Water tank in village

Pdavies99

How much do you think it would cost to buy and fit a simple above ground water tank and pump etc for a small village family house? It is already connected to erratic mains water, but at a low pressure etc.

What parts are needed, I assume a water tank (Blue thing) and an automatic pump?

Thanks for advice

One advice if I may, don't go for the Blue Tanks, yes they are cheap, but they are cheap for a reason.

They let light go true them and with light and hot weather these tanks will be a breeding ground for algae !!

Spend some more money and get a tank that for example shows a sticker that it's Food Grade !

Although I understand the algae possibiity above, we have a standard blue tank outside. To my way of thinking, we do not have an algae problem because the daily through put of water, washing clothes/dishes, 4 people showering 3 times a day, watering cattle, occasionally filling the kids plastic swimming pool, flushing toilet, forgetting to turn off the pump to the tank tap, the pump filling the tank past overflow for a while ????, probably refills the tank with fresh water on average 2 - 3 times a day - We have had a blue tank for about 5 years now.

9 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Although I understand the algae possibiity above, we have a standard blue tank outside. To my way of thinking, we do not have an algae problem because the daily through put of water, washing clothes/dishes, 4 people showering 3 times a day, watering cattle, occasionally filling the kids plastic swimming pool, flushing toilet, forgetting to turn off the pump to the tank tap, the pump filling the tank past overflow for a while ????, probably refills the tank with fresh water on average 2 - 3 times a day - We have had a blue tank for about 5 years now.

Does that Tank get direct sunlight ??

We had one and it got direct sunlight, when we came back from a week away, we opened the tank as the water was smelling and what we saw was a thick layer of algae floating on top, we changed the tank for a so called "food safe" tank and never had a problem since.

It could also be that your mains has enough chlorine in it to kill the algae ?

4 minutes ago, MJCM said:

We had one and it got direct sunlight, when we came back from a week away, we opened the tank as the water was smelling and what we saw was a thick layer of algae floating on top, we changed the tank for a so called "food safe" tank and never had a problem since.

Yes tank gets direct sunlight, we pump from a bore so no chlorine, I fully accept that if there are going to be long periods where the water is not continually flowing your suggestion is good.

3 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Fail to see how having a COVERED water tank, wether 'food grade' or not (plastic or stainless) would produce water with algae. Algae needs direct sunlight (like plants) to grow, if the lid is closed that doesn't happen. It cant happen. Ive never had an algae problem in a water tank and I've had them in direct sunlight. 

5 minutes ago, Thainesss said:

Fail to see how having a COVERED water tank, wether 'food grade' or not (plastic or stainless) would produce water with algae. Algae needs direct sunlight (like plants) to grow, if the lid is closed that doesn't happen. It cant happen. Ive never had an algae problem in a water tank and I've had them in direct sunlight. 

I am only talking about the Cheapo Blue Tanks, they let sunlight straight through !!

Edit: I doubt it that I still have the pictures as it was a couple of years ago, but it was a thick layer of algae (green gunk) what was floating on top of the water

34 minutes ago, Pdavies99 said:

How much do you think it would cost to buy and fit a simple above ground water tank and pump etc for a small village family house? It is already connected to erratic mains water, but at a low pressure etc.

What parts are needed, I assume a water tank (Blue thing) and an automatic pump?

On the cheap side, a tank like this 1000l

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/water-tank-1000-l-food-grade-100-i237882417-s365020646.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.19.409272c9STlXqY&search=1

This type of float valve for the mains water supply, to keep the tank topped up;

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/s-flo-float-valve-size-12-inch-i145524250-s168224134.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.25.78fa4fe6qQkI06&search=1

And this automatic pressure pump:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/hitachi-water-pump-wm-p150xs-new-series-150w-i3765961-s4624991.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1.74742532hTB3Ae&search=1

This is about the most entry level you can get unless you want to get super cheap and I wouldnt recommend going any cheaper. 

