Fingerprinting at airport: data storage ?

Thailand introduced fingerprinting at airports - I have a question about what is done with the fingerprints.

Obvious use is comparison with a database of "bad people's" known fingerprints. OK.

But what happens with the fingerprints if there is no match in the database?

Are they being erased or are they being stored?

Will Thai immigration keep a record in their database with your passport details and full fingerprints?

They store them in their database, together with your passport, probably forever.

The first time you have to scan all ten fingers. After this usually you have to scan only 4 fingers of the right hand.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, manarak said:

But what happens with the fingerprints if there is no match in the database?

Are they being erased or are they being stored?

of course they are being stored. in the future you might try to return to Thailand under a false name.

along with a photo of you for facial recognition. The question is are the systems fast enough to compare your information in real time?

perhaps not now but in the near future. 

6 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

of course they are being stored.

& off course they are being "shared" ???? 

Probably conveniently forgot to tell us that bit.............

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Fingerprints are usually stored about like this, i don't think they store the complete image of the fingerprint (probably the complete image doesn't even come out of the fingerprint reader, if somebody wants to confirm this you have to check the model of the fingerprint reader they use and check the manual)

whatisbiostrip.png.2620355e6fd72c16da647d3edfb87a10.png

From these data points you can't recreate the original fingerprint (in theory you could, but there are nearly endless possibilites, so quite unlikely to achieve)

this is how searches are conducted. looking for matches like this and then progressively more points.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

With whom do you think?

Do you think Thailand would do this themselves? the rest of the "world" has been very accepting of "political events" in Thailand, I can can only put it down to compliance? 

57 minutes ago, manarak said:

that's where I hold a different opinion.

if fingerprints are stored, they can be acquired by criminals.

look at all the data hacking cases multiplying all over the world. I'm not talking about dating site data, but government data.

Bulgaria's finance ministry, Russia's FSB, etc. Thai Immigration ???

who here believes in Thai Immigration's IT security? half of their links are 404, there are more than a couple of abandoned Thai immigration websites with who knows what data behind them.

if the prints were obtained by criminals it wouldn't be very difficult to produce rubber models using a 3D printer and then placing the prints on a crime scene.

the "criminals" could include law enforcement officers eager to "wrap up" a case, possibly on orders from above.

this isn't unheard of when it comes to Thai police.

in general, I would say this considerably weakens figerprints' strength of proof, if not nullifies it in the case of high profile cases in Thailand.

Innocent people's fingerprints should not be stored as a full print. They should store a sufficent number of characteristics to make it recognizable, but not reproductible.

Storage of full fingerprint images is a major security risk.

Yes you are perfectly right! I am scared of everything around me too.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Does it really matter?

What would you do if you know they store them in a simple database and lots of people could access them?

a) Would you not come to Thailand anymore to avoid this?

b) Would you complain somewhere and/or insist they don't do that?

Accept it. TiT!

Yes, it matters. If they're found to be breaching the GDPR tthey will be sanctioned by the EU in some way.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Yes, it matters. If they're found to be breaching the GDPR tthey will be sanctioned by the EU in some way.

nope.

national security is explicitly excluded from GDPR's jurisdiction.

Thailand can do anything it wants with these fingerprints.

Edited by manarak

5 minutes ago, simple1 said:

SITA is the main player in the space you're questioning - check out their solutions

I couldn't find anything on who provides the IT solution to Thai immigration.

and even then, a reputable provider would only protect from outside criminals. it doesn't protect the data from misuse by its accredited users.

Edited by manarak
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, manarak said:

nope.

national security is explicitly excluded from GDPR's jurisdiction.

Thailand can do anything it wants with these fingerprints.

Time will tell us what happens when it's all hacked and available for anyone to download.

Thailand just draw a massive bullseye on it's back by creating this database which is obviously all online and connected throughout the country.

Do they have finger print scanners at immigration offices inside the country or only on the borders I wonder?

16 minutes ago, ukrules said:

national security is explicitly excluded from GDPR's jurisdiction

Funny isn't it? Governments and entities are all about freedom of expression and privacy and all that bullshit until it involves them ....and then the rules no longer apply ????

<removed>

Edited by ubonjoe
inflammatory off topic comment removed
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1