Good quality Art Materials in Chiang Mai

Teresita

Airport Plaza - 3B? - also a book/media/stationery store..... Inside Robinson's at the 4th floor - possibly the 3rd....

The back corner opposite the stationery section....Lots of artist supplies.....Looks to be of the quality for serious artists....

Third floor of the large stationary shop next to the UN Irish Pub. Half the floor is devoted to high quality paints, brushes, papers and canvas, pre-stretched and rolls, frames, easels, etc. Probably the largest selection in Chiang Mai.

Thank you so much everyone for your replies!!!

Perhaps FolkGuitar's suggestion is what I am looking for, all very useful and will keep details and will check them out next time when I am there in March 2020.

I just felt like maybe painting while I am on holiday and also stock up on materials.

Usually I do it in Siam Paragon Bangkok but prefer to do it in a relax city like Chiang Mai.

Kind regards to everyone and thanks again!!

Teresita

Actually, Chiang Mai is pretty disappointing when it comes to art supplies...if you are looking for something of the highest quality.  I've been to all of the places mentioned, and they are the best in town, but if you are looking for something specific, I would try to buy it in Bangkok.  I used to live near Rayong.  Up north, I've never seen the paper and drawing material you could get down there.

Hi Luther

I lived in Rayong myself for a time.

So you think stick to Bangkok for quality?

Because if that is the case I will stop in Bangkok for a night before my trip up north to buy some materials.

Where would you buy in Bangkok this days, still Siam Paragon? any other suggestions?

cheers 

Teresita

Chiang Mai is noted for being a good source of handmade mulberry bark paper known locally as gra-daht saa.

All kinds of weights, textures, and colors are available for fine arts projects and craftwork. It is made in villages - notably Bo Sang - outside town and sold in Chiang Mai shops.                                I buy mine at HQ PaperMaker on Samlan Rd. near Wat Pra Sing.

Good luck with your creative work.

There is a lesser known shop near the Railway Station, that has a surprisingly large inventory. My take is that a lot of their customers are Payup students.

Drive south on Rotfai Road from RR station about 1 km. Shop is on the right before the (first) intersection with Sanna Lung Rd. Look for a pile of boxes out front.

clickee:

art supply near RR station

5 hours ago, Teresita said:

Hi JingerBen

I know the shop I buy there every time I ma in Chiang Mai!

I am like a kid in a sweets shops

Hi Teresita,

I share your interest in sourcing out high quality art materials in or near Chiang Mai. 

In the 40+ years that I've been living here full or part-time I've never found a really good selection of artist's oil paints, a wide range of mediums, or heavy-weight linen canvas.

However, some things are available, for instance: alkyd medium, both W/N Liquin and Lefranc & Bourgeois are easy to find. Don't look for sable brushes. What's on offer doesn't even come close.

That said, Chiang Mai has a long and unbroken history of producing craftwork of the highest excellence. 

Many are the local tools and materials that can be used by an artist visiting from another culture and country.

Choke dee.

Hi JingerBen

I know the shop I buy there every time I ma in Chiang Mai!

I am like a kid in a sweets shops

Hi JIngerBen

I will stick to Bangkok in that case.

But will buy more papers when I am in Chiang Mai.

Do you have any recommendations of places to exhibit, galleries open to farang exhibition?

ขอบคุณ

K̄hxbkhuṇ

Before you exhibit artwork, find out what is needed from immigration in the way of work permits. Chiang Mai isn't the easy-going place it once was regarding visas and work related issues. It's still possible to show your artwork, you just have to jump through a few hoops, that's all. 

Once the bureaucratic hassles are out of the way you're spoiled for choice when it comes to venues. There are galleries, exhibition spaces, and many good restaurants that exhibit paintings.

Chiang Mai has never had more gallery space or more interest shown by young people for creative work.

Welcome whenever you come.

Hi JingerBen

Thanks!

where would I go to find out about the visas to exhibit. Not living in the country.

Your advice is much appreciated 

Would love to catch up when I'm next in CM in March 2020 in boxed me with email.

The visa situation for farangs who want to work here - even volunteer work - is a mine field strewn with banana peels.

Try to get some information from a Thai consulate in your home country about what kind of a visa you will need to apply for a permit to exhibit artwork.

If you can't sort things out before you come, then it might be a good idea to contact a reputable visa agency here in Chiang Mai. 

It takes patience at first, but after a while you get to know how things work and you can even - to a certain extent - game the system.

All the best.

• 2 weeks later...

I recommend pay a visit to บริษัท โมเดิร์น เอ็ดดูเคชั่น มอลล์ จำกัด สาขาสันกำแพง outside of the main city area. It is a large educational supplies store that the school I head uses for many art supplies. They can do specials orders also. Hope that helps you.

Archived