Very easy to do.

you need to get a small tank, 1- 1500 liters should do, unless you want the capacity to store, vs maintain a constant flow with increased pressure (5-7000... better quality.)

the tank should be placed on a very well prepared (flat) surface... a concrete pad is good, but slabs will do, on a prepared bed (500-3000)

break into the mains supply and plumb that into the tank, with a ball type float valve to open and close the mains supply line (500)

then you need to install a pump from the bottom tank outlet, plumbed back into the old mains supply to the house (4000)

i would recommend installing an inline cartridge water filter somewhere between the pump and the house, as well. You would be amazed at how quickly they clog up with slimy green goop (2000)

Quality pvc pipe and quality glue should be used, and stick valves in wherever you think they might be handy, for future take off points or maintenance (1-2000)

I installed electronic pump switch’s operating off volume indicators, with low level light indicators etc, to mine, but they are a convenience more than anything, in case I wish to use tanker water supply, and I have 4000 liter storage capacity on site. (Although I recommend one for turning off the pump, in case your water level drops too low for any reason ( mains supply fault) (2000 baht)

obviously you will need an electrician to wire up your pump

so... on the cheap.... less than 15000 baht.... decent tank and quality pump etc.... 20000 baht plus.

mmm... your op said mains supply... secondary post says bore (not that the actual form of supply matters, but you might need to install an on/off switch on the tank “full” side, vs a simple float valve on the supply line, to protect the bore pump, although some models stop pumping at a certain pressure, which is fine, unless a line starts leaking) another 2000

if using a bore, consider using alum to control solids, and also consider adding small amounts of chlorine to the system yourself. Alum won’t hurt you if drinking, if you do that vs bottled water, nor will small amounts of chlorine, but judging the amount might take a bit of practice.... 100g to 1000 l maybe.... if you smell chlorine coming from the tap... oops... use less.

good luck.

Got to say we buy our drinking water now, cheap, and it is delivered, empties collected, saves messing around trying to make the bore water drinkable, must be pretty good though, cows take no hurt, but safer and less hassle to buy water in.

Just now, 473geo said:

Got to say we buy our drinking water now, cheap, and it is delivered, empties collected, saves messing around trying to make the bore water drinkable, must be pretty good though, cows take no hurt, but safer and less hassle to buy water in.

I did this for so long, and finally got tired of it and bought a small reverse osmosis system for my drinking water at home and it was the best decision ive made in a long time. I got mine when they were about 6-7k baht. Now they are about 3-4k. Its the same system that most people use to purify water. I use it for drinking water only, filling up old water bottles and putting them in the fridge. Been drinking bore water at the house for a couple years now. 

3 minutes ago, Thainesss said:

I did this for so long, and finally got tired of it and bought a small reverse osmosis system for my drinking water at home and it was the best decision ive made in a long time. I got mine when they were about 6-7k baht. Now they are about 3-4k. Its the same system that most people use to purify water. I use it for drinking water only, filling up old water bottles and putting them in the fridge. Been drinking bore water at the house for a couple years now. 

When we used rain water we had a Korean filter and it worked well, cheap water, maybe when I am in Thailand full time will look at something, for now my wife has enough to do so I don't create additional complications, bottled water suits for now, and will not break the bank.

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

One advice if I may, don't go for the Blue Tanks, yes they are cheap, but they are cheap for a reason.

They let light go true them and with light and hot weather these tanks will be a breeding ground for algae !!

Spend some more money and get a tank that for example shows a sticker that it's Food Grade !

Thanks, it will in a outside room.

I use concrete ongs for household water. I have 20 in 5 rows of 4. we started with 4 and I gradually built it up to 20 cross connected. They hold about 1,700 litres each but only about 1,500 usable. I have another 7 to one side not connected as spares and if necessary I can pump from them.

I also have 2 x 3,000 litre stainless steel tanks for rainwater collection from the roof of the main house.

