Illegal short term condo guests

canaydn

I'm a condo owner of a large complex in the Pratumnak area.  I'm sure many condo owners in Pattaya have seen the amount of illegal short-term Airbnb type guests increasing at an alarming rate here.  I see the government has laws in place to prevent this practice, but I don't see anything being done to stop it.  I have written several emails to my condo management and attended the owners' annual meetings, but other than talk about this problem, no solutions have been implemented. I really want to put a stop to this for obvious reasons, the most notable being that during high season I can't use my pool, fitness room, sauna or even elevators due to the massive amount of these illegal guest taking over the property.  Any members here feel as frustrated as I do about this?  If so, does anyone here have a good solution for this problem?  

I think many of us are in your same boat and are as frustrated as you are.  And, the problem seems to be getting worse, not better, with many condo projects.  Too often management promises to do something when in reality many of them are in cahoots with the owners doing the illegal rentals.  Annual meetings can be an exercise in frustration, as well.  I've attended a number of them at different complexes and the owners doing the illegal rentals are always the loudest and most vocal about opposing any efforts to curtail the illegal rentals while most of the other owners are too timid to say anything or lend support to anyone who does speak up.  Management makes its annual empty promises and, that's that.  Rinse and repeat next year.

There are a few glimmers of hope here and there, which I have mentioned on other threads.  The Cliff Condo voted to change its bylaws to prohibit short-term rentals.  In reality, Thai law already prohibits it but it doesn't hurt to have it in the bylaws, as well.

I visited Centric Sea Condo the other day and they are making an effort--dozens of signs all up the drive saying short-term rentals are illegal, this is not a hotel, we don't want you here, and so on.  The kicker is they have a sign prohibiting short-term renters from using the sky pools--which are reserved for residents only.  Perhaps the illegal daily renters will get the message they are not wanted.

Something similar was recently done at a condo project in Bangkok.  After intense pressure from the residents very angry at all the daily renters,  management at the condo put in place photo ID to use the pool and gym.  In order to get the ID, a resident has to show a rental contract or chanote, fill out an application, and supply 2 photos.  It's unlikely an illegal renter there for only a day or two will go through the bother--and likely the owner will tell them to not to even try.  So, although they will still be making a nuisance of themselves in the lobby and the elevators, at least they won't be at the pool or gym.  This condo also has had the Immigration Police in to do a raid.   Baby steps.

I think the Bangkok example points the way.  Residents opposed to the illegal rentals need to be far more vocal--and not just at annual meeting time.  They need to be in management's face daily demanding action.  And, demanding to see concrete results, not just more empty promises.  It might also start with working towards some small victories to start, such as limiting the pools and the gyms to residents with photo IDs.  

bad news i'm afraid, the new tourism minister has stated his desire to make short term airbnb lets legal (along with ride share companies like grab) so i doubt anything is going to get done by anybody in the meantime.

i think it may be something everybody has to learn to deal with ????

It is all a PIA if you live in a condo.

I moved from The Base it is the worst by far in the city.  100's everyday.

They are violating several laws:

No ST renters.

No reporting of foreigners stay.

No reporting of the income or paying taxes.

Nothing will be done though as reports are stating ABnB is bringing in millions to billions of baht.

Condo management always gives the "we cannot control" answer.

The group that could put a stop to all of it is the hotel industry.  It is taking business away from them.  They must be very unorganized here. Major hotel corporations should yield a lot more power about this issue.

Sadly, I see it never will change and just continue with more and more staying in condos ST.

The Centric Sea Condo sky pool is very nice I used it every day for a week when my friend rented a AirBnB for a week there....lol

But I can see why the owners are not happy...The pool area is not huge so it can fill up fast.......

Advanced issues found

6 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

The group that could put a stop to all of it is the hotel industry.  It is taking business away from them.  They must be very unorganized here. Major hotel corporations should yield a lot more power about this issue.

For some reason guest houses seem to be catching a lot of heat but not AirBnB?

3 hours ago, canaydn said:

I see the government has laws in place to prevent this practice, but I don't see anything being done to stop it. 

If they start to enforce the law on Airbnb they can say goodbye to the real estate market for new condos in Thailand.

24 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

The Centric Sea Condo sky pool is very nice I used it every day for a week when my friend rented a AirBnB for a week there....lol

But I can see why the owners are not happy...The pool area is not huge so it can fill up fast.......

This is available on MYPattayaStay.com

CENTRIC SEA / #130, 1 BEDROOM IN CENTRAL PATTAYA

Extra services
฿900.00 / 1 night(s)

3 hours ago, newnative said:

Too often management promises to do something when in reality many of them are in cahoots with the owners doing the illegal rentals. 

Isn't it customary for management to take a cut of the rental fee?

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

No ST renters.

Nothing will be done though as reports are stating ABnB is bringing in millions to billions of baht.

Sadly, I see it never will change and just continue with more and more staying in condos ST.

Totally agree. I am a long term renter at The Base and it is a nightmare. Now the taxi drivers are sometimes sitting around in the downstairs common areas and hasseling you as you get out the lift. I am glad I never bought there.

5 minutes ago, ianezy0 said:

Totally agree. I am a long term renter at The Base and it is a nightmare. Now the taxi drivers are sometimes sitting around in the downstairs common areas and hasseling you as you get out the lift. I am glad I never bought there.

For the love of God man keep your sanity and move out of the Base ASAP.....The Base is loaded to the gills with Airbnb..

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

No ST renters.

Yes, it's a mystery why the hotels haven't put some pressure on--they are losing a ton of business.  Almost every large new condo project that opens in Pattaya and Bangkok becomes an instant illegal hotel.

• 2 weeks later...

Some condos in Bangkok are already resorting to fingerprint readers instead of keycards, limited change of fingers per month. 

If there's enough active co owners, it can be done, but if the majority enjoys the money from airbnb, it's a losing battle 

On 7/21/2019 at 12:31 PM, canaydn said:

I'm a condo owner of a large complex in the Pratumnak area

How can you be the condo owner of a large complex.  I have never seen an entire complex legal title structured as a condo?  That would also make you 100% owner of the complex?  Sounds like you are a tycoon.

9 minutes ago, grifbel said:
  On 7/21/2019 at 12:31 AM, canaydn said:

I'm a condo owner of a large complex in the Pratumnak area

How can you be the condo owner of a large complex. 

He undoubtedly meant to say "at" a large complex, owns one condo in a large complex.

I also own a condo that has many short term rentals mostly chinese, and have been told by representative of the corporation that built the complex that Thai owners are not told about the 1 month minimum.  Thai owners are making money by renting out their condos and it is perfectly OK with them it seems?!? 

Again - this is thailand, one rule for foreigners another rule for Thai

Archived