Man who was jailed in Thailand for stealing a dressing gown returns to Australia - gets arrested

rooster59

Man who was jailed in Thailand for stealing a dressing gown returns to Australia - gets arrested

prison.jpg

A man who spent almost a year in jail in Thailand for stealing a dressing gown has been arrested on his return to Australia.

After being released from jail, Steven Villa travelled back to Australia on Friday only to be arrested on arrival for breaching a community corrections order.

According to 7 News, Villa was arrested after arriving in Thailand in September 2018 over the theft of a dressing gown which took place during a previous visit to the country.

He had fled to Thailand despite being the subject of the community corrections order.

Villa then spent the next seven months in jail in Thailand before being released in April this year.

Believing the matter to over, Villa tried to leave Thailand was arrested again and spent another three weeks in an immigration detention centre.

After being in contact with the Australian authorities, he was finally given the OK to leave Thailand.

However, after arriving in Australia on Friday he was arrested again for breaching the community corrections order. 

The order stated he must serve 250 hours community service. Villa says he has already served 80 hours.

"I was not trying to get away from my responsibilities," Villa told Melbourne Magistrate Court on Saturday.

"I have worked really hard to put my life in a positive direction. If I go back to jail that will be a backwards step. I am a changed person."

Villa, who has a history of using crystal methamphetamine, is engaged to a Thai woman who is three months pregnant.

He told the court how he plans to bring his girlfriend and unborn child to Australia, 7 News reported.

Source: 7 News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-21

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No sympathy here, one of them doofuses individuals that will manage to get into troubles and screw their life up wherever they go or whatever they touch, and believe it or not, there're many of these kind of people...

just proves how stupid the thai justice system is, one year in jail for stealing a dressing gown, oh, of course, he is a farang,, do all these people  get their money back when a Thai steals from them ? no, of course not, *sorry, i spent it all*

I hope the embassy has the good sense and reject any visa app the clown lodges.

Good chance the kid isn't even his.

If they get to Australia the first thing they'll do is apply for child support,family allowance,subsidised public transport,free health care for mummy etc

Australia is not Canada. I would extend the excellent 120 point system as well for Thai & Filipino wives . You don't pass the test you don't get in.

35 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

just proves how stupid the thai justice system is, one year in jail for stealing a dressing gown, oh, of course, he is a farang,, do all these people  get their money back when a Thai steals from them ? no, of course not, *sorry, i spent it all*

They tend to be very harsh on crimes against property in Thailand, theft etc.

Harsh!? They're just not as stupid & liberal as they are in the West!

"Under the Criminal Code of Thailand, whoever dishonestly takes away any thing that belongs to another person shall be imprisoned for three years and shall pay a fine of 6,000 Baht". 

46 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

"Under the Criminal Code of Thailand, whoever dishonestly takes away any thing that belongs to another person shall be imprisoned for three years and shall pay a fine of 6,000 Baht". 

The most serious cases involve two or more perps. Two men steal property from a home or attack a woman that's a conspiracy subject to huge prison terms.

1 minute ago, Lucius verus said:

The most serious cases involve two or more perps. Two men steal property from a home or attack a woman that's a conspiracy subject to huge prison terms.

I'm forever seeing cases in the UK where people are given ludicrously lenient sentences. There's a proposal to abolish sentences less than 6 months altogether.

Then again, Thailand has about the same population as the UK, but has triple the prison population.

1 hour ago, Andrew65 said:

Thousands of Thais go unpunished for severe crimes. 

The monkhood has a lot of them & the rest is made to disappear by corruption.

This is one of the most unjust places on Earth

1 hour ago, Andrew65 said:

True and don't forget the extra kick in the pants they'll give you if the crime is after dark......

{Section 335. Certain Types of Theft

Whoever commits theft under any of the following circumstances:
  1. By night;

Shall be punished with imprisonment of one to five years and fined of two thousand to ten thousand Baht.    }

1 minute ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Thousands of Thais go unpunished for severe crimes. 

The monkhood has a lot of them & the rest is made to disappear by corruption.

This is one of the most unjust places on Earth

Thailand has a very weak "rule of law", as The Economist calls it.

As far as the monkhood goes, this seems to be an issue with religious-types worldwide, Catholic priests?!

3 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Thailand has a very weak "rule of law", as The Economist calls it.

As far as the monkhood goes, this seems to be an issue with religious-types worldwide, Catholic priests?!

No juries, being unable to question a judge's decision makes for a very corrupt system.

Also police giving evidence, their word is gospel and pretty much beyond reproach

Rule one in recovery circles never get involved with newly stopped users / addicts.

They are train wrecks.

They have little to no idea who they are, and have in most cases nil capacity at having a reasonably functional relationship with themselves let alone another human being ...  for quite some time in recovery (if he’s even in some process of recovery?). They have even less capacity to be honest with others or self.

the old saying goes:

When do you know an addict is lying? When their lips are moving.

Poor woman I feel for her and her child.

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

He told the court how he plans to bring his girlfriend and unborn child to Australia, 7 News reported.

I'm sure Australia can't wait to welcome her and the brat, and offer them accommodation, free health care and spending drinking money!

There seems to be a part that people are missing.  He skipped the country to beat the wrap.  Only came back because he thought it would have been forgotten.  Evading prosecution tends t add time toa judges decision even in most western countries.

1 hour ago, Seth1a2a said:

True and don't forget the extra kick in the pants they'll give you if the crime is after dark......

{Section 335. Certain Types of Theft

Whoever commits theft under any of the following circumstances:
  1. By night;

Shall be punished with imprisonment of one to five years and fined of two thousand to ten thousand Baht.    }

Its the same in oz.

Break into a house during the day its break and enter. At night its burglary. Different penalties.

20 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Its the same in oz.

Break into a house during the day its break and enter. At night its burglary. Different penalties.

No that used the be the case under Common Law, like England and Wales it’s all burglary in Australia now, with Aggravated Burglary if you are carrying a weapon or know someone is inside. Day or night is irrelevant.

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Villa, who has a history of using crystal methamphetamine, is engaged to a Thai woman who is three months pregnant. He told the court how he plans to bring his girlfriend and unborn child to Australia, 7 News reported.

Something odd or impossible here. He steals things in Thailand rather than paying for them and plans to bring g/f to Australia. So, he is either :

A.   A cleptomanic who is rich or has access to money.

B.   Someone has promised something to his G/f that is very unlikely to happen !

2 hours ago, hobobo said:

I'm sure Australia can't wait to welcome her and the brat, and offer them accommodation, free health care and spending drinking money!

"The Brat"......Are you having a bad day?.....????

Archived