10082010(001)_resize.jpg

10082010(002)_resize.jpg

10082010_resize.jpg

Normal water storage_resize.JPG

Fresh water storage_resize.JPG

8 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I use concrete ongs for household water. I have 20 in 5 rows of 4. we started with 4 and I gradually built it up to 20 cross connected. They hold about 1,700 litres each but only about 1,500 usable. I have another 7 to one side not connected as spares and if necessary I can pump from them.

I also have 2 x 3,000 litre stainless steel tanks for rainwater collection from the roof of the main house.

Thats pretty cool, but I wonder if it wouldn't have been cheaper to build a big underground cistern out of concrete. 

Thats all for rainwater? And you use it for watering crops? 

Pretty cool regardless.  

I'll just add my "standard" pump diagram ????

pump setup 2.jpg

We have a "crunchy bits" filter on the incoming supply then an RO unit for drinking.

Replace the incoming filter when it gets to be the colour of stewed tea.

5 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I'll just add my "standard" pump diagram

Thats a good diagram for a city water setup, and I like the non-return line. I used to do the same thing until the non-return valve started leaking and my automatic pump started kicking on and off pumping water back into the city water line. Now I just use ball valves. I gotta turn the valve manually now if I want to bypass. 

I'm on a well now as well, so its setup a little different because the jet pump generates a lot of pressure and the float valve in the tank wont hold closed. 

1 minute ago, Thainesss said:

I'm on a well now as well, so its setup a little different because the jet pump generates a lot of pressure and the float valve in the tank wont hold closed. 

Yeah, you'll need a float switch to control the pump electrically. We have one to control the river pump that Madam uses for the garden.

5 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, you'll need a float switch to control the pump electrically. We have one to control the river pump that Madam uses for the garden.

Yep, orange thingy with the floats controls the jet pump circuit now. 

I wouldn't even consider the cheap blue tanks - don't know about the algae thing but I saw one recently fitted and it was collasping at the bottom. For what you save its not worth the hassle. DOS tanks are perfectly acceptable and fit for purpose. The cost depends on the size of tank and the performance/brand of the pump. A basic 1500 litre set up with a smallish decent quality pump will be around 20,000 including one way valves, taps and pipe. It can be done for less but you may be disappointed in the long run. Also note that the grade of the tank will affect the price - a food grade tank being the most expensive. Try to site the tank/pump as close to the house as possible to maintain pressure.

Don't skimp on the supply pipe size or you will get frustrated in the future. If yours is a normal 2 or 3 bedroom house I would recommend doing the main pipe run in 25mm (1") with spurs to your usage points coming off in 15/20mm (1/2" - 3/4") depending on what they are for - kitchen/shower best in 20mm (3/4").

Its a very easy job to do yourself and there is some good information on the plumbing system here (note the bypass pipe (the one with non return valve 7 in it) should always be used and don't forget the one way/non return valves in the rest of the system:

https://www.jojo.co.za/water-storage-solutions/municipal-backup-water-storage-solutions/

Edit: I have just seen Crossy's excellent diagram above which is more or less the same as the above - sorry, wasn't intending to duplicate.

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

10082010(001)_resize.jpg

10082010(002)_resize.jpg

10082010_resize.jpg

Normal water storage_resize.JPG

Fresh water storage_resize.JPG

For one house or for the whole village!

13 hours ago, Pdavies99 said:

For one house or for the whole village!

Just for 2 houses really. I was at a stage about 5 years ago during the last big dry season where at least 20 of my tanks were empty and we like all the villages around were supplied by the local fire truck. Those guys were out on the road about 9 hours a day, 5 or 6 days a week for a couple of months delivering water to the villages.

The fire truck pumped into my spare ongs then I cross pumped into the main ongs. My wife and the neighbours used to go to the tessaban and sign for a delivery and when it arrived on the fire truck she had to sign again.

Archived