SURVEY: Marijuana – Hope for the sick or an excuse to get high?

Scott

SURVEY: Marijuana – Hope for the sick or an excuse to get high?  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There have been a number of threads on the the legal changes in the laws regarding marijuana.   Recently, the tourism minister suggested that marijuana and Thai massage could bring European tourists back.    In your opinion, which of the following best describes your opinion on medical marijuana?  

Please feel free to leave a comment.

Reference articles:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1112551-new-minister-hopes-to-have-medical-marijuana-prescribed-from-august/

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1112819-free-trade-in-marijuana-will-do-more-bad-than-good-warns-academic/

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always been a little bit suspicious.   Most of the people I know who seem to go after marijuana for medical purposes seem to be really, really knowledgeable about the substance all ready.

The poll and its choices are kind of loaded. It has medicinal properties, thats a proven fact and most people probably do just want to 'get high' and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Alcohol is a legal, intoxicating substance which is literally a poison that has a whole slew of negative effects and thats apparently no problem, but a little puff puff pass and a half a bag of Doritos is the devils lettuce to some. 

If alcohol is the accepted global legal intoxicant, then thats our benchmark. And marijuana is safer than alcohol by just about every available metric, so it should be legalized based on that fact alone. 

Now add in its medicinal properties, and its a winner. IMO you should be able to buy it like you do cigarettes or alcohol or whatever else. 

And I do think legalizing it in Thailand would bring quite a few 'european' tourists.

The medically beneficial compound in marijuana is Cannabidol (CBD).  This is readily available in many sources especially hemp.  However no-one is pushing for any of those because they do not contain the psychoactive THC found in marijuana.  People want to legalize marijuana solely to get high.  I don't have a problem with that but claiming it is for medical benefits is a complete lie.

As other stuff has already "pointed out", it should be handled like in Holland. I'm just wondering when the first hand rolled Afghani, or Zero Zero from Morocco will be available for the suffering?

Well, will Thailand get back to their roots and produce Thai sticks again

The poll and its choices are kind of loaded. It has medicinal properties, thats a proven fact and most people probably do just want to 'get high' and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Alcohol is a legal, intoxicating substance which is literally a poison that has a whole slew of negative effects and thats apparently no problem, but a little puff puff pass and a half a bag of Doritos is the devils lettuce to some. 

If alcohol is the accepted global legal intoxicant, then thats our benchmark. And marijuana is safer than alcohol by just about every available metric, so it should be legalized based on that fact alone. 

Now add in its medicinal properties, and its a winner. IMO you should be able to buy it like you do cigarettes or alcohol or whatever else. 

And I do think legalizing it in Thailand would bring quite a few 'european' tourists.

I thought it is not difficult to see the disastrous effects of alcohol and cigarettes but because this is legal also cannabis should be legalised? And if this happens what is next step XTC?
So besides the drunks, we should now also tolerate pot-heads? It won’t take long before new cannabis strains are developed which will be far more potent. In my opinion, a bad decision..

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, luk AJ said:

I thought it is not difficult to see the disastrous effects of alcohol and cigarettes but because this is legal also cannabis should be legalised? And if this happens what is next step XTC?
So besides the drunks, we should now also tolerate pot-heads? It won’t take long before new cannabis strains are developed which will be far more potent. In my opinion, a bad decision..

Do you drink? 

3 hours ago, Credo said:

I've always been a little bit suspicious.   Most of the people I know who seem to go after marijuana for medical purposes seem to be really, really knowledgeable about the substance all ready.

You don't think people who seek medical intervention should be really, really knowledgeable?  legalize it and let individuals decide for themselves.

Personally I don't care what people take to get through life as long as they don't impose on me or others.

47 minutes ago, futsukayoi said:

The medically beneficial compound in marijuana is Cannabidol (CBD).  This is readily available in many sources especially hemp.  However no-one is pushing for any of those because they do not contain the psychoactive THC found in marijuana.  People want to legalize marijuana solely to get high.  I don't have a problem with that but claiming it is for medical benefits is a complete lie.

I agree that many including myself enjoy the psychoactive aspect,but I do disagree that everybody who wants to legalise it only wants to get high for the reason the cannabis oil can and does contain both compounds one can enjoy both medicinal and psychoactive effects of the oil.I would also like to see the hemp industry revived for the many many useful and organic products like paper, building, materials ,oil, seed etc,the list is quite huge and as I've said before the industrial aspect side of the hemp plant often gets lost in the "reefer madness" arguments in the legalisation debate,Industrial hemp has extremely low psychoactive levels which begs the question why is it still illegal to grow here? 

1 hour ago, futsukayoi said:

To say that there are no medical benefits attached to THC is just not accurate. I agree that many, I hesitate to say most, just want to get high. You can easily research this yourself...just google medical benefits of THC. Peace.

1 hour ago, futsukayoi said:

The medically beneficial compound in marijuana is Cannabidol (CBD).  This is readily available in many sources especially hemp.  However no-one is pushing for any of those because they do not contain the psychoactive THC found in marijuana.

Oh there is a BUNCH of CBD sellers and its quite popular. 

When I first came here in the 1970s I would buy it from a fortune teller lady who worked from a blanket on the sidewalk near Hualumpong.  Good stuff.  A few years later, I was back and she was still there, but when she saw me approaching her she shoo'd me away.  I can't say if she recognized me, she probably got most of her business from the Thai Song Greet crowd.

Just legalize the stuff, it's no big deal, these debates about it are just nonsense. 

There was the side effect that it causes paranoia, but that has been remedied.  The solution to the problem is legalization.

22 minutes ago, luk AJ said:

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The justification for legalizing pot is not that alcohol and cigarettes are legal. To me, the justification is that thousands of people have been and are incarcerated for what I see as a benign personal action that does no harm to me or society. Maybe tolerance is a good thing. Too many people these days are "offended" by things that have absolutely nothing to do with them (IMHO).

53 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

hOw Do YoU gEt HiGh On MeDiCaL mArIjUaNa?

Wow!  When I look at your message through a mirror, and reflect it through a quartz crystal, it says "I buried Paul" !!!

14 minutes ago, bendejo said:

When I first came here in the 1970s I would buy it from a fortune teller lady who worked from a blanket on the sidewalk near Hualumpong.  Good stuff.  A few years later, I was back and she was still there, but when she saw me approaching her she shoo'd me away.  I can't say if she recognized me, she probably got most of her business from the Thai Song Greet crowd.

Just legalize the stuff, it's no big deal, these debates about it are just nonsense. 

There was the side effect that it causes paranoia, but that has been remedied.  The solution to the problem is legalization.

Huh? paranoia?  are YOU NUTZ?  are you part of the deep state against legalization?  are you watching me through my cam?  I know you are there damn you!  ????

2 hours ago, futsukayoi said:

I respectfully say that you are wrong. Both the CBD and THC provides significant medical benefits. Especially children with epileptic seizures ....... It is the THC component that reduces the number of seizures per day. I could go on and on with other examples.....

What does it matter? Maybe they'd be better off making tobacco illegal, as it is guaranteed to kill, whereas I've never heard of ganja killing anyone. The only thing it does seem to do is enhance life in a myriad of ways.

The government can make all the noise it wants about their 'reasons' for legalizing weed, but this is Thailand and the only thing that ever matters is money, no matter how rich or poor.

Archived