Looking for great breakfast/lunch buffets

vagabond48

Yep... Here is another non-fake photo taken with my iPhone just this past Saturday. Obviously, I like the same foods each week, although this week I added some cucumber for variety.  We'll go back again this coming Saturday... The food is damn good for 140 baht!  And while I agree with Vagabond48 about the mustard, when I remember, I bring my own good German gros-grained mustard! Problem solved!

Buffet3.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Yep... Here is another non-fake photo taken with my iPhone just this past Saturday. Obviously, I like the same foods each week, although this week I added some cucumber for variety.  We'll go back again this coming Saturday... The food is damn good for 140 baht!  And while I agree with Vagabond48 about the mustard, when I remember, I bring my own good German gros-grained mustard! Problem solved!

Buffet3.jpg

Any bacon?

7 hours ago, stament said:

Any bacon?

I've never noticed any bacon there. Two or three different sausages, 4-5 different sliced deli meats, fried chicken, fried fish, braised pork knuckle, two or three different meat patties, roast duck breast...  but no bacon.

I went to Auf der Au last Saturday evening.  From my door i drove, thru the pouring rain, 15 km to the buffet. Found the place easy enough, right along the streetside. Went in at 5:30pm to the eclectic dining room and the charming Thai lady offered me a table.  No one else entered the restaurant until 6:10 so i had plenty to choose from.

I liked most of the salads, tried some of the meat but everything was unlabled so i never knew what i was choosing. Was that fish or chicken; beef or pork? Some meat was swimming in sweet gluey sauce so hard to tell. Ate some cake, avoided the ice cream. Found no rice at all, so most Thais will go disappointed. Plenty of breads, but i avoided those too. 

Enjoyed the country and western music; tapes no doubt from the 60s. Except for street noise, a quiet place. Clean and hygienic?  Maybe, about the same as many places open-air to the world of dirt.

Drank water. Ate plenty of meat protein, fats, some carbos, lots of veg but some in fatty dressings. 

I went to pay up and was told 260 baht, which set me back a bit.  From reports on these pages i expected to pay 140 baht. 

It's a long way to drive, and pay highly, for such a meal. I would guess for me, 2x per year eating at Auf der Au will be good enough. 

Back to the Grandview next month.

And i can offer an apology for the comments about 'fake fotos'. Except, probably Folk Guitar should have taken 3 photos to display his full meal! ????

26 minutes ago, chingmai331 said:

Went in at 5:30pm

27 minutes ago, chingmai331 said:

I went to pay up and was told 260 baht, which set me back a bit.  From reports on these pages i expected to pay 140 baht.

So you wanted the breakfast price for dinner.  It usually does not work that way.

23 minutes ago, chingmai331 said:

.......tried some of the meat but everything was unlabled so i never knew what i was choosing. Was that fish or chicken; beef or pork?

Yes, I noticed that too. No labels. So I asked. Fortunately, it had all been declassified the week before and so the nice Thai lady was able to tell me.

23 minutes ago, chingmai331 said:

And i can offer an apology for the comments about 'fake fotos'. Except, probably Folk Guitar should have taken 3 photos to display his full meal! ????

I'm curious.... Why should I have taken three photos? I was just suggesting a good place to eat, not shooting a menu.

On 7/20/2019 at 6:25 PM, brommers said:

There is no such thing as a good buffet. Cooked food kept waiting in inadequately hot conditions grow bacteria, and people shed dead skin cells and hair as they serve themselves or dimply rummage around in the bains marie. Cannot think of anything more revolting than a buffet.

False.

A couple of Marriott's I stay prepare any hot food items upon request and order.

Fresh and hot.

On 7/21/2019 at 9:09 PM, FolkGuitar said:

I'll put in a vote for 'Auf der Au' too.  We've been eating there every weekend now for several weeks and never been disappointed. The owner, Udo, will even make you a fresh omelet or scrambled eggs if you ask. The food is fresh and tasty, with good variety. Price is 140 baht per person.

Buffet2.jpg

I thought that only Chinese girls took photos of their food.

13 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

I went to Auf der Au last Saturday evening.  From my door i drove, thru the pouring rain, 15 km to the buffet. Found the place easy enough, right along the streetside. Went in at 5:30pm to the eclectic dining room and the charming Thai lady offered me a table.  No one else entered the restaurant until 6:10 so i had plenty to choose from.

I liked most of the salads, tried some of the meat but everything was unlabled so i never knew what i was choosing. Was that fish or chicken; beef or pork? Some meat was swimming in sweet gluey sauce so hard to tell. Ate some cake, avoided the ice cream. Found no rice at all, so most Thais will go disappointed. Plenty of breads, but i avoided those too. 

Enjoyed the country and western music; tapes no doubt from the 60s. Except for street noise, a quiet place. Clean and hygienic?  Maybe, about the same as many places open-air to the world of dirt.

Drank water. Ate plenty of meat protein, fats, some carbos, lots of veg but some in fatty dressings. 

I went to pay up and was told 260 baht, which set me back a bit.  From reports on these pages i expected to pay 140 baht

It's a long way to drive, and pay highly, for such a meal. I would guess for me, 2x per year eating at Auf der Au will be good enough. 

Back to the Grandview next month.

No rice and plenty of Thais (perhaps 65% Thai clientele). No disappointments. They don't all eat rice with every meal.

140 Baht from 7:30? until 14:00 "breakfast buffet".

Enjoy the Grandview. We won't go back.

