Nigerian arrested for cheating people out of Bt370m

rooster59

19 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

With 370m in his pocket he must be the prince of Nigerian thieves????

Yes, he is a Nigerian Prince, but his millions are tied up in an international bank and he can't get access to the money to claim his crown. Now, if you just send him 10 million Baht, so he can pay the bank fees owed, he will send you back 100 million as a royal thank you.

20 hours ago, the guest said:

Nigerians (in most cases) are bad news. They are famous for scamming people, and are natural deviants. Better for Thailand just to stop people coming in from this country, too much hassle.

Is that not the reason they feel so comfortable here and continue to come in numbers?

On 7/20/2019 at 7:46 AM, rooster59 said:

A Nigerian man has been arrested for allegedly deceiving customers of a firm to wire him and his accomplices up to Bt370 million.

Would have thought that would have got him a better poster than that one.

On 7/20/2019 at 11:26 AM, poohy said:

Bugger! i have just sent this guy a cheque to help him send 120 000USD to me from his dead uncle !! 

Don't worry about a thing. PM me your bank details and passwords and I'll have it sorted out for you in a jiffy...

Of course, being in a mega-corrupt country, it can be no surprise such a despicable, criminal individual was able to stay in the country for about 15 years(!!!), until a new passport 'technicality' got him arrested, ...at last.

As if NOBODY, in all that time, knew anything, saw anything..., not that hard actually when being paid(!!!) to look away!

Of course, it's easier to catch hundreds of Burmese, and other, 'aliens'(sic!) and kick them out, BUT, not arresting and jail ANY of the THAIS having organised their stay and profitted from it, may they be the ones bringing them in, having them work for them in horrible circumstances, ...and, and, the Immigration Police, the Local Police, etc., saluting, with the right hand forward, to collect the brown envelopes.

Eradicating corruption a mega, huge, practically impossible task for several generations to come (when the will would truly be there), IMO, whatever this or that (ex-)general might blah-blah about, BUT, for a start, could the huge HYPOCRISY about it all be reduced, let's dream, stopped?

And not selfishly commenting on, the life of 'Farangs', legitimately(!) staying here, decent individuals, with financial means, spending a lot, often sustaining a whole local family, ...and nothing to be reproached (according to the ever changing 'rules', varying from one Immigration zone to another!), how their life is, systematically(!), made difficult...

In fact, that high IP officer who, cornered in a heavy conversation, told the Farangs should stay away, but go on sending their money... And that, IMO, is the 'real Thailand'!

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

didn't the firm get suspicious when they asked him where he was from ??? 

They forged the firm's email, there is no way they would know.  Customers probably thought they were sending to the firm but were scammed.  This is why cybersecurity, cross border payments, and blockchain may be of use in the future.

On 7/20/2019 at 8:18 AM, Badbanker said:

He was bright and smart as he left Thailand illegally through a land border and went back to Nigeria.  Probably spent all the money!  From there he acquired a new identity and came back to Thailand for round 2 as many do.

He was caught because the new biometric system found his new identity and attached it to his real original ID and picture!

Sadly we have to put up with the extra time the new system requires to gain entry.  We can be glad however, that many not so good people will be caught!

The new fingerprint and biometric entry system is going to catch many more in the coming months

I haven't seen any of this information that you have mentioned in the links or the news?

Especially about him leaving through a land border and returning or are you surmising this is what must have happened?

Did the bio metrics system catch him, or did he get lazy, become complacent and acquire a fake passport whilst remaining in the country? I don't know, just guessing. The Immigration police seem to be putting a lot down to bio metrics but so far we are saying people with ' fake ' passports getting caught, and others that are walking into immigration seeking extensions.

I also didn't understand that her has been on the run since 2005 but a warrant was not issued until 2011, then his accomplices were caught in 2015, but he wasn't until 2019? it is a confusing story.

How can bio metrics link him if it has only just been rolled out this year? I am genuinely confused.

Archived