Is a TM 30 still a requirement if you have a retirement visa

1 hour ago, Curt1591 said:

Interesting in that in all the 90 day reports, and all the extensions, same address, this has never come up.

Got a 90 day next week. We'll see what happens. 

It's a bit like the advice on buying a house as an investment.

Location, location and location.

????????

Many offices in different locations have different rules

3 hours ago, tgeezer said:

The landing card tells them where you are staying.

No it does not. It only tells them your INTENDED place of stay. The TM 30, 24 hours later, confirms where you are staying. And then that cannot be proven unless you have a home visit.

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

Many offices in different locations have different rules

But when it comes down to financial penalties there is only one legal price. You just can't make it up as you go along.  

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

If you have / get PR your name goes in the typical dark blue Tabien Baan book. 

If you have a 12 month 'O' Visa then you can get your name put in the Blue Book. PR doesn't enter into it really.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

What is the fine in between is the question asked.

That's up to the police officer, because laws regarding fines always use the wording "not more than x".

From reports here on Thaivisa it looks like most people are fined either 800 or 1600 THB

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

That's up to the police officer, because laws regarding fines always use the wording "not more than x".

From reports here on Thaivisa it looks like most people are fined either 800 or 1600 THB

Total tosh. They seem to have a minimum to maximum regarding every other fine but not this. Or so it seems.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, jackdd said:

At every immigration office they have a big rule book which they can look to in the event of a problem. There is no 800 or 1600 Baht fine 'up to the officer' rule. It's either in black and white or it ain't legal.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Total tosh. They seem to have a minimum to maximum regarding every other fine but not this. Or so it seems.

I think monetary fines in Thailand have no minimum, the law only states a maximum.

Of course there are some "common" fines, like 500 THB for riding a motorbike without helmet, but in theory the police officer could write you an official ticket with a 100 THB fine for this.

edit:

I just saw some offences have a minimum fine, but not reporting a foreigner as a private person doesn't, this is the law (Section 38 = TM30)

http://library.siam-legal.com/thai-law/thai-immigration-act-penalty-sections-61-84/

Whoever fails to comply with the provision of Section 38, shall be punished with a fine not exceeding 2,000 Baht. If said person is a hotel manager, he shall be punished with a fine from 2,000 Baht to 10,000 Baht.

Edited by jackdd

9 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Of course there are some "common" fines, like 500 THB for riding a motorbike without helmet, but in theory the police officer could write you an official ticket with a 100 THB fine for this.

No he can't the law is the law. It's not up to the officers discretion on the size of the fine. They have to abide by the law, regarding fines, as much as you do. What the point of having set fines if it's open to discretion?

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

At every immigration office they have a big rule book which they can look to in the event of a problem. There is no 800 or 1600 Baht fine 'up to the officer' rule. It's either in black and white or it ain't legal.

Whatever is written down someplace the fine they are charging for failing to file a TM30 at CW in Bangkok is 800 baht. It may vary from office to office.

2 minutes ago, Martyp said:

Whatever is written down someplace the fine they are charging for failing to file a TM30 at CW in Bangkok is 800 baht. It may vary from office to office.

But it should not. If it's legal then a ticket/receipt should be issued. Have you received as receipt for 800 Baht at CW? If so then that will be the legal penalty.

4 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

No he can't the law is the law. It's not up to the officers discretion on the size of the fine. They have to abide by the law, regarding fines, as much as you do. What the point of having set fines if it's open to discretion?

Thai law doesn't have set fines.

Most offences are from 0 to X THB. Some have a set minimum.

The police officer is legally allowed to fine anything in between.

For example i think speeding tickets are usually either 500 THB or 1000 THB.

I once got an official 300 THB fine for speeding, i was driving 50 km/h over the speed limit.

4 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Wish there more of me to make the stand instead of cowering in front of the immigration officers and boosting their ego's.

And a easy/fast way to find out how life, as an expat, is Cambodge, Laos, Philippines... 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jackdd said:

For example i think speeding tickets are usually either 500 THB or 1000 THB.

You think?????? A bit like a policeman saying I guess I'll fine you 100 Baht. I then say 'guess again'.

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

And a easy/fast way to find out how life, as an expat, is Cambodge, Laos, Philippines... 

Tosh, been here too many years to mention. Told to me way back then. Stand up to a Thai. They don't have the >delete< for confrontation. Try it.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

You think?????? A bit like a policeman saying I guess I'll fine you 100 Baht. I then say 'guess again'.

Yes, i think, because a police officer is legally allowed to fine anything between 0 and 1000 THB for speeding

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

A bit like a policeman saying I guess I'll fine you 100 Baht. I then say 'guess again'.

He may then be agree with 20ThB with no official documents, or maybe the maximum at the police station. 

Life is always full of surprises in Thailand. 

4 hours ago, tgeezer said:

Thais pride themselves on the word Thai meaning free.

Yes, it's Thai freedom or freedom for Thai people. It's in the national anthem that was written long, long before old farangs started pitching their tents here.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

No problem. Wish there more of me to make the stand instead of cowering in front of the immigration officers and boosting their ego's.

So you get a 500 baht 'fine' for being late. I reckon I've dropped more running for a bus when I was working in UK.

Of course that was only when the Daimler wouldn't start.