Renewal of 5 year driver's license in Banglamung DLT

manarak

I have to renew my existing 5-year driver's licenses soon and wanted to know from fellow forum members who recently did the same what documentation is required.

I have:

- Passport with 1-year extension

- Work permit

- Original driver's licenses (car and motorcycle)

do I need anything else? I believe a medical certificate isn't required anymore?

Can someone advise me as to what documentation will be required of me in order to get a Thai driver's license if I have never had one before? I do have a valid California driver's license that won't expire until February 2021.

6 hours ago, manarak said:

I have:

- Passport with 1-year extension

- Work permit

- Original driver's licenses (car and motorcycle)

do I need anything else? I believe a medical certificate isn't required anymore?

I did mine recently and I didn't need a medical certificate but I did need a residence certificate. I think that with your work permit you don't need that.

For extending 5yr to 5yr NO medical cert. is required due to the rules and own experience (not Banglamung).

Some proof of residence is required. What is accepted might vary depending on office.

But a working permit (book?) is accepted (also by the written rules).

ORIGINAL PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IN THAILAND CERTIFY FROM EMBASSY / IMMIGRATION BUREAU (VALID FOR 1 YEAR) OR WORK PERMIT (WITH PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IDENTIFIED) AND ORIGINAL PHOTO COPY OR

Photocopy: expect that they want (signed) copies of about everything.

Hard to prepare but services are always close.

• 2 weeks later...

debrief.

I went there at about 9:30 with just my passport, expired licences and work permit.

was directed to counter 11

waited for about 10 minutes for someone to take my applications.

she asked for 30 baht for the DLT office to do the copies by themselves. OK, that's a welcome change.

I had to leave passport and work permit there, as well as the expired licenses. felt a little worry about that.
I think it's safer if anyone makes copies of his documents.

I was told I would have to watch an instruction video and do eye tests.

then I was told to come back at 13:30 because the 9:30 video session had already begun...

fast forward to 13:30.

60 persons were admitted to that batch of tests.

they take out groups of 20 to perform the 2 eye tests.

then we had to watch the video where Ms. Manao shows off her driving skills.

the video was clearly aimed at people who had not had a lot of driving instruction if at all.

of course it's good that Thailand tries to train drivers, but I had the feeling the video didn't address the most important points and also some were factually wrong.

one example is that not wearing a helmet causes accidents.

running red lights, driving the wrong way on roads, not checking mirrors and not looking for traffic weren't specifically mentioned.

it was quite peculiar how many foreign accident videos were shown, many picked off youtube, but so few Thai accidents, despite there being a huge number of them on youtube.

Archived