BANGKOK
Teresita

Good quality Art Materials in Chiang Mai

Hi Arty people of Chiang Mai

I'd like to know where to get good quality art materials like watercolor and oil paints, papers as well as brushes

your local expertise would be most appreciated

Airport Plaza - 3B? - also a book/media/stationery store..... Inside Robinson's at the 4th floor - possibly the 3rd....

The back corner opposite the stationery section....Lots of artist supplies.....Looks to be of the quality for serious artists....

• Like 2

Third floor of the large stationary shop next to the UN Irish Pub. Half the floor is devoted to high quality paints, brushes, papers and canvas, pre-stretched and rolls, frames, easels, etc. Probably the largest selection in Chiang Mai.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Next to Asia books in Maya Mall. Nice art supply shop.

Edited by LomSak27
  • Like 2

Thank you so much everyone for your replies!!!

Perhaps FolkGuitar's suggestion is what I am looking for, all very useful and will keep details and will check them out next time when I am there in March 2020.

I just felt like maybe painting while I am on holiday and also stock up on materials.

Usually I do it in Siam Paragon Bangkok but prefer to do it in a relax city like Chiang Mai.

Kind regards to everyone and thanks again!!

Teresita

• Thanks 1

Actually, Chiang Mai is pretty disappointing when it comes to art supplies...if you are looking for something of the highest quality.  I've been to all of the places mentioned, and they are the best in town, but if you are looking for something specific, I would try to buy it in Bangkok.  I used to live near Rayong.  Up north, I've never seen the paper and drawing material you could get down there.

• Like 1

Hi Luther

I lived in Rayong myself for a time.

So you think stick to Bangkok for quality?

Because if that is the case I will stop in Bangkok for a night before my trip up north to buy some materials.

Where would you buy in Bangkok this days, still Siam Paragon? any other suggestions?

cheers 

Teresita

I don't know where to go in Bangkok anymore.  I was mostly after the highest quality paper.  It was imported from Italy and other European countries.

Chiang Mai is noted for being a good source of handmade mulberry bark paper known locally as gra-daht saa.

All kinds of weights, textures, and colors are available for fine arts projects and craftwork. It is made in villages - notably Bo Sang - outside town and sold in Chiang Mai shops.                                I buy mine at HQ PaperMaker on Samlan Rd. near Wat Pra Sing.

Good luck with your creative work.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Teresita said:

Do you use fabriano paper?

I mainly use it

Never seen it in Chiang Mai but would love to know of a source.  Probably can be ordered. 

This gallery is good...http://www.hqpapermaker.com/

There is a lesser known shop near the Railway Station, that has a surprisingly large inventory. My take is that a lot of their customers are Payup students.

Drive south on Rotfai Road from RR station about 1 km. Shop is on the right before the (first) intersection with Sanna Lung Rd. Look for a pile of boxes out front.

clickee:

art supply near RR station

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi JingerBen

I know the shop I buy there every time I ma in Chiang Mai!

I am like a kid in a sweets shops

• Like 1