50 years old visa options

Hi all , I  am Australian and 50years old. I am aware of the retirement visa but was wondering is there a visa option that would allow me either to stay for 3 months at a time (single entry each time) or a 3 month visa which has multiple entry in. 12 month period similar to the visa based on marriage.

Reason is I don’t want to fully retire yet but would like to work 3 months then 3 months off in thailand?

Someone said the unwritten rule for visa exemptions on arrival is 6 per calendar year which maybe another option.

thank you for your assistance 

If you can meet the financial requirements a Non-Immigrant O-A visa is probably your best option.

http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/Home/visa

The visa is valid for 1 year from the date issued. Every time you enter you receive a 1 year stay permit. When you make your last entry using the visa you will receive a final 1 year stay permit. The first time you return to AUS during that final year you can buy a Multiple Entry Re-Entry Permit [RE] (3,800 baht), OR buy a Single Entry RE for each trip (1,000 baht). The RE will protect your final 1 year stay permit and enable you to come and go during that year. Every time you enter using the RE you will be stamped in for the remainder of your protected stay.

When the final stay permit ends — nearly two years after the visa was issued — you can buy another O-A visa in AUS and repeat, OR when/if ready to retire you can apply for a 1 year extension of stay from immigration,

Edited by elviajero

As the others have said, O-A retirement visa would be the best option. I got mine from the Thai consulate in Sydney. You need proof of money, AFP police check cert, and medical certificate. My GP just signed the medical cert for me, you can download the form from the consulate web site. As far as I remember you need to enter within 3 months, so don't do it too early. The whole process was smooth and took 3 days to get the visa. 

There is quite a bit of info on the process, just search the forum. 

6 minutes ago, Martyp said:

Also there is no requirement that you have to be in Thailand any amount of time. You can just keep getting O-A visa and come and go as you like.

Also the money for application can be in oz bank. Also silly requirements re money in bank after visa granted not required. I would love an O-A rather than my current extensions.

I visit oz once a yr. Easy to get an O-A every 2 years.

PS can also apply by mail at Canberra. Under 10 days. 

Edited by DrJack54

4 hours ago, darrenr said:

So essentially there is no 3 month visa (other than retirement visa O-A)

as want to avoid the putting 800000 baht in Thai bank account and reporting every 90 days 

90-day non-O visas were at one time available from Royal Thai embassies and consulates in Western countries for those aged 50 or over. Unfortunately for you the relevant powers-that-be then ordained in their infinite wisdom that non-O visas should, in general, no longer be issued to those aged 50 or above by Western embassies and consulates, thus leaving the non-OA visa as the sole visa option for those aged 50 or over in practice (unless they are married to Thai nationals).

Edited by OJAS

6 hours ago, darrenr said:

as want to avoid the putting 800000 baht in Thai bank account and reporting every 90 days 

With an O-A visa purchased outside Thailand you can meet the financial requirements using money banked in your home country. There is no need for a Thai bank account.

You only need to do a 90 day report if you remain in the country 90 days. Every foreigner has to do this. You can avoid the 90 day report by leaving before 90 days. Every time you enter Thailand the 90 day clock resets and you are due to report 89 days after entry. If you want to come for 3 months, as you know, some months have 30 days and some have 31 days. 90 days means 90 days.

Also, the 800,000 baht figure you mention only applies to foreigners applying for a 1 year extension which you only do when your visa expires.

Edited by Martyp

7 hours ago, darrenr said:

There is no 90-day visa. You can start with a 60-day Tourist visa and extend it for another 30-day inside Thailand. With a three month break in home country and and a new visa from home country, you may be able to continue like this. If IO stops you in the future, you can always go back and get an O-A visa. There is no money requirement in a Thai bank for an O-A visa. I did that 2013-16 and then got tired of getting Tourist visa and got the O-A for two years no hassle visa.

Edited by onera1961