Fast Internet Places Jomtein Pattaya 8pm onwards?

G007

Are there any places where I can assess fast business strength internet after 8pm in the Jomtein (preferred) or the closer Pattaya area?

i am here for a month, need to keep remote working into EU, need strong internet to support Skype Out calls after 8pm - 11.30pm ish There’s a co-working place here in Jomtein but it closes at 8pm and the WiFi in the condo is not reliable enough to support a consistent clear Skype Out call.

Any suggestions or locations with strong enough internet and quiet enough to make business calls? 

Thanks! 

Try mobile broadband in the first instance. 

I was able to attain 20 Mbps on a 20 Mbps connection with DTAC at my location near Jomtien beach.

I had a 4G MiFi unit.

So first of all, get one of each SIM and run a speed test on a day pack. Then get an appropriate package with the one that offers the highest speeds.

Would I get that mobile broadband SIM in any of the local mobile phone shops or somewhere else? I’m not familiar at all re local services so any extra info you can give me to what, where and how to get this would be gratefully appreciated please? Thanks in advance.

I would send you to the CAT office in Pattaya Tai, but since they are closed at the weekend, you won't get to test them until Monday.

They have a one month of unlimited data at 8 Mbps(1 MB/s) for 727 baht inclusive.

Since I had good results with DTAC, I would try them first. But of course I don't know your location.

Any shop would do, but they would likely charge more for a basic SIM. It should be around 50 baht at a DTAC service centre. Central Festival and Big C Pattaya and Big C Sukhumvit have service centres, from memory.

Then to try it with a 10 Mbps day pack; http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/products/go-no-limit.html or perhaps just a day pack of 500 MB in order to test the speed at your location.

Similarly with AIS or Truemove H. You cannot assume that advertised speeds are what you will achieve in your location. You have to test them at your location.

In my location in Jomtien, AIS was abysmal and DTAC fantastic. In my Pattaya location, AIS good with DTAC and Truemove H quite poor. But then if I moved to the other side of my building, DTAC improved.

So the only way to be sure is to test them with a short term data pack, in order to run speed tests.

The missing link is of course the 'modem'. What will you use? Your phone? What phone do you have?

I’m in Jomtein area and got a True Move sim the other day for local calls. Perhaps I can try get the mobile broadband day pack on this number as my first test from my Jomtein location. 

46 minutes ago, G007 said:

Great I’ll give this a shot, thank you very much. I’ve an iphone 6i 

You can use it's Personal HotSpot function, though it's probably better to have a dedicated device.

Either way, you can use your iPhone to test the SIMs. 

AIS and Truemove aren't offering unlimited data to new customers.

AIS at the moment is offering 100 GB of data for 200 baht for new SIM activated before the end of this month. The caveat is that the speed is limited to 4 Mbps(0.5 MB/s). You should be able to pick up a SIM from their service centre in Central Festival for 50 baht. You then, turn off data temporarily so as not to accidentally use up any credit, then top up with 200 baht and dial in *777*909# and hit the dial key. Once you get confirmation that the package has been applied, you can turn data back on.

4 minutes ago, G007 said:

I’m in Jomtein area and got a True Move sim the other day for local calls. Perhaps I can try get the mobile broadband day pack on this number as my first test from my Jomtein location. 

Truemove H don't offer unlimited data packs to new customers. So even if you could attain high speed with them, you would probably have to purchase a volume data pack.

For example, they do sell a 7 day 10 Mbps(1.25 MB/s) data pack for 353.10 baht. But it is limited to 14 GB of data.

If you are only writing about audio calls, then you should be fine with even 4 Mbps. Then the volume of data is not as much of an issue. But if you are intending to make video calls, it would be better to have the extra headroom.

Either way MyByCAT would be the best value, as a single package would cover the whole month.

MyByCAT location

With your Truemove H SIM; You can try *900*1923# and then to press the Dial key to apply for 400 MB over a day for 16.05 baht or *900*1922# and then the dial key for 200 MB for 9.63 baht for the purpose of testing.

If you want more data than that for testing, try *900*1924# Dial for 1.5 GB of data over a day for 41.73 baht.

That’s great thank you v much. Yes it’s only audio Skype Out calls I’ll be doing. 

I’ll try Truemove first. 

I find when visiting Thailand it’s best to have several methods and back up plans for work/business related internet calls. 

On 7/21/2019 at 4:14 AM, G007 said:

That’s great thank you v much. Yes it’s only audio Skype Out calls I’ll be doing. 

I’ll try Truemove first. 

I find when visiting Thailand it’s best to have several methods and back up plans for work/business related internet calls. 

Probably too late for the Truemove H SIM that you have now, but if you obtain a new 4G SIM, you can activate a package that gives you 100 GB per month with the speed capped at 4 Mbps(0.5 MB/s) for 200 baht per month.

But you need to apply the package with seven days of activating the SIM.

To do so, turn off data, not the phone signal(so as to not utilise data accidentally) apply 200 baht of credit and then tap in *900*9605# and then press the Dial key. Once the SMS confirmation arrives, you can switch data to On.

The package can run for as long as twelve months. just make sure there is 200 baht worth of credit available prior to the monthly renewal date.

Archived