Driving through Bangkok

This suggestion may not suit you, but I catch the 5pm ferry from Samui and drive non-stop (apart from petrol and comfort breaks) arriving and driving through Bangkok around 3-4 am.

All roads including the tollways are virtually empty and driving through Bangkok is a breeze.

I would never now consider driving through in daytime.

1 hour ago, Tmoney said:

This suggestion may not suit you, but I catch the 5pm ferry from Samui and drive non-stop (apart from petrol and comfort breaks) arriving and driving through Bangkok around 3-4 am.

All roads including the tollways are virtually empty and driving through Bangkok is a breeze.

I would never now consider driving through in daytime.

I have not driven to BKK for some years now but I too used to drive through the evening/night.

Much cooler and very little traffic.

16 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I always found driving through BKK centre on the toll road/motorway much quicker than going around BKK on the ringroads.

Yeah, straight through past Swampy, there's always traffic but it clears pretty rapidly once past the centre.

I avoid the ring-road like the plague, if it's not stopped it's a race-track.

Google Maps live traffic is pretty good for up to the minute re-routes.

To all those who answered my question, many thanks, it has changed my thinking as i previously took the early morning ferry. This is common sense really. I am just concerned that i might be accidentally diverted off the direct route, hoping that it is easily followed via the signposts.

Regards to all.

Traffic depends a lot on time of day and whether or not there is a holiday etc etc. 

Don't go anywhere near Suvarnabhumi.    Its in the wrong direction for Si Sa Ket.

I used to use route 9 a lot despite what my Google Maps kept telling me to the contrary....until one day i decided to follow Google straight through BKk on the expressways....... It knocked a good half hour off my journey time.

The moral is use Google maps and trust what they say about traffic on the day. Route 9 is seldom the solution.

On 7/28/2019 at 11:02 AM, Isaanbiker said:

Best way would be to take the 24 after Saraburi. Pathum Thani then Saraburi. Of course depending on the time you're driving. Please see map. 

Screenshot (30).png

am OK with this part of the journey thanks, just through Bangkok that has me worried.

Archived