction of crime and especially violent crime, when you eliminate both the gangs and cartels, and the need for people to source the drugs from shady characters on the streets. Buying all drugs online is the way to go. The war on drugs failed a long time ago. Let it go. In the US nearly a million prisoners are locked up due to drug offenses. Sure, it benefits the private prison industry, which are huge contributors to both the dems and the GOP. Cant say no to all that money, right guys? 

I wouldn't go so far as legalizing all drugs, and I've used almost all at one time in my life or another, but all illegal drug use by individuals should be decriminalized! Weed is harmless and should be available freely. I can see some benefits from legalizing all drugs, such as quality control. Sometimes the sh*t the drug is cut with is far more harmful than the drug itself. Emptying the prisons of people who really don't pose a threat to society is another. Even drugs like heroin, although I don't recommend it, could be used with little risk under the proper conditions. But I think some drugs do fry your brain and cause irrevocable damage.

the bit about driving is hilarious

I thought it was the only point at which he approached something resembling reality. Driving while high seems more or less safe while you're doing it, and I suppose it might be for short trips. But on the other hand pot makes you drowsy, which isn't generally considered good for driving...

The most addicting drugs worldwide are alcohol and tobacco. How many people die every day of these drugs? All governments make too much money on taxation on alcohol and tobacco, so please don't stop smoking or drinking!

Nobody EVER died of weed, and any other drug (heroin, yaa baa, etc) just have a couple of deaths, compared with alcohol and tobacco. Stop being so hypocrite!

I’m pretty sure his research consisted entirely of watching the movie “Reefer Madness” and a chat with someone in the pharmaceutical industry. 

None of the “facts” he mentioned have any basis in reality. 

Every country and state that has legalized or decriminalized has lower incidence of use by adolescents. 

The gateway myth has been debunked by multiple studies. 

The biggest cost associated with cannabis use is law enforcement and legal expenses paid by the users who are arrested. 

If they really cared about health problems associated with smoking they should get rid of the prohibition of vaporizers that only exist to protect the country’s revenue stream they have from selling tobacco, something they have a monopoly on. 

28 minutes ago, justin case said:

check if he is on the payroll of big pharma ...

I just finished checking and found that he is a Doctor and a leading medical lecturer at a major university so he is definitely on the take from big phase.

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

“What is worse is that research has suggested that marijuana can lead to the use of other narcotics,” he warned. 

I can show a direct correlation between milk consumption by children and the eventual use of "other narcotics."  :whistling:

We've heard this side of the argument by the pro-prohibition crowd for many decades now.  It's a stale argument and implies and secondary agenda by those who promote it.

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Thira said the consumption of marijuana cannot be considered a personal matter. “About 27 per cent of marijuana users in Colorado admit being in a dream-like state while driving. What if that results in accidents?”

How do you explain Thailand being at the top of the World's Most Dangerous Road?  Is everyone "in a dream-like state?"  Honestly, it can't get any worse.  Use the same argument for alcohol - now - shouldn't alcohol be banned?  Should not alcohol be subject to restrictions on "Free Trade?"  

I detest hypocrisy as well as loath hypocrites.  

5 hours ago, nickstav said:

I wouldn't go so far as legalizing all drugs, and I've used almost all at one time in my life or another, but all illegal drug use by individuals should be decriminalized! Weed is harmless and should be available freely. I can see some benefits from legalizing all drugs, such as quality control. Sometimes the sh*t the drug is cut with is far more harmful than the drug itself. Emptying the prisons of people who really don't pose a threat to society is another. Even drugs like heroin, although I don't recommend it, could be used with little risk under the proper conditions. But I think some drugs do fry your brain and cause irrevocable damage.

Thank you. A voice of reason, in the wilderness of the war on drugs. Such nonsense. Such an utter failure. The war on drugs and the DEA, are really the best argument one can make, that the federal government is the enemy of the people. It is a lost cause. Give it up, release the million people in the US that have been convicted of drug charges immediately, and at least make an attempt to normalize American society, which may be broken beyond repair. 

Then we can make an attempt to criminalize the private prison industry, and lock up the executives responsible for them, and their lobbyists too. And perhaps even the congressmen and senators who took their money, and helped them to gain control of the private prison industry. That would be a real expression of draining the swamp, and not just a clever campaign slogan that meant absolutely nothing. 

Here in Thailand the police have been making a vast fortune on arresting tourists with possession of as little as one joint. It is beyond ridiculous, and by depriving the franchisees (RTP) of that fringe benefit, you are improving Thai society overnight. 

Thira needs to broaden the topics of what he reads. Another Thai "academic" who has read a half a dozen reports looking for reasons not to approve something.

What if that results in accidents? Has anyone broken the bad news about whisky and beer to him?

You've got to be prepared as a doctor to do trial and error, and personalised medicine, to find the particular strain and the family that suits that person and that condition.

About 70% of people trying it will be helped either a little or a lot. 25 % can significantly reduce their #opiods dose

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/medical-cannabis-remarkably-useful-drug

“For every dollar the state earns from marijuana tax, Colorado residents pay $4.5 [Bt138.5] to solve problems from marijuana,” Thira added. 

"He said findings also revealed that many students dropped out of school because of addiction to marijuana..."

What is his source for the first statement? What does he consider a "problem"? Obviously not hospitalization, since there is no universal healthcare in Colorado. Not violence. Since the number of crimes committed to get money to pay for marijuana, hovers around zero. Not gang related activities. Since since marijuana is legal.

Marijuana is not addictive. There are no withdrawal symptoms. One does not need to increase "dosage" in order to experience the same effects.  

Sounds like he got his information from Somchai, the "village know it all idiot", and not from any reputable scientific publication.

IMO, that's nonsense! That's the old story that isn't true that people first start to take soft drugs and then they must take harder drugs. It's just not true.

People who smoke pot hate junkies or those who are addicted to hard drugs. 

Holland and Portugal seem to be best examples that that isn't true.

Thailand isn't amazing anymore, but it's incredible that these "Know it all guys," also called experts, finally know nothing. 

Once the pot isn't sold by "drug dealers" who often also sell other drugs, or at least know where to get it,  people do not have to go to a drug scene where also other drugs might be available. 

An example coming from America doesn't mean much to me. I don't believe these numbers how pot is damaging people. America classified pot as a class A drug which is insane.

America seems to be the country that has the say what's considered a drug and what not? 

Nobody has ever died because of pot, or Hashish. They even made studies to find out if Cannabis could kill and in theory yes, it could.

But one person would have to smoke 600 grams of hand-rolled Afghani within 10 minutes to die.

Of course, is that not possible. Another horror story is when people drive vehicles under the influence of pot. 

These people usually driver slowly and more careful than people under the influence of alcohol. I'd prefer to have people on Thailand's roads who smoked some pot than those who are drunk. 

If farmers can make more money by growing pot, it's great. 

My parents in law are poor farmers and growing rice once a year won't change anything in the future.

Even when the wannabe politicians talk about helping them, it will never happen that they have enough money to live a good, or better life.

Even farmers in the Philippines are wealthier than the farmers in Thailand while the Philippines is way weaker/poorer than Thailand. It's really time for a change. 

21 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Same as most illegal drugs, apart from heroin.

Do you really want to tell me that speed, cocaine and other drugs are not addictive?

These drugs ruin millions of people on daily basis and speed seems to be the number one problem in this world. 

Archived