I'm DONE with these VISA policies!!! CEBU here I come!!

25 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:

Once the OP makes his move to Cebu, I hope he'll report here about what he finds and encounters, either in this thread, or in the long PH/CEBU thread that's been running here lately...

Without doubt, the visa situation in the Phils is far easier, and probably there's a better level of EN spoken overall, which can make things easier on expats.

But on the other hand, some of the biggest negatives/risks that emerged from the PH/Cebu thread were that the quality of medical care in the PH is nowhere close to that that's available in Thailand, and even the PH supporters living there were advising to leave and travel to TH or HK should anything serious arise...  And that becomes a bigger issue as folks get older.

That and, the quality and range of availability of housing there seems to be lesser than in Thailand, meaning that for a similar amount of money, you'd probably likely end up with a smaller and more sparsely furnished accommodation there than you might find in Thailand.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Weren't you publicly contemplating having to move back to the U.S. here, not too long back, in the wake of the announcement about the government planning to make health insurance a requirement for O-A visas and who knows what else in the future?

I was worried about mandatory insurance kicking me out of Thailand.  However the mandatory insurance for retirement extensions turned out to be scam and of no consequence right now.  Perhaps at some time in the future.  I did some thoughtful planning though and am thinking of getting different insurance coverage than I have now if I can separate the con artists from the good insurance salesmen.  

7 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

I seem to remember the OP stating how wonderful Nana was on returning from abroad, and something about Phuket's bar scene being fabulous.

But the paperwork has become too difficult to keep this lifestyle up.

Mind the door don't hit your arse on the way out.

You took the words right out of my mouth!

22 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I was worried about mandatory insurance kicking me out of Thailand.  However the mandatory insurance for retirement extensions turned out to be scam and of no consequence right now.  Perhaps at some time in the future.  I did some thoughtful planning though and am thinking of getting different insurance coverage than I have now if I can separate the con artists from the good insurance salesmen.  

Yes.... the insurance requirement for O-A visas MAY be coming.... but no sign that they're planning to extend that to regular retirement extensions, at least not for the time being. (Though the new requirement to keep 400K in the bank year-round was another nice little Christmas present from the government here...)

But the point being nonetheless, it could be very easy for almost any of us here to find ourselves being turfed out depending on what kind of new and future rule changes the government might come up with next.

So I always keep that fact in mind before I start popping off at other posters who are complaining that their particular situation has become untenable for whatever reasons. Because you never know when you might be the next poster in line having to ask for advice about relocation or repatriation.

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yes.... the insurance requirement for O-A visas MAY be coming.... but no sign that they're planning to extend that to regular retirement extensions, at least not for the time being. (Though the new requirement to keep 400K in the bank year-round was another nice little Christmas present from the government here...)

But the point being nonetheless, it could be very easy for almost any of us here to find ourselves being turfed out depending on what kind of new and future rule changes the government might come up with next.

So I always keep that fact in mind before I start popping off at other posters who are complaining that their particular situation has become untenable for whatever reasons. Because you never know when you might be the next poster in line having to ask for advice about relocation or repatriation.

Since the great majority if your posts are negative about Thailand I doubt that will be a problem.  Unless I've got the wrong guy.  

3 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Since the great majority if your posts are negative about Thailand I doubt that will be a problem.  Unless I've got the wrong guy.  

I'm negative when it deserves it. Positive when it doesn't. But I believe in calling stupid stupid, and incompetent incompetent, and not sugar-coating it or ignoring it, (especially when people routinely are dying as a result).

There's a lot of that going around (and no, I'm not talking about you or other posters here). I'm talking about those in charge.

So here I am in Cebu.

Day 2 and it is 10 o'clock in the morning.

I am currently in the police station filing a report about being mugged last night , my first here in Cebu city . I'll be setting up a go fund me page and as soon as I have the funds I will return to Thailand.

25 minutes ago, Denim said:

So here I am in Cebu.

Day 2 and it is 10 o'clock in the morning.

I am currently in the police station filing a report about being mugged last night , my first here in Cebu city . I'll be setting up a go fund me page and as soon as I have the funds I will return to Thailand.

Are you joking or serious?

Bingo.
Thank you!

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If i had a dollar for every time I heard that statement!

I'm sick to the back teeth of it! just because this is thailand is no excuse for governmental incompetence! It's about time Thailand came into the 21st century.
Wait until you have to deal with PI govt depts !

You haven't replied to several questions about what 12 month visa you got ..
Not 13a , not 13b .. not retirement ,as you need to deposit 20k USD in a PI bank ..
So maybe some 12 month tourist visa ?
If so .. you will still have report to BI after 30 days ( 3000 peso ) for a 60 day extension .. on your next report you will have to apply for an ACR1 card ( 10k peso Inc the extension ) ..you need to ACR to open a bank account.
Extensions are 60 day/ 3000p ,and 6 monthly/ 9000p , but u can only get 2 x 6 months in a 3 year period.

Lived in Cebu for 4 years , and still go at least once a year for a few weeks.
You might be in for a bit of a shock .. Paradise it ain't !
The girl you describe ..would be horrified and embarrassed to be seen with an old foreigner ..so hopefully you're a hot looking young hunk. ( With money! )..or Korean.

