Phuket: Tourist stabbed in the neck - it was something he said

rooster59

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

His face was a picture of stress, reported Daily News, as he was led away to the cells on a charge of attempted murder. 

The other guy's face probably looks like a crime scene but oh let's spare a thought for the poor unhinged murderer! STRESS! Oh no! ????

Something stirs in my crystal ball...... I see a wai, 500 baht fine, obligatory visit by tourism officials to the hospital for a photo op and everything understood as a misunderstanding. 

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

Rather extreme reaction,that said Egyptians do not have the greatest reputation when it comes to respecting women.

Well, Egyptian parliament did have debate regarding how long a husband could have "farewell intercourse" with a dead wife...

I don't wish to appear racist, or too stupid, but am I not right in believing that roti sellers are usually Muslem people?

Maybe the Egyptian spoke Arabic and the Thai husband understood what he said, although it is reported that the Egyptian spoke in English.

If someone spoke to your wife in a specifically offensive manner, would you just let it go?

Maybe there is more to this story.....

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I wonder how proficient the roti seller is in English? What one man says, quite possibly in jest, may have been misunderstood, though it still shows a very fragile ego to subsequently stab someone in the neck over something so minor, especially in front of his kids.

C'mon DSG, it's not that unlikely that the Egyptian used one of a number of well known slang sexual expressions that are understood universally, English or not, that may not have been quite "so minor", as you put it!  

Not only is it never a good idea to speak sexually in jest about another man's wife, it's also incredibly rude, particularly if you don't know them and especially in front of his kids.

4 minutes ago, Bundooman said:

I don't wish to appear racist, or too stupid, but am I not right in believing that roti sellers are usually Muslem people?

Maybe the Egyptian spoke Arabic and the Thai husband understood what he said, although it is reported that the Egyptian spoke in English.

If someone spoke to your wife in a specifically offensive manner, would you just let it go?

As Al Bundy was having an argument on the phone and said, "you can't hurt me by insulting my wife" his wife asks "What did he say Al" Bundy replies, "He didn't say anything about you that I haven't said to your face"

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

This story does not add up to me. An Egyptian tourist deliberately speaking English to a Thai ?

he probably thought he was talking to his wife only but bad luck the seller understood what he said I must mention at this stage Thais have exceptional hearing even Thais make sure they are well away from other Thais when they say something about them

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I wonder how proficient the roti seller is in English? What one man says, quite possibly in jest, may have been misunderstood, though it still shows a very fragile ego to subsequently stab someone in the neck over something so minor, especially in front of his kids.

Half the problems here are caused by EGOs or lack thereof, criticism is not accepted as all thais think they know best. 

Either now there is more reporting of crimes or because of crappy economy locals are snapping more often.

But personally I am still struggling to understand what imbeciles are thinking when they attack with a weapon? So he defended his wife honour and now will be locked up or have to pay a sum which he does not have . So who is the winner ?

56 minutes ago, Bundooman said:

No, I would probably insult him, threaten him, maybe spit his face. But I would NOT stab him in the neck. But hey, that's just me.

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Teach the children young. 

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

soon to be a misunderstanding.

Followed by a Wai....all is forgotten.  Just another lovely day in Thailand.  Normally its a machete wielding Thai lunatic confronting another on a street...just a small knife this time.  Lucky for the tourist that's all that was nearby.

Just now, Colabamumbai said:

Teach the children young. 

About the difference between English language insults and exclamations ? could be confusing.

'<deleted> me'= is an exclamation of surprise, not an insult or an invitation

"<deleted> you"= is an insult

"B0ll0cks"= you are talking rubbish

"It's the dogs b0ll0cks"= that is very good

3 hours ago, gravity101 said:

Reminds me a long time back when I wanted a tow bar fitted to my car, and the fitter wanted to cut a hole in my bumper. I said "<deleted>&$ that". Thinking I was using the f word AT him he proceeding to shove, kick and punch until he was separated from me by his boss. Short fuses + misunderstandings, common.

Quite unbelievable! Why do you think is it called the Land of Smiles? Oops, okay that was more than 20 years ago, okay. I got it. 

5 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Just stab the remaining tourists in the neck and TAT will increase arrivals accordingly the horizontal departures will be adjusted to ????

But please keep smiling while you stick the knife into our necks. Thank you! 

31 minutes ago, oldrunner said:

Why not a good old fashioned punch up (as the brits would say) instead of a 'stab up'. What charge against the Egyptian..talk dirty language. Who spoke what language to whom when,

Three (apparently) of them, one of him.

I hope the Thai gets a ฿500 fine and the Egyptian has to make a public apology.

Archived