baby bird

Got one of those little magpie like birds nesting in the corner of the gararage.

Found a chick on the floor so put it back in the nest still alive and looking ok.

Couple of hours later found it dead on the floor. Remaing chick seems to be ok.

Does the mother throw one out to keep just one alive or what?

We've had variable success putting fallen babies back. The little sparrow chaps seem to accept the returnee despite attacking me when I'm actually putting it back (ever been attacked by a killer sparrow? They may only be small ...). Bigger birds seem less accomodating.

47 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Probably the Mother smells you and rejects the chick?  I have put chicks back too but they rarely survive - but what choice?  do what you can and handle only swiftly.

Did our best not to touch it. Gently pushed into a plastic bowl and put back gently as well.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

We've had variable success putting fallen babies back. The little sparrow chaps seem to accept the returnee despite attacking me when I'm actually putting it back (ever been attacked by a killer sparrow? They may only be small ...). Bigger birds seem less accomodating.

Funniest I've seen was our dog being mobbed by oxpeckers, about 6 of them, when she decided to sniff a chick that had landed on the grass.

40+ kilo of dog hiding behind me.

Edit.

Just read my OP.

Can't figure out what a gararage is. ????????

Archived