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 10:32 AM, FolkGuitar said:

Buffet3.jpg

too much noodles, not enough sausage

53 minutes ago, jastheace said:

too much noodles, not enough sausage

You need to get together with hmficc. He's wrong too.

There are NO noodles at all on this plate. And two different types of sausage. And of course, this being a buffet, one can refill the plate to your heart's content.

7 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

There are NO noodles at all on this plate. And two different types of sausage. And of course, this being a buffet, one can refill the plate to your heart's content.

yeah my bad, think It's squirty mustard I can see, never bought it so maybe that's what it is, feel free to enlighten or correct me.....

9 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

I won't get together with hmficc thanks, 2 wrongs . . . . . and all that . . . . 

these buffets are not usually that great unless you goto an expensive one like at a top hotel.

it takes a lot of work to keep the stations clean the the food fresh and appitizing.

what you usually get if you not one of the first ones in is stuff thats been sitting, a mess with food spilled around the trays and even people touching the food, etc like the lower class chinese will do.

On 8/7/2019 at 3:22 PM, vagabond48 said:

The Grandview was just as we remembered it and very busy. When we got there at 12noonish, all the inside tables were reserved. The food selection was about the same as we remembered it including the dessert. At 199B, it is definitely a better value the Lotus at their asking price of 299B.

http://www.chiangmaigrandview.com

Is this the Grandview buffet that you have mentioned?

5 hours ago, EricTh said:

http://www.chiangmaigrandview.com

Is this the Grandview buffet that you have mentioned?

Yes, it is.  I don't particularly care for the buffet here, as the selection of main dishes seems limited. Tastes good, but limited choice. I prefer the buffet at the Empress Hotel. My wife, however. does like the Grandview because the selection of fruits and desert pastries is rather large, and she goes there with her friends often.

But for good food, nice selection, and absurdly LOW cost, my money is still on the German buffet, Auf der Au. 

8 hours ago, EricTh said:

Do we get a discount for members? How much do they charge for membership?

Yes, there IS a discount for members, but I don't remember what the actual charge for membership is. If you eat there a few times a year, it's worth it, though.

i went to Auf der Au yedterday to check out what the fuss is about.

the spread looked good, but not much seating at all. only three or so small tables on the patio maybe there is more upstairs?? not sure.

do they really let you eat all you want? proprietors were right there watching seems like they may say something if i had more then two full plates.

i think it was 269 baht. did not partake, instead going to two different restaurants to eat. i will go in next time IF i can really just sit there and eat all i want. thats about $8 so its going to be three full plates and taking a table for an hour.

6 hours ago, fhickson said:

the spread looked good, but not much seating at all. only three or so small tables on the patio maybe there is more upstairs?? not sure.

do they really let you eat all you want? proprietors were right there watching seems like they may say something if i had more then two full plates.

i think it was 269 baht. did not partake, instead going to two different restaurants to eat. i will go in next time IF i can really just sit there and eat all i want. thats about $8 so its going to be three full plates and taking a table for an hour.

They also have an A/C room across the driveway, but it's ALWAYS full. 140 Baht 7:30 to 14:00. Not sure what the dinner buffet costs as I haven't been, but I have been to their Nong Hoi location for dinner many times and it's around 250 Baht as I recall.

18 hours ago, fhickson said:

We went again yesterday as well, but we must have gone to different restaurants. While there are three tables on the patio (we always sit in the corner one that holds four people,) there is seating for a total of 14 on the patio; one table for 6, and two tables for 4 people each. Inside, there is seating for an additional 24 people, as well as the air conditioned room across the driveway.  It's generally one seat per person, but how many seats do you usually require?  Typically, the majority of guests are Thai (despite the lack of rice... *eye-roll*) but it does get an unusually large percentage of foreigners.

You seem to have had an "Oliver Twist" upbringing! It's a buffet. Of course they let you eat as much as you want. The proprietors ARE right there, but they are making sure that you DO have everything you want, as good restaurateurs will, not checking to see how much you eat.

i think it was 269 baht. did not partake,

If you had, you would know that it is 140 baht, and you would have some factual knowledge about the restaurant

im huge and will make a dent in the buffet. ive also been know to let off some gas now and again, especially after ive eaten german food.

ill show up drunk and ask for a 'cop, a german and a frankfurter' really loud when ordering and everyone will turn around and stare, then laugh.

in my mind what i thought i said was ill have a frankfurter, please, with german mustard, but it came out wrong because i was wasted.

You are getting all confused, folkguitar about the time of dining and the cost. Brkfst, 140 baht. Not brkfst, 260 baht. (Disclaimer; i never ate brkfst there and ate dinner once only) but this is what i have learned about the time/cost.

Lunch ???

That's the thing about the Grandview: only lunch, never Sunday, and one price only, 199 baht. Has Japanese sushi things (rice/fish/seaweed), other rice dishes, potatoes, vegies (many), various northern Thai dishes, meat including fish, chicken, pork (i don't know about beef, i don't choose it), soups, raw salads, cold cuts, cakes and pies, Thai desserts, fruits, coffee....and they have hundreds of clean plates ready to fill.

And may i add that at Auf der Au, i found no mention, or suggestion, of using a clean plate each time to the food trays. A hygiene and food contamination issue. 

And hickson, i too have heard that germans love raw radishes, those little red ones or hot white ones when drinking beer. What they highly approve of is the fragrance of the flatulence (farts) due to the high sulphur content of the raw root. But I won't say anything about the flammability of the farts on these pages, i'm too discrete.

Archived