Man who was jailed in Thailand for stealing a dressing gown returns to Australia - gets arrested

rooster59

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there any information why this guy had stolen a dressing gown? I mean why would somebody do that?

I hope that he didn't sexuelly assault the gown in a violent way. 

Must be the news of the year 2019.  

5 hours ago, mercman24 said:

just proves how stupid the thai justice system is, one year in jail for stealing a dressing gown, oh, of course, he is a farang,, do all these people  get their money back when a Thai steals from them ? no, of course not, *sorry, i spent it all*

7 months, not one year.   And, without knowing the circumstances of the theft, the punishment may have been justified.

"do all these people  get their money back when a Thai steals from them ? no, of course not..."

Maybe they do if the stolen goods are recovered but what's the relevance of that, did the Australian have to compensate his victim ? Thais convicted of theft get punished also.

5 hours ago, Lucius verus said:

I hope the embassy has the good sense and reject any visa app the clown lodges.

Good chance the kid isn't even his.

If they get to Australia the first thing they'll do is apply for child support,family allowance,subsidised public transport,free health care for mummy etc

Australia is not Canada. I would extend the excellent 120 point system as well for Thai & Filipino wives . You don't pass the test you don't get in.

Is it still OK to shag them on their home ground though?

Yes Thais are never punished for the crimes they commit, only farangs go to Thai jails. I guess the 250,000 farangs in Thai jails are really in trouble. I sometime wonder about the people here who always complain about how unfair Thailand is to non Thais. Yes, there are alot of Thais in jail here they are very harash on the lower classes that commit crime that includes any farang who is stupid enough to commit a crime. You have to rmember the typical farang that comes to Thailand is considered to be a member of the lower classes who will be punished for commiting a low class crime stealing a dressing gown.

He will be in for a big surprise at the difficulties he will face attempting to get the g/f even a tourist visa these days, let alone a "partners" visa. Then there is the cost for the visa, supporting her, medical insurance for her, birthing costs, and no chance of her getting any Commonwealth Benefits

4 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

What I don't understand is why, having been released in April (at which point presumably, he must have completed his sentence) he was re-arrested when trying to leave the country. Did he commit a new offence in the meantime? If he did, there's no mention of it.

Possibly for overstay?

8 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

They tend to be very harsh on crimes against property in Thailand, theft etc.

Harsh!? They're just not as stupid & liberal as they are in the West!

"Under the Criminal Code of Thailand, whoever dishonestly takes away any thing that belongs to another person shall be imprisoned for three years and shall pay a fine of 6,000 Baht". 

Thats totally BS and you know it.

Money in any society tilts the balance, you get to be able to buy top quality attorneys, not some overworked Public Defender.

But in general, the justice system in the West tends to work overall. Ask Jeff Skilling, even after paying $15M for his attorney he still got banged up for 15 years.

Thailand however, if you're a poor kid caught with a few yaba pills you're headed to the slammer for a few years.

Rich and influential, you pay off the cops and the judiciary and you can literally get away with murder. Read TVF it's littered with examples.

So this is nothing to do with the rights or wrongs of foreign judicial systems, it's all about the corrupt and unjust Thai system.

Not saying what he did wasn't wrong, but it's is disproportionate compared to a young unlicensed rich girl who can kill 9 people in a car wreak and just because Mom & Dad can grease enough palms she gets off scot free

10 hours ago, rooster59 said:

However, after arriving in Australia on Friday he was arrested again for breaching the community corrections order. 

That's like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire... but I guess the foods better on Oz jails though ?

7 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

No that used the be the case under Common Law, like England and Wales it’s all burglary in Australia now, with Aggravated Burglary if you are carrying a weapon or know someone is inside. Day or night is irrelevant.

didnt know that. I was a prosecutor in oz until 2005.

11 hours ago, Lucius verus said:

I hope the embassy has the good sense and reject any visa app the clown lodges.

Good chance the kid isn't even his.

If they get to Australia the first thing they'll do is apply for child support,family allowance,subsidised public transport,free health care for mummy etc

Australia is not Canada. I would extend the excellent 120 point system as well for Thai & Filipino wives . You don't pass the test you don't get in.

Well, no he will need at least $7000 AUD for the spouse visa and show means to support her and private health insurance and no access to benefits for two years, so no, it will not happen. 

Additionally it is a one to two years application. 

What are the chances? 

9 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Is looking up a dressing gown the same as looking up a skirt?  If so you can get in trouble for doing that! ????

Sorry!

Never tried it, but I once was given a big smile when caught looking down a blouse.

:biggrin:

6 hours ago, P Funk said:

Why don’t country’s criminal agencies provide info to the airport immigration departments of all those who shouldn’t be able to leave the country? Just a click to nab these perps. 

Why should a minor criminal penalty stop one travelling?

He was on community service, should have notified/requested consent to travel, then it would have been ok consent given, didn’t report, that’s when he breached the order

14 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Is there any information why this guy had stolen a dressing gown? I mean why would somebody do that?

I hope that he didn't sexuelly assault the gown in a violent way. 

Must be the news of the year 2019.  

Probably from a hotel! Pretty unlucky if that's the case, loads of stuff get misappropriated from them!!

Archived