Tips for Success working as an Expat

1 - they won't understand you most of the time anyway - they don't understand each other

2 - learn how to not get upset over the never-ending bullshit and zip logic

3 - find a gf - the local community needs the money - we ain't using our graft cash for that

4 - see 2

5 - holiday and life are two different things, but don't worry - TM30 is waiting for ya anyway

6 - you got to shut up about the 16th century stuff and not tlink to mut

7 - brown envelopes, law is fluid, monopolies lobby will kill your idea before you start, feel free to open bar with killer key /extortion/ money

8 - lao khao and fried chicken can keep you sane

9 - sort out sinsod and possible future payments before too late

10 - we not homesick, we cry when 3rd world country selling us western goods with 300% markup

I worked as an expat for 35 years, the only tip I followed was #8, "drink like a local".

The majority of the locals I liked all seemed to have an affinity for alcohol ???? 

For Isaan:

1. Do not drink Lao Khao like a local, it kills you.

2. Isaan girls are great. Learn the local slang and try to have a conversation with some people. 

3. Get used to have a cold shower with a bucket, no matter what time of the year.

4. Say Bo Bhenn Jang instead of Mai Phenn rai.

5. Instead of thank you- Khop Khun khrap, just say Khop Khun la lai and people will smile.

6. Treat others the way you want to be treated and you're fine. 

7. If you settle down in Isaan, move a few km away from the extended family.

8. Don't be shocked when you see too many beauties at the Sunday market. get used to it.

9. Try local food such as silk worms and still alive baby shrimp. Just swallow them as you've done that your life long. 

10. Visit some Bang Fai festivals and try not to fall in love with good looking girls, if you're married.

Don't do something stupid, the house goose will always be happy to eat your little one. If you follow these points, you should be good in Isaan. ????????

18 hours ago, HeyHeyHey said:

1 - they won't understand you most of the time anyway - they don't understand each other

2 - learn how to not get upset over the never-ending bullshit and zip logic

3 - find a gf - the local community needs the money - we ain't using our graft cash for that

4 - see 2

5 - holiday and life are two different things, but don't worry - TM30 is waiting for ya anyway

6 - you got to shut up about the 16th century stuff and not tlink to mut

7 - brown envelopes, law is fluid, monopolies lobby will kill your idea before you start, feel free to open bar with killer key /extortion/ money

8 - lao khao and fried chicken can keep you sane

9 - sort out sinsod and possible future payments before too late

10 - we not homesick, we cry when 3rd world country selling us western goods with 300% markup

#3 can be the start of a lot of problems!
#9 also, means you're gonna get married!

44 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

10. Visit some Bang

44 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

10. Visit some Bang Fai festivals and try not to fall in love with good looking girls, if you'r

After living here for a few years guess I look for the Con/or Not

before beauty... it’s lonely out in the sticks of the village

2 hours ago, plfomylo said:

Be invisible, do not talk to anyone and do not share anything private. Also work illegally online, better than trying to register anything and talk to idiots who understand nothing.

Yes, I basically did no. 3 backwards: I isolated myself and refused to work for or with Thai companies. I’ve nothing against Thai people at all but I can’t work with them

Archived