Fingerprinting at airport: data storage ?

6 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

There is a solution to at least one of those problems, when our daughter was a few months old we obtained a Thai passport for her.

On that day for some reason they were very taking fingerprints manually and very kindly allowed her to give a toe print in case she licked the ink off her finger.

It appears in her passport.

Hmm, they obviously knew nothing about babies... ????

baby.jpg.3c9428198ff42079571cf742ff9ea0a5.jpg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Are they?  My 4 year old will be arriving on Friday, with his mother.  Will they insist on fingerprinting him (if they can catch him!)?

Can't say. I witnessed an 8-10 year old being fingerprinted. My daughters were fingerprinted as well; they are 12 and 14.

P.S. My Thai wife was also fingerprinted.

Edited by Gumballl
  • Like 1

I have installed these systems several times in the workplace and some 10 years ago the employees expressed concerns about storing fingerprints. First of all these systems do not store full images, only a number as a result of a mathematical algorithm as other posters have shown with the graphic. 

If it stored the full image it would be almost impossible at an airport to find a match in a few seconds, requiring different technology to do this. And we don't want longer queues on arrival do we?

Also to the original question, of course they have to be stored or the system would be a complete waste of time with nothing to check against. Finding bad guys who are already bad would mean checking against an external (Interpol for example) database so I have no idea if this is operational in Thailand yet. However if you get scanned for the first time and then turn bad, like stealing a dressing gown or putting your foot on someones money in a supermarket, your days are numbered.

Ok tinfoil hats off! ???? 

4 hours ago, graemeaylward said:

1. Do I have the right to refuse having my finger prints taken which I see as a human rights issue?

Of course you can refuse. Of course, you'll then spend a number of hours enjoying Immigration hospitality before flying back to from whence you came.

4 hours ago, graemeaylward said:

2. If I never leave Thailand, so consequently don't cross international borders, I presume that I will not need to have my fingerprints on file, is that correct?

Today, yes, tomorrow, who knows.

5 hours ago, fourpack said:

To much overthinking goes on here paranoid Farangs.

With trying to be funny if I wanted to I could and so could 100% of you get hundreds of fingerprints in Pattaya or Bangkok or any bar anywhere in Thailand very easily. Selling them on shouldn't create any issues or problems.

Oh and if your really concerned buy some fake fingerprints (one time use bit like Johnny's) plenty online if you know where to look.

Personally I don't worry as I've got nothing to hide.

That would be messy and time consuming. Also you wouldn't know whose prints they belonged to

If you stole the database from Thailand you would have thousands of nice clean prints on file with access to their physical appearance & also there travel history etc

A criminal might order a specific patsy to frame in place of the real perp; say a 6ft 1 inch white man with black hair who was in Thailand at such and such a date. 

It's probably what the CIA or other covert intelligence agencies do already

16 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Rub you're fingertips in sandpaper before you leave for Thailand erasing that swirly pattern then there'll be no images to record when you put you're paw in .. If they pull you up just say you've got smooth skin .. But if they take you're dabs on the way back out of Thailand there might be trouble after the skin's grown back .. 

Apparently if you submerge your fingertips in super glue or similar & let them dry it will prevent your fongerprints from being taken, alternatively just don a pair of gloves!

4 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

They will print out the fingerprints and store them in the big warehouse in Nakhon Nowhere together with the 14 maps to my home and my family photos. 

They will be perfectly secure in there too - the only map to the warehouse is stored in there.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, fourpack said:

To much overthinking goes on here paranoid Farangs.

With trying to be funny if I wanted to I could and so could 100% of you get hundreds of fingerprints in Pattaya or Bangkok or any bar anywhere in Thailand very easily. Selling them on shouldn't create any issues or problems.

Oh and if your really concerned buy some fake fingerprints (one time use bit like Johnny's) plenty online if you know where to look.

Personally I don't worry as I've got nothing to hide.

The data is much more valuable when it comes with passport numbers and a detailed travel history.

Don't think for one minute that people aren't already attempting to break into this system to steal every piece of information ever added to it - because they are and that will include 'friendly' foreign governments - that's what they do, all day every day.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2019 at 4:04 AM, LukKrueng said:

when cctv's where introduced and placed on the streets and roads I've decided I'll never let them take my pix as it's a big privacy violations and I avoided going to/through places with cctv's! as time went by there less and less places I could go to. Now I stay in my bathroom 100% of the time....

So you compare a personal and private thing like fingerprints with having your pic taken? wow.

13 hours ago, anon7854 said:

So you compare a personal and private thing like fingerprints with having your pic taken? wow.

no, my point was that the world we live in changes, not always in a way we like it. We might be able to resist for a while and avoid locations that have changed, but eventually it will become the new norm and we just have to accept it. Re fingerprints, that's the direction the world is going to. There are many countries in the world that have already implemented it, and the rest will sooner our later.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/22/2019 at 6:14 PM, lkv said:

We can zoom in, and see what they see ????

A bit blurred though.

1563183877937.png

Where did you get this? it is cool though.

What does each of the 4 participants state?

Does it really matter?
What would you do if you know they store them in a simple database and lots of people could access them?
a) Would you not come to Thailand anymore to avoid this?
b) Would you complain somewhere and/or insist they don't do that?
Accept it. TiT!

Pineapple, gummy bears, acid.
  • Confused 1

no, my point was that the world we live in changes, not always in a way we like it. We might be able to resist for a while and avoid locations that have changed, but eventually it will become the new norm and we just have to accept it. Re fingerprints, that's the direction the world is going to. There are many countries in the world that have already implemented it, and the rest will sooner our later.
The situation has changed.

Now, do not worry about having your fingerprints taken. This is inevitable.

Worry about how to protect yourself when this information is leaked and used not in your interest.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to add to this topic , I've just passed immigration a week ago in bkk on a tr-15 e-visa without having my fingerprints taken.  The lady just smiled and laughed at me and made a "quick before I change my mind " gesture and off I went. What gives.

Seems the other next to me were already being fingerprinted.

So it's just me or I am missing something.

Edited by anon7854