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, gusincebu said:

not retirement ,as you need to deposit 20k USD in a PI bank

I don't claim to know much about the P.I. (as I have never lived there) but this is what I found for retirement visas there:

SRRV (10k USD deposit for 50 and above with a pension of at least $800.00 per month) or 20K deposit without a pension.

or

SRRV for Veterans is only $1,500.00 bank deposit (with a pension of $1000.00 or more)

13 hours ago, kellersphuket said:

shes younger and hotter than my ex wife. makes my ex look like a sack o spuds!

You put ex wife photo in the profile circle? 

We will miss you so much.

Good luck.

I bought the Elite Visa. Got it last week. Then I flew my girlfriend here from Cebu, Philippines who competes in fitness/bikini pageants. She is with me now in my condo in Pratumnak overlooking the ocean. You couldn't pay me enough to go back to Angeles City, Cebu or Manila (I lived in all of them.) Rarely in these discussions do I see anyone talking about quality of life, restaurants, medical care, gyms, internet, things to do besides banging bargirls, etc. Thailand has its issues but if you are spending money, it offers a great quality of life and great value. And you can have money and feel safe. 

I don't claim to know much about the P.I. (as I have never lived there) but this is what I found for retirement visas there:

SRRV (10k USD deposit for 50 and above with a pension of at least $800.00 per month) or 20K deposit without a pension.
or
SRRV for Veterans is only $1,500.00 bank deposit (with a pension of $1000.00 or more)
You realize that deposit is there for the life of the visa ,basically untouchable .( Not like the Thai version)
The veterans .. refers to ex military vets and only from countries that have a military relationship with PI .

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, highland66 said:

I bought the Elite Visa. Got it last week. Then I flew my girlfriend here from Cebu, Philippines who competes in fitness/bikini pageants. She is with me now in my condo in Pratumnak overlooking the ocean. You couldn't pay me enough to go back to Angeles City, Cebu or Manila (I lived in all of them.) Rarely in these discussions do I see anyone talking about quality of life, restaurants, medical care, gyms, internet, things to do besides banging bargirls, etc. Thailand has its issues but if you are spending money, it offers a great quality of life and great value. And you can have money and feel safe. 

I know a lot of people from PI and they all come to Thailand to work and live and raise a family here as it is a far better choice for many things including raising a family and providing medical care for that family.  They are all in agreement that the food and job opportunities and health care and Internet are far superior.  

Is it easy for your girlfriend to stay longterm with you in Thailand?

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Is it easy for your girlfriend to stay longterm with you in Thailand?

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The Philippines is part of the ASEAN treaty in Southeast Asia, and my girlfriend was told by immigration that she is welcome here. I think it is the best of both worlds to have the right Filipina with you in Thailand. 

The Philippines is part of the ASEAN treaty in Southeast Asia, and my girlfriend was told by immigration that she is welcome here. I think it is the best of both worlds to have the right Filipina with you in Thailand. 

You might want to check that. My wife is Laotian and requires a visa to stay here. She won't be able to stay indefinitely and should make sure she doesn't overstay her permission to stay.

Edit: Philippines citizens get 30 days visa exempt entry by air.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, possum1931 said:
On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 12:39 PM, Just Weird said:

That's not Thailand's fault!

Oh yes it is, 

What?

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 8:29 AM, transam said:

Some folk live nowhere near an immigration office...

I replied to transam's post, "That's not Thailand's fault!" and it is not "Thailand's" fault where some people choose to live!

16 hours ago, highland66 said:

All of the people I know from PI have to have a work permit and visa to stay.  I'd check if I were you cause someone is feeding you a line.  

3 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

All of the people I know from PI have to have a work permit and visa to stay.  I'd check if I were you cause someone is feeding you a line.  

ASEAN offers visa-free travel for its members within ASEAN. Other than that, no special treatment when it comes to staying in any particular country not their own.

Stunning coastline, but despite how straightforward and hassle-free obtaining visas & whatnot in Thailand is (according to various expats), I'd take that bs over the blatant corruption that exists in the PI... for instance, having to bribe a mechanic to put oil in your vehicle even though you already paid, etc. :unsure: No thanks.

Don't blame you though, op. Good luck. 

On 7/20/2019 at 4:18 PM, marcusarelus said:

Just you.  I don't do 90 day reports and have never done a TM30 as I'm sure most ex pats have not.  I'd think you're reflecting a personal problem.  Have you ever been stopped for drunk driving or had an issue with not showing respect to Immigration officers?  Just asking......

Every law abiding foreigner on one year visa extensions do 90 day reports and now TM forms.  You sound like a very special person doing one year extensions in 12 minutes and not having to comply with immigrations rules and regulations.  Good for you for beating the system.  Maybe you will share how you aren't required to comply with the 90 day and TM form requirements or your secrete in beating the system ????

I went to Cambodia with Thai wife. I was given 60 days visa while hers was free but only 15 days.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

My wife's family are Lao. They get visa-exempt entry but only for 30 days. It does seem however that they are allowed unlimited land border hops, so can pretty much stay here indefinitely.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived