Non-O (ED) Visa Application Mess

What is the current climate like in applying for Tourist Visas in Vientiane? I was waiting to travel up to Vientiane to apply for my ED visa but my language has school just told me I will have to cancel the trip and re-apply again. They said the rules have just changed and we can no longer apply for level 1 and 2 for a Thai language course, instead we can only apply for level 1. Of course my application was sent off right before this apparent sudden change of rule. The language school said my application will surely be rejected if I attempt to go through with it. They also said this is so far only effective in Vientiane and Savannaket, as of yesterday. The problem is, I will have to leave the country by the 12th August, which leaves me no time to re-apply for the ED visa and get the approval letter back in time.

I think my only choice is to go for a Tourist Visa in Vientiane to buy time, and hope that I'm let back in. However, I have already done 2 in-out border runs (exemption stamps) this year and my passport has 5 Tourist Visas dating back to 2017. I know this will surely alert Immigration and the consulate officers, so I'm wondering what my chances are of getting back into the country... I could bring my language school receipts to show and try to explain my situation but I doubt that would really help my cause. What other options do I have? What do you think my best choice is? All i  need is one extra month to buy time so I can re-submit my ED-visa application. 

Rock and hard place. You have had 5 TV. Did not mention if you extended. Same for your 2 border entries. Even with a setv you could easily be knocked back at bkk airports. How many of those 5 were from Vientiane? I will be interested in the experts opinions. Depending on your situation you might wish think about break for Thailand more than few days. Assuming not an option you will need setv and enter via border. 

Edited by DrJack54

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Rock and hard place. You have had 5 TV. Did not mention if you extended. Same for your 2 border entries. Even with a setv you could easily be knocked back at bkk airports. How many of those 5 were from Vientiane? I will be interested in the experts opinions. Depending on your situation you might wish think about break for Thailand more than few days. Assuming not an option you will need setv and enter via border. 

Correction: I have 6 TVs in my passport. The first was from Vientiane, second from London and the latest 4 were all from Vientiane. 
I would try to cross over the Friendship Bridge at Nong Khai. I'm aware arriving at either of the Bangkok airports is a big no. My main worry is having my TV application rejected in Vientiane, which would leave me completely stuck in no man's land. 

56 minutes ago, Silentwalker said:

Correction: I have 6 TVs in my passport. The first was from Vientiane, second from London and the latest 4 were all from Vientiane. 
I would try to cross over the Friendship Bridge at Nong Khai. I'm aware arriving at either of the Bangkok airports is a big no. My main worry is having my TV application rejected in Vientiane, which would leave me completely stuck in no man's land. 

5 from Vientiane? I might be wrong but some reports indicate change of attitude at Vientiane from the good old days. Think you might try elsewhere. Plenty of options elsewhere. Some people go to KL. Personally not a fan. I would prefer Laos.

34 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

5 from Vientiane? I might be wrong but some reports indicate change of attitude at Vientiane from the good old days. Think you might try elsewhere. Plenty of options elsewhere. Some people go to KL. Personally not a fan. I would prefer Laos.

Yes, I believe they have tightened up a lot there which is why I'm so apprehensive about going. My friend received a red stamp at the end of last year but to be honest I would gladly accept that now just so I can get back in and sort out my ED visa application. I think Malaysia may be a safer option for me, as I have never been there. However that would mean crossing back into Thailand through a land border, and then presumably making my way to Hat Yai to get a flight back to Bangkok.

51 minutes ago, Silentwalker said:

Yes, I believe they have tightened up a lot there which is why I'm so apprehensive about going. My friend received a red stamp at the end of last year but to be honest I would gladly accept that now just so I can get back in and sort out my ED visa application. I think Malaysia may be a safer option for me, as I have never been there. However that would mean crossing back into Thailand through a land border, and then presumably making my way to Hat Yai to get a flight back to Bangkok.

Where do you live? Just another option but maybe not suit. I love Saigon. Actually right now there. You could obtain setv at Saigon consulate. Good city good consulate. Easy place to chill. The problem then is greeting back via border. 

You could fly to PP and enter anywhere except Poipet. Yes long way round but your options limited.

38 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Where do you live? Just another option but maybe not suit. I love Saigon. Actually right now there. You could obtain setv at Saigon consulate. Good city good consulate. Easy place to chill. The problem then is greeting back via border. 

You could fly to PP and enter anywhere except Poipet. Yes long way round but your options limited.

I live in Bangkok. My language school actually told me that I could still fly to Vietnam to obtain the ED visa, but I thought it would be a problem as I'd then have to fly back in to Bangkok (yes, traveling back via land border would be a headache). I'm not sure how strict they are with people flying into the Bangkok airports on an ED visa. So here I am debating whether I should go to Vietnam and try to fly back in on the non-o ED or try to get one more TV in Vientiane. It's a case of 'which option is less dangerous'... 

If I were you, I'd go to Saigon, get the ED visa, then fly to Vientiane.. Enter at Nong Khai, make your way down to Bangkok.

The flights into Vientiane are not the cheapest, but it's the closest major airport to the Thai border.