Koh Samui: Taxi driver killed, tourists in hospital after accident on "danger hill"

rooster59

20 hours ago, khunPer said:

Traffic-death-stat.thumb.jpg.0827f9dddcc261b357261960717f8a36.jpg

In general taxis on Koh Samui drives too fast for the road conditions – both surface and visibility – when full, and utterly slow, when empty. However, the traffic on the specified hill is sometimes problematic – I know well from years of experience – as others have already described it; sometimes when passing I wonder how that big truck managed to end, as it did, but probably the common "brake failure".

I also wonder how that pole got through the taxi (the body on the road is the taxi driver)...

67384338_591174884744286_8802810591577112576_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_eui2=AeHR_okchcEsZBg99C6paJciQP3yWkdxOGr4K0_Mnz9DWuc3DLGeDxd5tbCD6pi8vBz_zPLvPnfRox5laiz4I6xHsSubHLZVB-DOqEyCH2cJgA&_nc_oc=AQmfoizPF1TVwEaPLZPGTa_E1r5eswdHV6Bt9J12T0M_QzP73q4944yyEX-KR_77380&_nc_ht=scontent.furt1-1.fna&oh=391126348e08277a723bf9d954a76076&oe=5DA5C238

Anyone who has lived on Samui, like I did for many years, knows the figures on the government report, are completely fake. First of all, they do not count fatalities that do not happen on the scene. And those figures are doctored in countless other ways. A friend of mine who worked on Samui Rescue for seven years, speaks fluent Thai, and is one of the few foreigners on the volunteer police in Thailand allowed to carry a firearm, told me the way they calculated the figures were changed a dozen times, to consistently reduce the number of injuries and fatalities reported to the government. He is a very credible source of information.  

The fatalities on Samui are at least double, if not triple, the per capita numbers in the rest of the country. 

23 hours ago, MeePeeMai said:

Downshift and use low gear would be the norm (in a normal society).

You are expecting too much :smile:

Thai drivers and a trivial smooth hill, excellent road condition.

What would happen if you sent them over a real mountain pass?

Is there really not a single speed limit sign over the hill???

I repeatedly drive over a hilly stretch on the way to Udon Thani and that is much more difficult to drive (multiple narrow curves etc.)

And it's plastered with speed limits and "camera" signs.

Though the cameras seem inexistent :smile:

45 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Anyone who has lived on Samui, like I did for many years, knows the figures on the government report, are completely fake. First of all, they do not count fatalities that do not happen on the scene. And those figures are doctored in countless other ways. A friend of mine who worked on Samui Rescue for seven years, speaks fluent Thai, and is one of the few foreigners on the volunteer police in Thailand allowed to carry a firearm, told me the way they calculated the figures were changed a dozen times, to consistently reduce the number of injuries and fatalities reported to the government. He is a very credible source of information.  

The fatalities on Samui are at least double, if not triple, the per capita numbers in the rest of the country. 

wonder if road deaths in iraq related to ied's is included? 

On 7/20/2019 at 10:51 AM, NCC1701A said:

meanwhile in other news:

Carnage on the Thai roads: More than 8,000 dead so far this year

Tourism minister plans to get back the lost Europeans - with MASSAGE and GANJA!

at least they may die happy...

A Thai friend of mine was behind the taxi in his own car. He said that the taxi was really trying hard to overtake another car, obviously going too fast, and that he wasn't the least bit surprised when he lost it. He said that he saw that the driver was obviously dead as he drove by.

47 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

And what if there were? Do you think that would matter one little bit? My impression of the so-called 'rules' regarding driving on Samui is that they are mere suggestions. Nothing matters until you hit something/someone.

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

There is a general speed limit of 60 km/h on the island, and signs with lower limits in certain areas, typically 45 km/h in areas with schools, and 30 km/h in pedestrian areas, and some other city-zone areas with 50 km/h; however speed limits are considered recommended, rather than mandatory.

