BANGKOK
MeePeeMai

Mae Sai "No Border Runs" sign at Immigration.

Posted (edited)

Here another recent report from me (but i had a METV):

11 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

but the BIB were only interested in checking on the Burmese/Laos/Cambodians not the farangs

They are looking for Burmese citizens who enter Thailand illegally, so they check ID / passport of anybody who could possibly be Burmese, including Thais.

Edited by jackdd

Just now, ubonjoe said:

The sign has been reported as being up for many years.

No problem to doa  border hop for a visa exempt entry there since the 2 per calendar year at land border crossings went into effect.

I understand but he was specifically told by an IO in Chang Mai that a border run to Mae Sai was not possible for him and that he could not get a 30 day stamp there.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

I understand but he was specifically told by an IO in Chang Mai that a border run to Mae Sai was not possible for him and that he could not get a 30 day stamp there.

Probably because they did have a clue about what is allowed there.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

He said his bus was stopped several times on the way back to Chang Mai at police checkpoints but the BIB were only interested in checking on the Burmese/Laos/Cambodians not the farangs.

Here an example of a checkpoint. Two Thai people are checked, asked for ID cards and even have to show the under seat storage of their motorbike. Farang can just pass through:

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Here an example of a checkpoint. Two Thai people are checked, asked for ID cards and even have to show the under seat storage of their motorbike. Farang can just pass through:

Maybe they are just looking for drug mules?

2 hours ago, MeePeeMai said:

It has been known that one should take what individual IOs say with a pinch of salt. Still, the sign is there, so maybe the IO in Chiang Mai just wanted to 'warn' as a favour, while being unclear about the actual situation.

• Like 1

Useful to know as I did a crossing in April this year and will need to do another one there in December.

I wasn't aware of this walking across the border 2 limit rule in a calendar year. Does it apply to all visas and exemptions?

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, stament said:

Useful to know as I did a crossing in April this year and will need to do another one there in December.

I wasn't aware of this walking across the border 2 limit rule in a calendar year. Does it apply to all visas and exemptions?

Two visa exempts per calender year at land borders. If you have a visa you can enter at land borders as often as you want.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, stament said:

Does it apply to all visas and exemptions?

It is only for 30 day visa exempt entries. There is no limit if you have a valid visa for entry.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, jackdd said:

That seems not to be the main road but the road running along the border for several kilometers, isn't it ?
Usually cars get checked going in, go on record, and are verified for passengers and bags against record when leaving that stretch of road. No shit !
And I do understand the rationale completely and have no problem with that.