Wanting to upgrade computer to SSD, any recommended shops / technicians in chiang mai for this work?

wisemonkey

It's a very simple job that any shop should be able to do. But will they do it properly and not mess it up?

I would do it myself. Even for an unskilled person it is easy IF they can follow simple instructions.

About any shop should be able to do it. But i would always be a bit worried to leave my data with them.

It's easy to this yourself.

I would recommend you just buy an SSD and an external case for your existing hard drive.

Then just swap the HDD with the SSD, install windows on the SSD.

Put the HDD in the external case, and copy any existing data as needed.

7 minutes ago, jackdd said:

About any shop should be able to do it. But i would always be a bit worried to leave my data with them.

It's easy to this yourself.

I would recommend you just buy an SSD and an external case for your existing hard drive.

Then just swap the HDD with the SSD, install windows on the SSD.

Put the HDD in the external case, and copy any existing data as needed.

This might be the way that you do it if it is a laptop.

With a PC, dependent on the design, you can leave the original HDD on-board as extra storage.

So, no need to purchase an external casing for the HDD.

11 minutes ago, OneZero said:

Computer shops NW side of Mat.  Maninoppharat Rd.

Pardon my ignorance but what is changing from HDD to SSD exactly, & how does it help (ie, is it really worth doing)?

It is most definitely worth the doing, for anyone who is still using an old spinning disc as their main drive.

Here are four examples of the same laptop; 

The two example at the bottom are fitted with solid state drives.

You need to actually watch the video to make sense of it. So click on the play button to do so.

wisemonkey ????

If you can tell us something about your PC, we may be able to guide you through doing it yourself.

With certain devices it can be a 30 minute job, including a clean install of the operating system.

But you need to prepare everything in advance. 

This kind of job should really be done yourself. As you can ensure that everything is done cleanly. So you know, within reason, exactly what is running on your PC.

Be aware if DIY that there can indeed be issues when not installing Windows (doing clone process).  Although my computer can up fine on the cloned to SSD it continually had 60 second or more lockup of display when there was SSD access for no apparent reason.  Many tips available to cure but none worked.  Believe fresh install might have solved but would have lost software.  After few months went back to using original HDD.  Am sure a more tech savvy person may have been able to fix but I do have some experience and tried everything mentioned on web that I could find (and not registry based). 

But yes it very nice to have almost instant boot and faster access loading programs that the SSD provides. 

11 minutes ago, silverhawk_usa said:

The OP asked "where" not "what is your opinion".    Excellent service from the small shop, BEFIXED, at Romchok.  Located up the stairs near RimPing across from the PEA Office.  Very inexpensive also.

...and we all still think that he should do it himself. But if somehow he cannot complete it, at least there is a fallback option.

He didn't ask you to comment on others opinions...but you did anyway.

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Be aware if DIY that there can indeed be issues when not installing Windows (doing clone process).  Although my computer can up fine on the cloned to SSD it continually had 60 second or more lockup of display when there was SSD access for no apparent reason.  Many tips available to cure but none worked.  Believe fresh install might have solved but would have lost software.  After few months went back to using original HDD.  Am sure a more tech savvy person may have been able to fix but I do have some experience and tried everything mentioned on web that I could find (and not registry based). 

But yes it very nice to have almost instant boot and faster access loading programs that the SSD provides. 

Is English not your first language? That was a horrible read. Got there after reading it three times.

How exactly can one use 'lose software'? Rarely have a come across a situation where I couldn't find the original installer.

I would always start with a clean install to SSD and then pick and choose what I want to move over to the Boot drive, rather than dragging over all of the carp of an old install.

You paid for your laziness. Take the time to do a job properly and you don't suffer for months before deciding to revert back to an old HDD.

Thanks, some great info on this thread, I used BEFIXED before, I didnt know he did computer upgrades, Ill speak to him if he does it will use him for sure. The SSD is now the best upgrade for a comp even over RAM now, the speed and overall performance improvement is best bang for your buck over any other upgrade, check out the vids posted in this thread for comparison of before and after. With the amount of time I/we spend on the computer these days , should be using the best we can get as well.

