Thais turn to rain dances and spirits as the reservoirs run dry

rooster59

Thais turn to rain dances and spirits as the reservoirs run dry

dam1.JPG

Image: Daily News

Thailand is running dry and the farmers are getting little help from the authorities. 

So many are turning to old remedies to help with getting more rainfall - appealing to the gods through rain dances, offering pigs heads and putting stuffed toys in cages and parading them through the streets.

The last one seemed to be working as it was actually raining. 

Daily News - in a long feature about the state of the nations reservoirs - said that it was a crisis.

Four main dams - Bhumibol, Sirikit, Khwae Noi and Pasak - contained only 1.5 thousand million cubic liters between them. 

That is enough for 40 days only, they said.

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-20

dam5.JPG

dam4.JPG

dam6.JPG

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I may be way off the mark here, but IMHO this is the biggest problem facing Thailand right now. Forget the fancy HS bullet trains, and hordes of Indian and Chinese tourists, if the country, particularly the north and northeast, does not get substantial rainfall between now and the end of October, the rice and agricultural industry will be in massive trouble. Without water flowing south from the Ping, Wang, Yom, Nan and Pa Sak rivers, the Chao Phraya will reach dangerously low levels. I haven't even mentioned the potential catastrophe in the Isaan region.

The two biggest dams, the Bhumibol in Tak and Sirikit in Uttaradit are already very low.

Perhaps someone can post a data sheet with water levels in the Thai dams.

However, I am sure the PM and his colleagues have all this under control.

image.png.b4f8cf6d37362a6378f41900042c0d2b.png

11 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

It just had to happen sooner or later didn't it, this is Thailand after all. Bet it will definitely rain now this year due to that. ????

Well. I guess that it is the same as in Australia, India, China and The USA. Climate change all over. 

2 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

I may be way off the mark here, but IMHO this is the biggest problem facing Thailand right now. Forget the fancy HS bullet trains, and hordes of Indian and Chinese tourists, if the country, particularly the north and northeast, does not get substantial rainfall between now and the end of October, the rice and agricultural industry will be in massive trouble. Without water flowing south from the Ping, Wang, Yom, Nan and Pa Sak rivers, the Chao Phraya will reach dangerously low levels. I haven't even mentioned the potential catastrophe in the Isaan region.

The two biggest dams, the Bhumibol in Tak and Sirikit in Uttaradit are already very low.

Perhaps someone can post a data sheet with water levels in the Thai dams.

However, I am sure the PM and his colleagues have all this under control.

image.png.b4f8cf6d37362a6378f41900042c0d2b.png

Yes it is very alarming and your statement about the rice and crops is surely going to topple this country if nothing is done. The PM said that he would handle the drought himself, but he just has not had the time to pray and send a request out yet. In reality you are correct, this is the biggest problem they have to deal with now while they still can.

5 minutes ago, Snuller21 said:

Well. I guess that it is the same as in Australia, India, China and The USA. Climate change all over. 

Perhaps you can provide photos of rain dances being held currently in Australia, India, China and the US if as you say it is the same in those countries as you claim.

26 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

So many are turning to old remedies to help with getting more rainfall - appealing to the gods through rain dances, offering pigs heads and putting stuffed toys in cages and parading them through the streets.

I thought I'd put this to the test so I gathered a few neighbors and went through the procedures and guess what...…….my bath tub is still EMPTY!

30 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

No, it really isn’t working. 

It’s raining because it’s raining. 

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:
32 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

No, it really isn’t working. 

It’s raining because it’s raining. 

No it wasn't raining at all! I've just seen it on the TV. They were throwing water around to simulate rain, or maybe to stimulate it. (at least I'm presuming that's why)

6 minutes ago, vinniekintana said:

Those hillbillies up in Issan should be drilling boreholes like ...yesterday.

Oh...I forgot...a new 4x4 has to come first ????

Trust me they are.

The problem with drilling boreholes is that now you need permission to drill one and applying for that permission can take a while

They need to start cloud seeding. We have a small hobby farm in Issan and so many times this year the sky is dark with low cloud, the wind is blowing hard, you can almost feel it, get ready for a massive downpour and then nothing.

The locals are suffering. The only thing growing is cassava. The rice paddies are bone dry. Our lake is at 20% full and it's almost August. 

In earlier times and in time of drought and other nature problems, i remember his majesty the late king coming forward inspecting the problems first hand, landing a hand, a solution and advice and things got better, he is surely missed...

1 hour ago, geoffbezoz said:

It just had to happen sooner or later didn't it, this is Thailand after all. Bet it will definitely rain now this year due to that. ????

I find the best way to make it rain is to wash the car

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

appealing to the gods through rain dances, offering pigs heads and putting stuffed toys in cages and parading them through the streets.

The new Education Ministry has some BIG CHALLENGES! 

23 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Trust me they are.

The problem with drilling boreholes is that now you need permission to drill one and applying for that permission can take a while

Really ? nobody knows that in Isaan. You want a bore hole and two local chaps come with their equipment and start.

26 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

They need to start cloud seeding. We have a small hobby farm in Issan and so many times this year the sky is dark with low cloud, the wind is blowing hard, you can almost feel it, get ready for a massive downpour and then nothing.

The locals are suffering. The only thing growing is cassava. The rice paddies are bone dry. Our lake is at 20% full and it's almost August. 

Nobody cares about their suffering. They deserve it and defend their Thainess every opportunity. 

They refuse to acknowledge what they do wrong and refuse help from anyone not Thai. 

So, let them suffer in isolation. 

36 minutes ago, vinniekintana said:

Those hillbillies up in Issan should be drilling boreholes like ...yesterday.

Oh...I forgot...a new 4x4 has to come first ????

There's a hole in my pick up

Dear Herny dear henry

There's a hole in my pick up 

dear henry, a hole.

Then mend it dear lyla dear lyla dear lyla, mend it.

With what shall I mend it dear henry dear henry

with what?

With TM30's dear lyla dear lyla.

TM30's

In what shall I fetch them dear henry

4 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Really ? nobody knows that in Isaan. You want a bore hole and two local chaps come with their equipment and start.

That used to be, but you are right, but everyone in our village has been told to get the permission before drilling and some drillers will not even start if they don't see the permission papers.

Archived