Why did u guys choose Thailand over the Philippines??

Lemonlime

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Better food, better infrastructure, and it's safer in Thailand. I've driven my motorbike everywhere in Thailand at all hours of the day and night, and have never had trouble or felt unsafe. The extreme poverty in PI is a huge turnoff. However, the big plus for the Philippines is that English is widely spoken and it's easier to relate to people. 

I never looked at the Philippines. Came her for a good job opportunity decades ago. More than happy.

I have visited the Philippines 3 times for work matters. Every time less then satisfied with work progress etc. One time a hand guns brawl broke out on the work site. My team, including 3 Japanese engineers fled. Police refuse to come they are frightened by both gangs.

Went to the Philippines to meet a woman met on the internet, early days for that as in 1996, she was a banker from Oregon. She grew up in Zambuanga and had body guards when growing up. She was back there to sort out her brothers affairs who had been kidnapped by Islamic militants for ransom, betrayed by his bodyguards but it went wrong and they killed him after the money was paid.

The only place I have ever been mugged was at 8.30 on a Sunday morning in Manila, I tried going to Angeles while she went off to Zambuanga but found that depressing, the girls were far worse than Thai sex workers, some were 'cherry girls' who did not put out others were fond of taking the money (paid up front then) then not putting out. Roxas boulevard in Manila had been cleaned up by then, so yes you can stamp out the sex trade if determined. The whole atmosphere seemed to have an air of desperation about it with people trying to get out of the place, you could not even get into the airport without a ticket. Added to that it's the only place I got serious food poisoning and that must have been from a 5 star Hotel. Some nice people but a horrible depressing place.

2 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Went to to Philippines to meet a woman met on the internet, early days for that as in 1996, she was a banker from Oregon. She grew up in Zambuanga and had body guards when growing up. She was back there to sort out her brothers affairs who had been kidnapped by Islamic militants for ransom, betrayed by his bodyguards but it went wrong and they killed him after the money was paid.

The only place I have ever been mugged was at 8.30 on a Sunday morning in Manila, I tried going to Angeles while she went off to Zambuanga but found that depressing, the girls were far worse than Thai sex workers, some were 'cherry girls' who did not put out others were fond of taking the money (paid up front then) then not putting out. Roxas boulevard in Manila had been cleaned up by then, so yes you can stamp out the sex trade if determined. The whole atmosphere seemed to have an air of desperation about it with people trying to get out of the place, you could not even get into the airport without a ticket. Added to that it's the only place I got serious food poisoning and that must have been from a 5 star Hotel. Some nice people but a horrible depressing place.

Years back at doors to big shopping malls armed guards closely checked everybody. Most were turned away. If you did get in good chance to get repeatedly hassled by working girls and boys.   

Back in the 70' to the 90' the PH was a haven for all kind of mongers, babes galore, nightlife and bars as far as the eyes can see and the wallet can pay, than it's all come to a screeching halt getting worse by the year so much so that now the PH has nothing much to offer or write home about unless  you care to enjoy the beautiful scenery and nature that the PH is blessed with...

Previous posts have covered issues about safety, bodyguards and security. (Huge minus.)

A big one for me (and I was friendly with a young lady in the Philippines for a while) - never found any good local food. Even the 'foreign' food was different. Great beer though.

Spent a lot of time in PI late 70's, early 80's and again now if my work takes me there. The way they speak English bugs me to no end, why is it every lady has that black mole next to nose. Now granted if you're a beach guy I'd bet PI wins hands down. Western food is better in my opinion. My view is skewed as I have mainly been to Subic and Barretto area. From stories told by Filipino's giving handouts to family, neighbors and friends is a big problem because they're US citizens and of course they must be rich.

In Thailand the farang feels less targeted and ignored if that's what you want. Also the filipinas would like nothing more than to be brought to your home country especially US. Thai ladies not so much.

On 7/21/2019 at 9:53 AM, Tropicalevo said:

Previous posts have covered issues about safety, bodyguards and security. (Huge minus.)

A big one for me (and I was friendly with a young lady in the Philippines for a while) - never found any good local food. Even the 'foreign' food was different. Great beer though.

Sure but beer (like most things) is personal taste. I found Phils. beer to be tasteless.

1 hour ago, animalmagic said:

More ex wives in Philippines than Thailand! 

Decades back many Phils. students in Melbourne and Sydney, all well known for regular drama about everything and anything and always unreliable. Had friends in Melbourne who had hosted Asian students for years from Indonesia and never a problem. They accepted 2 new uni boys from Phils., continuous problems from day 1. 

2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Decades back many Phils. students in Melbourne and Sydney, all well known for regular drama about everything and anything and always unreliable. Had friends in Melbourne who had hosted Asian students for years from Indonesia and never a problem. They accepted 2 new uni boys from Phils., continuous problems from day 1. 

Funny I heard the same thing about students from Melbourne and Sydney. 

I originally intended spending just a few years in Thailand and then moving to my final retirement destination in the PI. For reasons too long to go into I ended up staying in Thailand, but with the exchange rate and all the nonsense here now I'm thinking seriously about reverting to Plan A.

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In the the Philippines they understand English. That is a obviously a big disadvantage.

Here in Thailand I can shine with my (limited) Thai when I talk to the innocent up country girls. ???? 

"Innocent girls" , are you talking about virgins ? , girls who havent had sex yet ?

I lived in Australia on the Beach for 6 years, so nice beaches really don't interest me anymore. Had a few Filipina GF in Turkey and Korea. lots of baggage. Not interested in the young girls. Married a Beautiful Thai woman closer to my age that treats me well and not interested in going to USA except for tourist. We built a nice home in CM and I retired here. Not bad. Loving life so far. 

Wife and I moved to Thailand in November 2017, both American.

I have worked with plenty of people that gave lived in, or still live in Thailand, so started looking into there... 

My wife does not swim, so has zero use for the ocean. I am from Wyoming, she grew up in Kansas, but veen in Wyoming fir 20-some years... 

I know that the 1st Hurricane she went thru, ae would immediately have to move back to the USA.

Archived