72 year old Thai admitted to graphic and information design college

rooster59

72 year old Thai admitted to graphic and information design college

Paiboon.jpg

Thai PBS Online reported yesterday (Friday) that Mr. Paiboon Sudlapa, 72, has been accepted as a full-time undergraduate student of graphic and information design at the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences of Bansomdejchaopraya Rajabhat University. He will be spending four years studying to graduate with a bachelor’s degree.

He said he was happy and was warmly welcomed by his classmates, who looked after him even when he went to the washroom on orientation day.

Smiling broadly, he said “I want them to relax and they can call me ‘Phi’ (brother), but they all opt to call me ‘Loong’ (uncle) instead.”

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/72-year-old-thai-admitted-to-graphic-and-information-design-college/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-07-20

Good on the old chap, it's never too late to learn something new.

He may even have a positive influence on his classmates and they will be the best scoring class ever ????

He looks very good for 72 years old ... unless he’s been preparing for the cameras with a good few rubs of Grecian 2000 and remembered to put his contact lenses in. 

Anyway, I hope ThaiVisa remembers to go back for his graduation in 4 year’s time ????????????

36 minutes ago, Thechook said:

100's of senior citizens doing UNI in Australia this is hardly news.  Would be multi 1000's around the world 

In Thailand it is news. Remember that pregnant women, or women with children aren't allowed to study, be it in high school, techno college or university. I worked in a uni here and it is very homogeneous with the students being pretty much the same age at all the various levels. For those who had kids, or were working, there were special evening classes. 

So, in a nutshell, it is kinda special for here....

Wow impressive guy, lived in the USA, was a fighter pilot and fought in the Persian gulf war,  ended up being a commercial pilot. Finally an article that gave some background. Maybe the press in Thailand will change... then again. 

On 7/20/2019 at 5:40 PM, Thechook said:

100's of senior citizens doing UNI in Australia this is hardly news.  Would be multi 1000's around the world 

It is news here.  Thailand is probably one of the most ageist countries in the World, once you are past 50 you are basically finished here as a productive and useful member of society.  They expect you to just fade away.  It always makes me smile when some say that the Thais respect older people.  That is BS, relatives are tolerated, the rest of the older people can go hang. 

Archived