Thais turn to rain dances and spirits as the reservoirs run dry

rooster59

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well i can speak to this item alone.  I live outside of Sarahkam, we have 3 farms.  All of our ponds are dry and our new well will only irrigate a farm 3 days a week so we are stuck using light use crops like tumeric and some basic vegetables that can survive on a once a week watering. 

So what does this all mean, starvation for a good portion of the population up here.  They will have to purchase rice.  You can't water well your way through a rice season not on the water we have up here now.  We have neighbors that are trucking water to give the buffalo's, its just that dry. 

My position is that there is no water, we will have to purchase rice and I am sure we will have to share with family what we buy.  No more piglets until the water situation improves.  I don't like spending 4K a month on rice but it is what it is.   I will say this, the villagers are VERY worried.  The government has offered small wells with a solar unit and concrete tanks for holding, but its not enough for rice, its a damn bandaid and nothing that will help out the rice crops.  I look for new crop prices to rice domestically by 25% unless the government intrevenes.  We have insurance from the bank and the government insurance on our crops, don't pay near what the crop would, but it buys a few months worth of rice. 

well if cutting the heads off pigs and sticking them on plates (animal cruelty charges?) and parading animals about in cages does not work I don't know what to suggest, oh yeah how about that cloud seeding from planes?

30 minutes ago, jimmyyy said:

Well i can speak to this item alone.  I live outside of Sarahkam, we have 3 farms.  All of our ponds are dry and our new well will only irrigate a farm 3 days a week so we are stuck using light use crops like tumeric and some basic vegetables that can survive on a once a week watering. 

So what does this all mean, starvation for a good portion of the population up here.  They will have to purchase rice.  You can't water well your way through a rice season not on the water we have up here now.  We have neighbors that are trucking water to give the buffalo's, its just that dry. 

My position is that there is no water, we will have to purchase rice and I am sure we will have to share with family what we buy.  No more piglets until the water situation improves.  I don't like spending 4K a month on rice but it is what it is.   I will say this, the villagers are VERY worried.  The government has offered small wells with a solar unit and concrete tanks for holding, but its not enough for rice, its a damn bandaid and nothing that will help out the rice crops.  I look for new crop prices to rice domestically by 25% unless the government intrevenes.  We have insurance from the bank and the government insurance on our crops, don't pay near what the crop would, but it buys a few months worth of rice. 

Hope things get better for you and you get some rain. Good luck.

none of that will work, seeding might be of some help, but i don't know enough about it to offer up a real opinion on it.  It is what it is, its a drought.  We pay cash for everything and keep trucking along.  There will not be any pig heads out in front of my house. 

Rain dances? Pig heads on altars? Caged toys being paraded through the streets?

I just want to sit down, omit a deep sigh and bury my head in my hands, lamenting that this country is hopelessly stuck in the dark ages in so many respects.

Meanwhile, my maid continues to blissfully ignore my requests to not keep the tap running for hours on end but conserve water. She's off this weekend, visiting her family in Isan. I wonder if she's joined one or another of these rain dances on the occasion, possibly sacrificing a pig head or two as well so she can continue wasting water once she's returned.  

2 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

Perhaps you can provide photos of rain dances being held currently in Australia, India, China and the US if as you say it is the same in those countries as you claim.

In Australia the PM pray to “god” for rain. 

Will that help? Is god real?

i don’t think that will have successful. 

Maybe Santa Xmas can help it?

https://news.thaivisa.com/article/37475/australias-morrison-calls-for-more-prayer-and-religious-freedom

4 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

Rain dances? Pig heads on altars? Caged toys being paraded through the streets?

I just want to sit down, omit a deep sigh and bury my head in my hands, lamenting that this country is hopelessly stuck in the dark ages in so many respects.

Meanwhile, my maid continues to blissfully ignore my requests to not keep the tap running for hours on end but conserve water. She's off this weekend, visiting her family in Isan. I wonder if she's joined one or another of these rain dances on the occasion, possibly sacrificing a pig head or two as well so she can continue wasting water once she's returned.  

Let's just count our blessing that they don't partake in child sacrifices anymore to please the Gods.

5 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

We need a sacrifice to appease the rain Gods. If we do it with a person that has the letter P starting their name, we might get some (P)recipitation. Just joking. Bringing in the American Indians would probably have more merit.

Na ,  a few farlangs ,  with visa issues , that will do nicely .

Regards Peter ..

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

In earlier times and in time of drought and other nature problems, i remember his majesty the late king coming forward inspecting the problems first hand, landing a hand, a solution and advice and things got better, he is surely missed...

Not easy from 5000 miles away

Archived