'Boris blimp' takes to the London skies in pro-EU protest

rooster59

'Boris blimp' takes to the London skies in pro-EU protest

2019-07-20T153858Z_1_LYNXNPEF6J0BE_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU-MARCH.JPG

A giant inflatable blimp depicting Boris Johnson is seen near The Houses of Parliament ahead of anti-Brexit 'No to Boris, Yes to Europe' protest in London, Britain July 20,2019. REUTERS/Simon Dawson

LONDON (Reuters) - Opponents of Britain's exit from the EU hoisted a "Boris blimp" portraying the UK's likely next prime minister as a crying child as they demonstrated outside parliament on Saturday.

Boris Johnson, a former London mayor, has been one of the figureheads of the movement to take Britain out of the EU and has pledged to complete the schism by the end of October.

Inspired by the orange blimp of a baby Donald Trump that mocked the U.S. President during his visit to London last month, the balloon featured Johnson in a t-shirt emblazoned with a red bus and the figure 350 million pounds, referring to his promise of clawing back cash from Brussels to spend on Britain's state health service instead.

Prime Minister Theresa May announced her resignation two months ago after failing to win parliamentary approval for the exit deal she had negotiated with Brussels and her successor will be announced next week.

Johnson, who is widely expected to replace her, has pledged to leave the EU with or without a transition deal on Oct. 31.

Brexit without a divorce deal would abruptly wrench the world's fifth largest economy away from the bloc. Critics say this would undermine global growth, buffet financial markets and weaken London's position as the pre-eminent international financial centre.

(Reporting by Stephen Addison; Editing by Stephen Powell)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-07-21

6 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Harking back to the Apollo mission that is so rightly in the news at the moment. 

I wonder if its possible to do a 'Docking Manoeuvre' with the Boris and Trump blimps?!

Trump would prefer Citizen Khan:

image.jpeg.09344c55c1c64c63e5d761fcb6cba873.jpeg

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Harking back to the Apollo mission that is so rightly in the news at the moment. 

I wonder if its possible to do a 'Docking Manoeuvre' with the Boris and Trump blimps?!

The Boris blimp does not have a proper nasal protrusion...

There was a lovely Boris anecdote in this week's Spectator. When he was at the Foreign Office he remarked to assembly of foreign diplomats, "We have invaded, defeated or conquered most of your countries but you are here as friends". Just fabulous. Apparently some of them were not amused

3 hours ago, JAG said:

The Trump blimp, on it's first outing back a couple of years was rather funny.

It's now, well, "been there, done that, got the tee shirt..."

Agreed. Also, if I was a stranger to the UK or US, I'd think that these remain and lefty protesters were supporting Boris and Trump by flying balloons depicting them. Damned kids in adult bodies these protesters, wish they'd return to their teaching jobs and quit bothering the sane.

5 hours ago, sungod said:

Whats the alternative?

I think that is a fair question but unfortunately we, the people, have no say in what the alternatives could be.  We are being led by fools and charlatans and they will continue to screw up our country for their ambitions.  None of us voted for May to be PM and none of us have voted for the buffoon Johnson to take over.  A small number of Conservative members make that choice while sipping their gin and tonics and waffling on about the problem of all those Johnny Foreigners being allowed into their local golf club.

We, the British public, are simply having to sit on our hands and do nothing.  It is not just the remainers or the Brexiteers, it is all of us and apparently, in the name of democracy. 

42 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Remoaners. Sad, pathetic, puerile.

I was watching a news report about James Goddard after he left court the other day.  Sad, pathetic, racist, homophobic moron and of course a leading Brexit activist.  However I know plenty of Brexiteers who are good decent people who are appalled by Goddard and his vile chums.  

It is a pity when people label others without knowing them at all. Brexiteers come in all shapes and sizes and so do remainers.  I prefer to judge people individually rather than lumping them into one box or another.  But then everyone in different so who am I to judge.

3 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Another non item of UK news. Not even on the BBC.

I agree.  The time for demonstrating has passed.  We are stuffed and nothing is going to change what we have ended up with until the people eventually get a vote.  I am not holding my breath over that though.

11 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

I agree.  The time for demonstrating has passed.  We are stuffed and nothing is going to change what we have ended up with until the people eventually get a vote.  I am not holding my breath over that though.

Well I guess all are free to demo about what they want, when they want. It's just that these balloons are getting a bit old, like me, eh!

28 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Let’s see what the forthcoming by-election turns up.

Johnson’s only interest is what’s good for Johnson.

8 hours ago, sungod said:

Whats the alternative?

In a country with 67 million inhabitans there should be at least a 100.000 candidates, who promise less, lie less and with a lot more brains than this lier, who is interested in one thing only; Boris for PM.

6 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I actually have always thought they look alike physically and mentally ... one with orange hair and the other with yellowish hair .. should be an interesting combination of weird and crazy times to come....

4 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

postpone the Brexit. Think first, then have a plan, and then act! ????

That is what Teresa May should have been doing from day 1, however nanny knows best, which is why the UK, EU and Brexit are where they are now.

She wanted the job, got the job and screwed it up very badly.

Archived