33 minutes ago, silverhawk_usa said:

The OP asked "where" not "what is your opinion".    Excellent service from the small shop, BEFIXED, at Romchok.  Located up the stairs near RimPing across from the PEA Office.  Very inexpensive also.

+ 1 a very good guy,speaks English so that maybe a help for you.

regards Worgeordie   P.S. he does not open till 10.00 so don't go to soon.

OP, there are some great Sata docks out there that make the process very easy to do yourself.  But a 2 bay sata dock that does cloneing and literally put old drive and new drive, press a single button and it will clone drive 1 to drive 2, doesnt even need to be plugged in to a PC. I have an Orico Unit from JIB and have used it to clone windows, linix etc.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/orico-25-35-usb30-esata-dock-1-1-clone-8628sus3-c-i354366149-s694208628.html?ef_id=Cj0KCQjw1MXpBRDjARIsAHtdN-188QlohbVpjf6YYjzWQ_t3copzdRfxaQ0aeGw4BX1ey-TLQUsBMSMaAh_TEALw_wcB:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!3152!3!286179630377!!!u!296030489971!&exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:1498579383!58089999096!!!pla-296030489971!c!296030489971!694208628!137117563&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1MXpBRDjARIsAHtdN-188QlohbVpjf6YYjzWQ_t3copzdRfxaQ0aeGw4BX1ey-TLQUsBMSMaAh_TEALw_wcB

Goodspeed Computers at Computer Plaza on the moat:  https://goo.gl/maps/xSfPcXSf1mYaHXuw9  It's the last shop on the left inside the main building and they have at least two people who can work in English.  Used them for over ten years and never had an issue.  Prices not always quoted as the cheapest for hardware but will generally match JIB if you point out the difference.

They'll supply the SSD and install it for you.

Two tips:  Don't get an SSD of less than 125Gb even if you plan to have two drives in your PC.  A good configuration is an SSD with Windows and some essential bits it seems it can't do without and an HD for programs and data.

On 7/20/2019 at 9:08 AM, silverhawk_usa said:

I had excellent experience with BEFIXED , Khun Oh . Speaks reasonable English. Phone number 081 783 5920 email: [email protected] 

On 7/20/2019 at 11:46 AM, steven2018 said:

I have used Samsung EVO SSDs - they came with migration software - easy peasy.

Yep, this exactly. I have Samsung EVO SSD upgrades in my Playstation 4 Pro as well as a Samsung T5 External SSD drive, which is amazing. The T5 is 2TB and only slightly larger than a credit card. 

And my Mac is also SSD. 

Booting, loading times, and read/write (download) times are exponentially faster. 

BUT (and this is a VERY big but) you have to make sure your devices are SATA III to take advantage of the speeds that SSD's can use. Older devices are SATA II and SATA I and wont have much of a difference, and definitely not worth the upgrade due to the cost of SSD's here in Thailand. 

The SSD is formatted. Plug the SATA end to the SSD, and the USB to the computer (in my case a Windows tablet) and it becomes an external drive. Downloaded encrypted cloud storage files to it.

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

Thanks. Now I know how to use a drive and keep it unused thus saving it like new while using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update here. I followed the advice of some posters on the thread about it being easy to do yourself, and they were right very easy, Im pretty ignorant when it comes to this stuff but watched a youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H7D1HcfY9o) and it pretty much guides you through the whole process.

I bought SSD from lazada.

Plugged it into the desktop in a spare compartment. 

Clone the existing Operating system over to the new SSD (simple matter of getting the free software Macrium Reflect) all done in a few clicks. 

Change your boot drive to the new SSD.

Thats all there is to it, now my computer is booting up lightning fast compared to what it was before, probably 3 times quicker, everything feels a lot more responsive. 

So many SSDs to choose from these days, the old SATA SSD are many times slower than the latest new form factor types.

Also depends on the Bus speed of the computer. A fast SSD is not going to break speed records on a computer with a slow Bus.

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

Archived