Jump to content

Thais turn to rain dances and spirits as the reservoirs run dry


rooster59

Recommended Posts

Thais turn to rain dances and spirits as the reservoirs run dry

 

dam1.JPG

Image: Daily News

 

Thailand is running dry and the farmers are getting little help from the authorities. 

 

So many are turning to old remedies to help with getting more rainfall - appealing to the gods through rain dances, offering pigs heads and putting stuffed toys in cages and parading them through the streets.

 

The last one seemed to be working as it was actually raining. 

 

Daily News - in a long feature about the state of the nations reservoirs - said that it was a crisis.

 

Four main dams - Bhumibol, Sirikit, Khwae Noi and Pasak - contained only 1.5 thousand million cubic liters between them. 

 

That is enough for 40 days only, they said.

 

Source: Daily News

 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-20

 

 

 

dam5.JPG

dam4.JPG

dam6.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need a sacrifice to appease the rain Gods. If we do it with a person that has the letter P starting their name, we might get some (P)recipitation. Just joking. Bringing in the American Indians would probably have more merit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I may be way off the mark here, but IMHO this is the biggest problem facing Thailand right now. Forget the fancy HS bullet trains, and hordes of Indian and Chinese tourists, if the country, particularly the north and northeast, does not get substantial rainfall between now and the end of October, the rice and agricultural industry will be in massive trouble. Without water flowing south from the Ping, Wang, Yom, Nan and Pa Sak rivers, the Chao Phraya will reach dangerously low levels. I haven't even mentioned the potential catastrophe in the Isaan region.

The two biggest dams, the Bhumibol in Tak and Sirikit in Uttaradit are already very low.

Perhaps someone can post a data sheet with water levels in the Thai dams.

However, I am sure the PM and his colleagues have all this under control.

image.png.b4f8cf6d37362a6378f41900042c0d2b.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

It just had to happen sooner or later didn't it, this is Thailand after all. Bet it will definitely rain now this year due to that. 🤨

Well. I guess that it is the same as in Australia, India, China and The USA. Climate change all over. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

I may be way off the mark here, but IMHO this is the biggest problem facing Thailand right now. Forget the fancy HS bullet trains, and hordes of Indian and Chinese tourists, if the country, particularly the north and northeast, does not get substantial rainfall between now and the end of October, the rice and agricultural industry will be in massive trouble. Without water flowing south from the Ping, Wang, Yom, Nan and Pa Sak rivers, the Chao Phraya will reach dangerously low levels. I haven't even mentioned the potential catastrophe in the Isaan region.

The two biggest dams, the Bhumibol in Tak and Sirikit in Uttaradit are already very low.

Perhaps someone can post a data sheet with water levels in the Thai dams.

However, I am sure the PM and his colleagues have all this under control.

image.png.b4f8cf6d37362a6378f41900042c0d2b.png

Yes it is very alarming and your statement about the rice and crops is surely going to topple this country if nothing is done. The PM said that he would handle the drought himself, but he just has not had the time to pray and send a request out yet. In reality you are correct, this is the biggest problem they have to deal with now while they still can.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Snuller21 said:

Well. I guess that it is the same as in Australia, India, China and The USA. Climate change all over. 

Perhaps you can provide photos of rain dances being held currently in Australia, India, China and the US if as you say it is the same in those countries as you claim.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

So many are turning to old remedies to help with getting more rainfall - appealing to the gods through rain dances, offering pigs heads and putting stuffed toys in cages and parading them through the streets.

 

I thought I'd put this to the test so I gathered a few neighbors and went through the procedures and guess what...…….my bath tub is still EMPTY!

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

So many are turning to old remedies to help with getting more rainfall - appealing to the gods through rain dances, offering pigs heads and putting stuffed toys in cages and parading them through the streets.

 

The last one seemed to be working as it was actually raining. 

No, it really isn’t working. 

 

It’s raining because it’s raining. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:
32 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

So many are turning to old remedies to help with getting more rainfall - appealing to the gods through rain dances, offering pigs heads and putting stuffed toys in cages and parading them through the streets.

 

The last one seemed to be working as it was actually raining. 

 

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

No, it really isn’t working. 

 

It’s raining because it’s raining. 

No it wasn't raining at all! I've just seen it on the TV. They were throwing water around to simulate rain, or maybe to stimulate it. (at least I'm presuming that's why)

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...