Fingerprinting at airport: data storage ?

2 hours ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

Edit - i'm mistaken, it's not actual fingerprint data that's being sold on the dark web. Yet.

Only a matter of time though... that combined with ID would be very useful to nefarious types https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/yp3nzb/i-replaced-my-fingerprints-with-prosthetics-to-avoid-surveillance

good link, interesting read, at least the first part.

2 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Did, I? Where did you read that information? The first thing when working in the IT sector is to be able to read and understand as well as value information.

from your general style of posting I would rather have guessed you in sales rather than in IT. or maybe HR.

Edited by manarak
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

if the prints were obtained by criminals it wouldn't be very difficult to produce rubber models using a 3D printer and then placing the prints on a crime scene.

Mission Impossible the movie 

3-3.jpg

To much overthinking goes on here paranoid Farangs.

With trying to be funny if I wanted to I could and so could 100% of you get hundreds of fingerprints in Pattaya or Bangkok or any bar anywhere in Thailand very easily. Selling them on shouldn't create any issues or problems.

Oh and if your really concerned buy some fake fingerprints (one time use bit like Johnny's) plenty online if you know where to look.

Personally I don't worry as I've got nothing to hide.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fourpack said:

To much overthinking goes on here paranoid Farangs.

With trying to be funny if I wanted to I could and so could 100% of you get hundreds of fingerprints in Pattaya or Bangkok or any bar anywhere in Thailand very easily. Selling them on shouldn't create any issues or problems.

Oh and if your really concerned buy some fake fingerprints (one time use bit like Johnny's) plenty online if you know where to look.

Personally I don't worry as I've got nothing to hide.

Apart from being framed for a crime by someone planting your fingerprints as false evidence.

Very unlikely as it is (at present) I will admit.

2 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Apart from being framed for a crime by someone planting your fingerprints as false evidence.

Very unlikely as it is (at present) I will admit.

If that was to occur then it would easily be sorted out with your movements and alibi's.

Why are children being fingerprinted? Why not think about it if it was done as a mandatory thing maybe it would help trace the ones that are adducted/sold

Makes perfect sense to me.

I have always believed that equipment is purchased for the backhanders, Immigration has cameras all over the place but we still have to provide our own photos in dealings with Immigration.  

If Immigration’s system it is anything like Apple’s fingerprint ID system there is no point in storage because they change frequently. 

2 questions. 1. Do I have the right to refuse having my finger prints taken which I see as a human rights issue?
2. If I never leave Thailand, so consequently don't cross international borders, I presume that I will not need to have my fingerprints on file, is that correct?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

19 minutes ago, overherebc said:

At the time some types of work in UK had a requirement for keeping your prints on record.

Many Thai government documents are provided with an option to used a thumb print as your identifier,why does Immigration want or need all 10 prints

• Like 1

17 hours ago, anon7854 said:

To be honest I find finger printing abusive. I mainly go to Thailand 2 times / year on vacation but now will have to reconsider. I avoid countries that take an interest in my fingerprints like plague ( China , US).  I come to invest and spend money in your country and you are already seeing me as a criminal?  The "prevent trouble makers" is hilarious. It will not prevent anything , it's just dumb. Giving my fingerprints away for some foreign entity where I have absolutely no guarantee on the use would give them too much power. I'm wondering what the GDPR laws are saying on this matter?

So will anyone  who enters Thailand need to have their fingerprints scanned ? Are then any exceptions to this (like diplomatic staff, kids etc) or there are no exceptions? Do we fingerprint Thai citizen visiting Europe?

Going to be pretty hard to avoid it, if you travel.

Screenshot (120).png

• Like 1

How long will it take Somchai and his Allstars to disconnect passport numbers, pictures and fingerprint data disconnect? 

Just asking ......... waiting for the moment I return and the immigration officer will ask, if I changed my fingerprints ???? 

39 minutes ago, fourpack said:

If that was to occur then it would easily be sorted out with your movements and alibi's.

errr... except when the person already is a suspect and has no alibi... and then the investigators want to make the case "watertight" ...

59 minutes ago, Henricus said:

if the prints were obtained by criminals it wouldn't be very difficult to produce rubber models using a 3D printer and then placing the prints on a crime scene.

Mission Impossible the movie 

3-3.jpg

FYI :

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/7/18299366/samsung-galaxy-s10-fingerprint-sensor-fooled-3d-printed-fingerprint

https://www.3dnatives.com/en/3d-printed-fingerprints-260920174/

13 minutes ago, graemeaylward said:

2 questions. 1. Do I have the right to refuse having my finger prints taken which I see as a human rights issue?
2. If I never leave Thailand, so consequently don't cross international borders, I presume that I will not need to have my fingerprints on file, is that correct?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I fear this might be introduced in the extension of stay procedure.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

How long will it take Somchai and his Allstars to disconnect passport numbers, pictures and fingerprint data disconnect? 

Just asking ......... waiting for the moment I return and the immigration officer will ask, if I changed my fingerprints ???? 

I was wondering about this too... what if a person's fingerprints change? refused entry?

18 hours ago, overherebc said:

Mine have been on record in UK since 1968-ish. Black ink and card type. I am assuming they have been scanned now and are on a database.

Don't see a problem.

As have mine in the USA since 1982 when I joined the Air Force and got my first security clearance.  And over the years, had to re-submit finger prints a few times for various jobs and security clearance upgrades.  Are they all electronic now?  One could guess so. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, norbra said:

Many Thai government documents are provided with an option to used a thumb print as your identifier,why does Immigration want or need all 10 prints

I have seen it happen in banks and the post office where mainly older people who presumably and rather sadly cannot write apply their thumb print.

7 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

The word paranoia springs to mind after reading your comments.

When we lived in Australia my Thai wife obtained residency and then citizenship.

As part of the process she had to have her fingerprints taken at the local police station by some computerized method.

These were then sent to the Thai Special Branch to verify that she didn’t have a criminal record.

If we follow your line of thinking she is now in danger of being “ fitted up” by unscrupulous police in two different countries.

Give it a rest please.

People said the same when I warned about the probably extent of illegal digital surveillance before Snowden.

I was called "paranoid" then too.

Consider all the cases in the USA where people were sent to prison or even got the death penalty based on false evidence...

Let's see, we got a kee nok farang that was at the wrong place at the wrong time, but we still lack that last piece of evidence... hmmmmm.

18 hours ago, jackdd said:

Fingerprints are usually stored about like this, i don't think they store the complete image of the fingerprint (probably the complete image doesn't even come out of the fingerprint reader, if somebody wants to confirm this you have to check the model of the fingerprint reader they use and check the manual)

whatisbiostrip.png.2620355e6fd72c16da647d3edfb87a10.png

From these data points you can't recreate the original fingerprint (in theory you could, but there are nearly endless possibilites, so quite unlikely to achieve)

You are very correct here, as far as commercial finger printing machines are concerned - ie Fingerprint Time Attendance System. But do Government institutions apparatus use the same system?

17 hours ago, Stocky said:

Double amputees and those born with symbrachydactyly

There is a solution to at least one of those problems, when our daughter was a few months old we obtained a Thai passport for her.

On that day for some reason they were very taking fingerprints manually and very kindly allowed her to give a toe print in case she licked the ink off her finger.

It appears in her passport.