Thais turn to rain dances and spirits as the reservoirs run dry

rooster59

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe Thais turn to those responsible for turning the irrigation upside down, those who managed dams etc. 

Maybe they get some expert advice by other countries operating for dams before there was even a word for "dam" in Thai language ......... 

20 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Nobody cares about their suffering. They deserve it and defend their Thainess every opportunity. 

They refuse to acknowledge what they do wrong and refuse help from anyone not Thai. 

So, let them suffer in isolation. 

You are a sad individual.  Please tell me you do NOT live in Thailand. 

They deserve it... Quite a sick comment. 

Sadly the Thais have no idea what to do in this drought situation. The Government have sat on this for years and done nothing. This year it would appear is the worst for 50 years and yet there have, as far as i am aware, been no ban on hose pipes, car washes, guidance on toilet flushes, suggestions on how to cut water usage, e.g. not to keep taps running for rinsing dishes etc. In UK emergency powers are given and pamphlets issued to all households at the slightest hint of water shortages. Here absolutely nothing!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

21 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

I may be way off the mark here, but IMHO this is the biggest problem facing Thailand right now. Forget the fancy HS bullet trains, and hordes of Indian and Chinese tourists, if the country, particularly the north and northeast, does not get substantial rainfall between now and the end of October, the rice and agricultural industry will be in massive trouble. Without water flowing south from the Ping, Wang, Yom, Nan and Pa Sak rivers, the Chao Phraya will reach dangerously low levels. I haven't even mentioned the potential catastrophe in the Isaan region.

The two biggest dams, the Bhumibol in Tak and Sirikit in Uttaradit are already very low.

Perhaps someone can post a data sheet with water levels in the Thai dams.

However, I am sure the PM and his colleagues have all this under control.

image.png.b4f8cf6d37362a6378f41900042c0d2b.png

Actually, you did. (Thankfully), although you failed to mention that all tourists will also suffer, together with the total population of Thailand when the water runs out and 76 million people get thirsty. Bottled water will become scarce while prices will rocket and that's when it will all turn nasty. Most people will also smell bad and gardens, and all farmers' crops will die and thereafter, Thailand's economy will plunge sharply, not to mention law and order.

How's that for a Sunday doom and gloom projection? But I agree with everything you said and I too am confident that 'you-know-who' and his 'you-know-what' have all this under control.

Meanwhile, we all must ensure that we plan ahead, right?

7 hours ago, graemeaylward said:

Sadly the Thais have no idea what to do in this drought situation. The Government have sat on this for years and done nothing. This year it would appear is the worst for 50 years and yet there have, as far as i am aware, been no ban on hose pipes, car washes, guidance on toilet flushes, suggestions on how to cut water usage, e.g. not to keep taps running for rinsing dishes etc. In UK emergency powers are given and pamphlets issued to all households at the slightest hint of water shortages. Here absolutely nothing!

The school that my children attend ( Hang dong, Chiang Mai)  have recently installed this very fine water mist system around the school, I have hinted  that Thailand is in a drought situation. Nobody seems concerned and still continues. The children love it as they stand under the water and get soaked ,not a good way to teach about water conservation. 

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

On 7/20/2019 at 10:53 AM, rooster59 said:

So many are turning to old remedies to help with getting more rainfall - appealing to the gods through rain dances, offering pigs heads and putting stuffed toys in cages and parading them through the streets.

As Thailand holds the chair for ASEAN 2019... the other nations can relax a little !

Archived