No sign on that hill, but the general 60 km/h should be valid. Uphill you need a big motor to exceed 60 km/h, downhill you don't need a motor, but rather a gearbox, for not becoming a roller coaster heading for loop.

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Does this rich island not have the money to separate the directions with concrete walls and install rail-guards/walls all along?

Can I presume you that have never been on Koh Samui...????

22 hours ago, khunPer said:

Traffic-death-stat.thumb.jpg.0827f9dddcc261b357261960717f8a36.jpg

In general taxis on Koh Samui drives too fast for the road conditions – both surface and visibility – when full, and utterly slow, when empty. However, the traffic on the specified hill is sometimes problematic – I know well from years of experience – as others have already described it; sometimes when passing I wonder how that big truck managed to end, as it did, but probably the common "brake failure".

I also wonder how that pole got through the taxi (the body on the road is the taxi driver)...

67384338_591174884744286_8802810591577112576_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_eui2=AeHR_okchcEsZBg99C6paJciQP3yWkdxOGr4K0_Mnz9DWuc3DLGeDxd5tbCD6pi8vBz_zPLvPnfRox5laiz4I6xHsSubHLZVB-DOqEyCH2cJgA&_nc_oc=AQmfoizPF1TVwEaPLZPGTa_E1r5eswdHV6Bt9J12T0M_QzP73q4944yyEX-KR_77380&_nc_ht=scontent.furt1-1.fna&oh=391126348e08277a723bf9d954a76076&oe=5DA5C238

The pole is not through the taxi, the rear of the taxi is wrapped around it due to the impact.  Take a look at the photos in the link.

On 7/20/2019 at 10:16 AM, rooster59 said:

Manager said that the hill is one of the largest and most dangerous for drivers in Samui and is the scene of many road accidents.

Because no-one ever learns anything !

6 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

About 20 years ago.

Thanks, Samui has changed a lot since then – you know, folk are leaving because the island is not like "the good old times" about 20 years ago.

Compared to today, there were literally no traffic back then; because there were almost no traffic when I came first time here in 2001, but still numerous accidents, I experienced two fatal traffic victims during my first week.

17 hours ago, khunPer said:

There is a general speed limit of 60 km/h on the island, and signs with lower limits in certain areas, typically 45 km/h in areas with schools, and 30 km/h in pedestrian areas, and some other city-zone areas with 50 km/h; however speed limits are considered recommended, rather than mandatory.

No sign on that hill, but the general 60 km/h should be valid. Uphill you need a big motor to exceed 60 km/h, downhill you don't need a motor, but rather a gearbox, for not becoming a roller coaster heading for loop.

when I first came to Samui I wrongly assumed that if they improve the roads it would improve traffic safety. Given that a lot of fatal accidents seem to happen in the areas where they improved the road I now hope they will not do anymore resurfacing of roads....    That Bantai - Nathon Hill stretch just seems to advertise itself as a race track with the unusual smooth road surface.  What a cash cow speedchecks on that part of the road could be for the Samui BiB.

4 hours ago, huberthammer said:

when I first came to Samui I wrongly assumed that if they improve the roads it would improve traffic safety. Given that a lot of fatal accidents seem to happen in the areas where they improved the road I now hope they will not do anymore resurfacing of roads....    That Bantai - Nathon Hill stretch just seems to advertise itself as a race track with the unusual smooth road surface.  What a cash cow speedchecks on that part of the road could be for the Samui BiB.

Exactly, the more even black tarmac paving increased both speed and numbers of overtaking at even higher speed – the old uneven infamous "black hole" cement roads created their own speed limit; a few are still left, for example the stretch from the Maenam-Bo Phut bend to Fisherman Village.

10 minutes ago, khunPer said:

the stretch from the Maenam-Bo Phut bend to Fisherman Village.

And that is going to be new tarmac fairly soon, it looks like. They're getting close to finishing the sewage lines and sidewalks on both sides of the road, then the new tarmac will come. I've very curious to see how that's going to effect things. Now, the potholes and such sort of limit the speed, not to mention the mess that the construction itself is creating.

