Where to buy cows?

I am located in Sisaket province and I would like to buy a few cows, for reproduction, not for selling as meat. 

I understand that it is risky to buy randomly on cattle markets here and there, because many sellers are offering damaged animals, sometime carefully prepared for the occasion with the help of a vet and his magic needles. 

Thus my question is do you know of any reliable cattle market or farmer in this area? I can easily travel between Sisaket and Surin or Ubon, if necessary... 

21 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

I am located in Sisaket province and I would like to buy a few cows, for reproduction, not for selling as meat

Have your partner find and contact your local Department of Livestock and Development you should have a local office. I'm in Kap Choeng Surin and my wife deals with our local DLD. 

46 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

Have your partner find and contact your local Department of Livestock and Development you should have a local office. I'm in Kap Choeng Surin and my wife deals with our local DLD. 

Thanks, I will look into that... 

5 minutes ago, jimmyyy said:

If you can pick up in Sarahkam province let me know what you are looking for, its easy to source we can deliver as well, like everything for a cost. 

Sarakham... I had to look it up, one of the few provinces I had not heard about... 

Why not... can you send me some pictures of what you have? 

I would be interested in buying 3 females and a male, all in or near reproduction age, but young anyway... 

As for the race, probably a crossbreed such as Thai Black (Thai/Black Angus) or Tark breed (Brahman/Charolais) or something similar... 

Give me a few days, i will have to get with uncle who owns them.  I don't keep cows, i can't eat em they taste like crap, so its like a horse you can't ride.  So you want Calving age?  Send me a message with your phone number and I will get with you directly.  

Would be cheaper if you bought locally.  Gonna cost you to ship.  Have your wife's dad or uncle take you to the local moo market.  Pretty easy to purchase, just make sure you look at them closely so your not buying a problem. 

3 minutes ago, jimmyyy said:

Would be cheaper if you bought locally.  Gonna cost you to ship.  Have your wife's dad or uncle take you to the local moo market.  Pretty easy to purchase, just make sure you look at them closely so your not buying a problem. 

I know a few markets around but, as I said, I don't trust the sellers because fraud (trying to sell damaged animals) is rampant. 

Maybe I could ask (and pay) a vet to come with me, so that he could check the animals much more efficiently than I can... 

Just make sure you know your vet, all the cow buying i have seen up here has been done in lots of like 5, if you have a problem animal its going to the moo market.  Just based upon what i have seen.  Now if you know of a farmer who has a lot of cows, you might have good luck purchasing through him.  You damn well better have a vet check out the animal before you bid if that is possible. 

Just spoke to my uncle, he is still laughing, buy em down there.  The shipping alone would be expensive as he put it.  Call the Ag department in your county.  They will have the information on the market. 

12 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Sarakham... I had to look it up, one of the few provinces I had not heard about... 

Why not... can you send me some pictures of what you have? 

I would be interested in buying 3 females and a male, all in or near reproduction age, but young anyway... 

As for the race, probably a crossbreed such as Thai Black (Thai/Black Angus) or Tark breed (Brahman/Charolais) or something similar... 

I think you will struggle to find Brangus Thai X Brahman or Tark /Kamphagpet at a local market ,at Thai ,markets it is mainly Brahman X Ido Brazil ,Long eared things ,difficult things to rear .

You what young animals ,they will be about 20 months old ,if they are any good ,and are in good condition you will be looking at 20 000 baht plus .

Try looking in Thai farming magazines  some good farms will advertise there ,or ask around ,I would keep away from Thai markets ,not for the inexperienced ,and for those that do not speak Thai .

As for a vet going ,forget it ,what will he do ,Thai vets are not good at picking out good cattle ,and they is no way a vet will examine any Thai cattle unless they are in a good securer holding pen ,they can kick very hard ,which your local market will not have .

And do not think Thai cattle markets are like our ones ,last one I went too was just a load o pick up trucks with cattle on ,at a piece of rough ground .

As for haulage prices not as much as you think ,if very local 1-200 baht ,I would say you would not pay more than 4000 baht . 

Get your wife to let it be known you are in the market for heifers ready to put to the bull, or perhaps 1st or 2nd calvers. the word will go out locally and you will receive notification of available cattle as and when people need to sell. Given the state of the rice crop this year you should have a few options. just don't be in too much of a rush, it's worth waiting for quality.

You may be offered in calf, but owner not sure of the bull. at least a few months down the line you have produce, and you know the cow holds when you want to put your breed on. Last Brahman we bought in calf was 35k from a neighbour, cow is now in calf again. Previous was from a local dealer older cow but quality and gave us the two quality heifers we are calving now before it died. We have been offered a couple in between, one quality cow with 3 month old heifer calf we would have bought at 40k, but the guy changed his mind

good luck in your new enterprise

Black Angus bull, about 6 weeks old in photo. Mom is from the wife personal heard. She has two more about 5 months along with Red Brahman and just had another done with Black Angus with one more to go. Insemination by our local vet who btw is from the DLS.

image.png.e3015d28207f7c0a37a2d04fc68bf4fd.png

image.png.129c8742ff1b25d954c4c08b66b26fb8.png

You may want to check this thread. This project is over 100 head now and growing. Sponsored by our local Department of Livestock and Development. 

6 hours ago, 473geo said:

Get your wife to let it be known you are in the market for heifers ready to put to the bull, or perhaps 1st or 2nd calvers. the word will go out locally and you will receive notification of available cattle as and when people need to sell. Given the state of the rice crop this year you should have a few options. just don't be in too much of a rush, it's worth waiting for quality.

