Compulsory Car Insurance

Annual argument with the wife ahead when I get the truck tested and taxed.

She insists that the 'compulsory' insurance is still compulsory even though I already paid 12,000 with a proper insurance office.

I think the test centre insurance is a waste of 600 thb, but the wife says it's the only one police are interested in if an accident occurs.

Anybody know, can I politely decline the test centre insurance.?

My understanding is that your wife is right.

If you drive with no compulsory insurance you are breaking the law. Also you can't tax the car without it.

Check if your "proper" insurance includes the compulsory, it will say on the insurance certificate whether it does or not.

Your wife is most likely right.

Check your insurance policy, somewhere it will say that it does not include the compulsary insurance

On mine it's a big red text, made to look like a stamp, which states this in Thai.

You can of course decline the compulsary insurance from the test center and pay them just the 60-100THB for the test certificate, but this just means you have to buy the compulsary insurance somewhere else before you can pay your vehicle tax.

What you're up against here is the 'standard practice' of buying tax and basic compulsory insurance. from the one outlet. And you must know by now, what Thais are like when it comes to 'But I've always done it that way'. 

If your additional voluntary insurance purchase includes the compulsory 3rd party cover, which it almost certainly will, you can use that is proof of cover when renewing the tax.

Now the hard bit. Convincing your wife of that! Good luck.

53 minutes ago, yosib157 said:

I think the test centre insurance is a waste of 600 thb, but the wife says it's the only one police are interested in if an accident occurs.

Nothing to do with the test center.

No new sticker without the compulsory insurance required by law from DLT.

Only one interested? Not really.

In case of an accident the policy of your complementary insurance will be THE document of interest for the insurance agent (the first to call in case).

Can save you from being locked up (bail money etc.) and of course will cover real expenses for third party damages (death, disability, material damage).

19 hours ago, Crossy said:

My understanding is that your wife is right.

If you drive with no compulsory insurance you are breaking the law. Also you can't tax the car without it.

Check if your "proper" insurance includes the compulsory, it will say on the insurance certificate whether it does or not.

Insurance always include compulsory except if you opt out, so his wife is clearly wrong. The time when any wife would be right has not come yet.

There is potential for confusion here.

I just checked the policies of our two vehicles.

The 12 year old Ford Ranger which has second class insurance has a note that compulsory insurance is NOT included.

The 3 year old Isuzu mu-X which is first class insurance has a note that compulsory IS included.

Both are insured with the same company via the same agent.

The advice to our OP to check what is actually stated on his insurance certificate stands. Look for large black or red text on the certificate and use Google Translate before talking to the missus.

The compulsory on everything we have had issued by a broker together with first class cover note have been separate "notes", the compulsory note has a tear off strip that the LTO remove when taxing the ride..

Thanks for all the interesting responses, and I'm NOT surprised by some of the points as most foreigners I know suffer the same reactions from their loved ones. I was once unfairly criticised for generalising which I think is quite acceptable in Thailand as all indigenous folk believe in the same things and react in the same way.

Similarly, in almost 19 years of misguided folklore and nonsense from the missus, minor issues have become catalysts for all out war.

There is no red or bold print on my policy from South East Insurance. However, the document is actually double with a dotted line across the middle possibly meaning I could tear it in half and attach with the Tabien application if that's what it's for. Every thing is in dual languages except from one line of script above the dotted line. This may refer to the compulsory cover.

However, if I do ask at the test centre (which is incidentally a few km away from the actual tax office) and I am right, then will my other half go into a fit of embarrassment due to losing face? For sure she will.

Maybe more prudent if I keep quiet, pay the extra unnecessary 600 tb then take her for a nice lunch thanking her for all her work.

Now too old to handle sulky females.   

Archived