On 7/20/2019 at 2:26 PM, evadgib said:

Several observations from a regular user of that hill:

- Flow of traffic is stifled daily by idiots refusing to use the left lane even when the road is empty.

- Undertaking is rife, indeed I was very nearly clipped by a Black Fortuna a few days ago who simply sped off afterwards. It's so common that I no longer bother to upload the footage despite having front and rear dashcams.

- There are dangerous entrances at the bottom of the hill at both ends. Drivers make no allowance for speed/traffic flow if they wish to use them, they simply turn as if nothing is there. There are two at the top too but they're not quite so bad.

- A lorry will lose it's load there around once per week & be on it's side around once per month.

Pretty accurate summary..but don't forget, this is Thailand. If everything was perfect you wouldn't find Pad Thai for less than $10. I went through there a few days ago with a Hilux and the road infrastructure is more than adequate. I would add to the points above that many vehicles seem not roadworthy. A Thai friend fell of a motorbike there due to oil spillage on the road.

3 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Pretty accurate summary..but don't forget, this is Thailand. If everything was perfect you wouldn't find Pad Thai for less than $10. I went through there a few days ago with a Hilux and the road infrastructure is more than adequate. I would add to the points above that many vehicles seem not roadworthy. A Thai friend fell of a motorbike there due to oil spillage on the road.

I've always wondered why they didn't put heavy-duty rumble strips on the downsides of that hill. They finally did it on the curves between Bang Po and Ban Tai after numerous wipeouts by people taking the curves too fast. Slowed everything down and made the grip better.

3 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

I've always wondered why they didn't put heavy-duty rumble strips on the downsides of that hill. They finally did it on the curves between Bang Po and Ban Tai after numerous wipeouts by people taking the curves too fast. Slowed everything down and made the grip better.

While I was driving there I had a quick look - this section is cyclist unfriendly. No lane to cycle safely. I would say this is the most problematic section for cycling between Chaweng and Nathon. But hey...life is an adventure!

3 minutes ago, gearbox said:

While I was driving there I had a quick look - this section is cyclist unfriendly. No lane to cycle safely. I would say this is the most problematic section for cycling between Chaweng and Nathon. But hey...life is an adventure!

Lane?!?! Since when do the drivers on Samui respect anything to do with lane lines? Like the traffic laws, they're mere suggestions. I'd be scared shitless to ride a bike here.

Cyclists and runners use the hill daily, quite often in dark clothing with little or no florescent gear, lights or thoughts towards their own mortality. The Sun's position during the school run renders them all but invisible.

No need to worry too much about the new speedway sections. (New one being built between Bangrak and Choengmon.)

If previous tarmac is anything to go by, after a couple of monsoon rains we will be back to 'sinking' tarmac and sections disappearing. They are still building on sand.

On 7/20/2019 at 11:26 AM, evadgib said:

- Flow of traffic is stifled daily by idiots refusing to use the left lane even when the road is empty.

- Undertaking is rife, indeed I was very nearly clipped by a Black Fortuna a few days ago who simply sped off afterwards. It's so common that I no longer bother to upload the footage despite having front and rear dashcams. 

- There are dangerous entrances at the bottom of the hill at both ends. Drivers make no allowance for speed/traffic flow if they wish to use them, they simply turn as if nothing is there. There are two at the top too but they're not quite so bad.

- A lorry will lose it's load there around once per week & be on it's side around once per month.

having front and rear dash-cams. thinking of fixing front and end Bazookas

On 7/20/2019 at 11:26 AM, evadgib said:

" - Undertaking is rife, " - Of course! - because of the lack of knowledge of road rules! - - - "KEEP LEFT UNLESS OVERTAKING" is one you'll find in the Thai traffic rules.  Sitting in the right lane, not watching what is happening behind you and being overtaken on the left - - - - - - - Yoiu call - - - - - -

Archived