BANGKOK
rooster59

Koh Samui: Taxi driver killed, tourists in hospital after accident on "danger hill"

Never mind the Taxi driver he is no longer with us what’s the news on the two tourists

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

23 hours ago, MeePeeMai said:

Downshift and use low gear would be the norm (in a normal society).

You are expecting too much :smile:

Thai drivers and a trivial smooth hill, excellent road condition.

What would happen if you sent them over a real mountain pass?

Is there really not a single speed limit sign over the hill???

I repeatedly drive over a hilly stretch on the way to Udon Thani and that is much more difficult to drive (multiple narrow curves etc.)

And it's plastered with speed limits and "camera" signs.

Though the cameras seem inexistent :smile:

Edited by KhunBENQ

Posted (edited)

Does this rich island not have the money to separate the directions with concrete walls and install rail-guards/walls all along?

Edited by KhunBENQ

45 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Anyone who has lived on Samui, like I did for many years, knows the figures on the government report, are completely fake. First of all, they do not count fatalities that do not happen on the scene. And those figures are doctored in countless other ways. A friend of mine who worked on Samui Rescue for seven years, speaks fluent Thai, and is one of the few foreigners on the volunteer police in Thailand allowed to carry a firearm, told me the way they calculated the figures were changed a dozen times, to consistently reduce the number of injuries and fatalities reported to the government. He is a very credible source of information.  

The fatalities on Samui are at least double, if not triple, the per capita numbers in the rest of the country. 

wonder if road deaths in iraq related to ied's is included? 

On 7/20/2019 at 10:51 AM, NCC1701A said:

meanwhile in other news:

Carnage on the Thai roads: More than 8,000 dead so far this year

Tourism minister plans to get back the lost Europeans - with MASSAGE and GANJA!

at least they may die happy...

A Thai friend of mine was behind the taxi in his own car. He said that the taxi was really trying hard to overtake another car, obviously going too fast, and that he wasn't the least bit surprised when he lost it. He said that he saw that the driver was obviously dead as he drove by.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Is there really not a single speed limit sign over the hill???

And what if there were? Do you think that would matter one little bit? My impression of the so-called 'rules' regarding driving on Samui is that they are mere suggestions. Nothing matters until you hit something/someone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Does this rich island not have the money to separate the directions with concrete walls and install rail-guards/walls all along?

Can I presume you that have never been on Koh Samui...🤔

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, khunPer said:

Can I presume you that have never been on Koh Samui...🤔

About 20 years ago.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 12:45 PM, Vacuum said:

Wrapped around!? The pole is sticking out from the car. How tall are these power poles?

562000007103803.JPEG

The back of the taxi is wrapped around the pole, it's not through the car.

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, khunPer said:

Traffic-death-stat.thumb.jpg.0827f9dddcc261b357261960717f8a36.jpg

In general taxis on Koh Samui drives too fast for the road conditions – both surface and visibility – when full, and utterly slow, when empty. However, the traffic on the specified hill is sometimes problematic – I know well from years of experience – as others have already described it; sometimes when passing I wonder how that big truck managed to end, as it did, but probably the common "brake failure".

I also wonder how that pole got through the taxi (the body on the road is the taxi driver)...

67384338_591174884744286_8802810591577112576_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_eui2=AeHR_okchcEsZBg99C6paJciQP3yWkdxOGr4K0_Mnz9DWuc3DLGeDxd5tbCD6pi8vBz_zPLvPnfRox5laiz4I6xHsSubHLZVB-DOqEyCH2cJgA&_nc_oc=AQmfoizPF1TVwEaPLZPGTa_E1r5eswdHV6Bt9J12T0M_QzP73q4944yyEX-KR_77380&_nc_ht=scontent.furt1-1.fna&oh=391126348e08277a723bf9d954a76076&oe=5DA5C238

The pole is not through the taxi, the rear of the taxi is wrapped around it due to the impact.  Take a look at the photos in the link.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:
  22 hours ago, khunPer said:

Traffic-death-stat.thumb.jpg.0827f9dddcc261b357261960717f8a36.jpg

brings new meaning to the surfing in namibia,  "a wave to die for"

On 7/20/2019 at 10:16 AM, rooster59 said:

Manager said that the hill is one of the largest and most dangerous for drivers in Samui and is the scene of many road accidents.

Because no-one ever learns anything !