You may be offered in calf, but owner not sure of the bull. at least a few months down the line you have produce, and you know the cow holds when you want to put your breed on. Last Brahman we bought in calf was 35k from a neighbour, cow is now in calf again. Previous was from a local dealer older cow but quality and gave us the two quality heifers we are calving now before it died. We have been offered a couple in between, one quality cow with 3 month old heifer calf we would have bought at 40k, but the guy changed his mind

good luck in your new enterprise

The wife has already put the word out... and I am in no hurry at all since the wife and her family are much more enthusiastic at the idea of buying the cows than that of preparing the land for them (build a shelter, a fence, grow grass...), and I made it clear that no purchase will happen as long as everything will not be ready to welcome the animals... 

I do not see this as an enterprise, but rather as a way to park some money at a better yield that what is offered by banks... between 1 and 1.5% per year... 

I think it should not be too hard to beat this with breeding cows... 

2 hours ago, khwaibah said:

Black Angus bull, about 6 weeks old in photo. Mom is from the wife personal heard. She has two more about 5 months along with Red Brahman and just had another done with Black Angus with one more to go. Insemination by our local vet who btw is from the DLS.

image.png.e3015d28207f7c0a37a2d04fc68bf4fd.png

image.png.129c8742ff1b25d954c4c08b66b26fb8.png

You may want to check this thread. This project is over 100 head now and growing. Sponsored by our local Department of Livestock and Development. 

Thanks... I am going to read that thread... 

Your black angus is very nice... I haven't seen any of these around where I live... 

2 hours ago, Brunolem said:

The wife has already put the word out... and I am in no hurry at all since the wife and her family are much more enthusiastic at the idea of buying the cows than that of preparing the land for them (build a shelter, a fence, grow grass...), and I made it clear that no purchase will happen as long as everything will not be ready to welcome the animals... 

I do not see this as an enterprise, but rather as a way to park some money at a better yield that what is offered by banks... between 1 and 1.5% per year... 

I think it should not be too hard to beat this with breeding cows... 

No problem as you appear to know what you are doing I'll leave you to it ????

3 hours ago, 473geo said:

No problem as you appear to know what you are doing I'll leave you to it ????

One question still... 

Do you think it is better to own only females and have them artificially inseminated, or better to own at least one male who will (hopefully) do the job in a more natural way? 

Just now, Brunolem said:

One question still... 

Do you think it is better to own only females and have them artificially inseminated, or better to own at least one male who will (hopefully) do the job in a more natural way? 

AI is widely available, and mostly if they do not carry Angus on the day, they will have popular Japanese straw available, my wife has put Wagyu to the heifer above.

If you are rearing your bull caves to say to 18 months to 2 years they will assist on identifying when the cows are ready for service as do the other females

A small number of cows, does not, in my opinion, justify feeding a bull for a year, the feed is better pushed into the cows to keep them fit and come into service, or feed an additional cow

17 hours ago, 473geo said:

You and your family will already know I am sure, but just to add when you make your cowshed make a secure holding facility/crush for injections/worming and AI

Thanks for all these informations... 

So only females it is... 

Myself and the family don't know much about cows, but our neighbor next door has been in the cow business for decades and can provide advice when necessary... 

On 7/21/2019 at 10:55 AM, Brunolem said:

One question still... 

As has been said AI is better than keeping a bull ,but the way some Thai inseminates inseminate cattle  it is a miracle  anything gets in calf ,and how well is the semen stored, and the quality of the semen ,conception rate will be higher with a bull than with AI ,but with AI the animal can be served at at the right time of the heat cycle 

But no matter what you use a bull or AI, feeding is still the most important thing ,a bit of rice straw and some Nappier grass way past its good feed valve stage ,you will have an infertility problem,and cattle will not grow.  

We rear a few cattle and use AI and our cows calve a calf every 12-14 months ,and we sell on the bulls ,and a few heifers at 12-14 month old  and get a good price.

As for''parking some money '',in cattle ,as the adverts for financial company say ,your investments can go down as well as up ,at the moment Thai cattle prices have dropped ,having been high for a good few years now they are on the way down ,and with the Thai economy not as good as the men in Bangkok say I would say the only way is down .

The only way to make make any money is to grow some good quality forage ,this dwarf Nappier ,or sweet Israel grass is showing some promising results, or Mulato II or the legume Hamata Stylo ,with some good quality forage expensive concentrates can be cut back on. 

10 hours ago, kickstart said:

As has been said AI is better than keeping a bull ,but the way some Thai inseminates inseminate cattle  it is a miracle  anything gets in calf ,and how well is the semen stored, and the quality of the semen ,conception rate will be higher with a bull than with AI ,but with AI the animal can be served at at the right time of the heat cycle 

But no matter what you use a bull or AI, feeding is still the most important thing ,a bit of rice straw and some Nappier grass way past its good feed valve stage ,you will have an infertility problem,and cattle will not grow.  

We rear a few cattle and use AI and our cows calve a calf every 12-14 months ,and we sell on the bulls ,and a few heifers at 12-14 month old  and get a good price.

As for''parking some money '',in cattle ,as the adverts for financial company say ,your investments can go down as well as up ,at the moment Thai cattle prices have dropped ,having been high for a good few years now they are on the way down ,and with the Thai economy not as good as the men in Bangkok say I would say the only way is down .

The only way to make make any money is to grow some good quality forage ,this dwarf Nappier ,or sweet Israel grass is showing some promising results, or Mulato II or the legume Hamata Stylo ,with some good quality forage expensive concentrates can be cut back on. 

Thanks for all this... 

I am not sure I understand what you say... do you mean that rice straw and Nappier grass are not good for cows? 

Otherwise, if the prices are going down, it is going to be a good time to buy... 

Yet, it seems a bit difficult to know what are the prices since, at least in my area, no two cows are the same... I hear all kinds of numbers and see all kinds of cows... 

Archived